Pelicans Report

Thread: The Cavs new trade exception and us

The Cavs new trade exception and us

First off I will say I am not exactly sure of all the rules involving trade exceptions and would welcome any expert input on the cap ramifications or rules.

This new trade exception the Cavs acquired could be key to us making a bid for Durant next summer; It is a 10.5 million dollar trade exception (they also have a 2.5 or so but it cannot be combined with the 10.5.)

In order to have the cap space to offer Durant the max it seems that we would have to move Tyreke or Jrue. The way the season plays out will have a huge impact on how we attack the situation:

1. Jrue comes back healthy and strong and Tyreke fails to take a step forward in Gentry's system. Could we then make a move trading Tyreke into their trade exception? This gives the Cavs an extra layer of depth on their bench to try and win a championship this year.

2. Jrue continues to struggle with staying healthy and Tyreke becomes all that we hope he could be under the tutelage of Erman and Gentry. Would the Cavs even want Jrue? I see this as the worst-case scenario for a trade because they will be looking for depth to help in the playoffs not an injury prone player on the bench. Would you even consider trading Tyreke still before the trade deadline?

3. Jrue and Tyreke both have strong outings before the trade deadline making it dealer Dell's choice. Do you keep the band together? If not who do you move? Or do you wait until the offseason to free up the space to insure we make as deep a playoff run as possible to keep AD happy and show what we can be to KD? Or do you want to keep the group together for the long-term forfeiting any chance to get KD?

4. Both are just average neither elevates their game and neither gets injured. what would you do?

Another factor that I rarely see discussed when talking about KD's pending free agency is will he even be healthy or the same player after his injury/problems rehabbing. Is he a big enough talent that you take the risk?

I think personally I keep the whole group together this year (unless we somehow fall out of playoff contention) and wait till the offseason to make any moves.

It is the boring offseason we need something to talk about
    Last edited by JrueDat; 07-27-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Information