Pelicans Report

Thread: Why is everyone saying Davis will play More at center?

Why is everyone saying Davis will play More at center?

I don't recall gentry saying anything

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    For some reason there's this impression that more small ball means we'll try to play 82 games with Davis at center mostly.

It's a silly notion.

Because Gentry has said it. Its been reported numerous places

I don't think I've read or heard any quotes from Gentry claiming Davis will play mostly center. I do expect to see a lot more AD/Ryno on the floor together.

No one said anything about mostly center. look at the line ups he's played in since his rookie year this is his percentage of playing time at pf and c.

Year 1- 1845 total minutes - 56.5% PF/ 43.5% C
    Year 2- 2359 - 91%/09%
    Year 3- 2454 - 64%/36%

If you look at gentry in the past (look them up, I'm not hunting down those numbers too) he tends to use his true 4's as stretch 5's at about 30%-35% of their minutes played. Those players were amare, griffin, and one could argue frye and green and none of those players have the size or rim protecting potential of Davis. Because davis would provide all the same offensive potency at the 5 that those other players did, as well as fewer (if any) of the defensive deficiencies, common sense would lead one to believe davis might slightly exceed those percentages.

Most of the talk of his play at the center position comes from the perception of what gentry runs as a system, so I can understand the doubt. However, it was fairly well documented that the pels were looking for a more athletic combo forward early in free agency. This was reported by MM himself that they wanted to add a player that would be able to provide rebounding, physicality, athleticism at the 4 spot to pair with Davis when He (that's right I capital it) plays the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I don't think I've read or heard any quotes from Gentry claiming Davis will play mostly center. I do expect to see a lot more AD/Ryno on the floor together.
    Not mostly but he has definitely said that Davis will bee playing more 5 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
    No one said anything about mostly center. look at the line ups he's played in since his rookie year this is his percentage of playing time at pf and c.

Year 1- 1845 total minutes - 56.5% PF/ 43.5% C
    Year 2- 2359 - 91%/09%
    Year 3- 2454 - 64%/36%

If you look at gentry in the past (look them up, I'm not hunting down those numbers too) he tends to use his true 4's as stretch 5's at about 30%-35% of their minutes played. Those players were amare, griffin, and one could argue frye and green and none of those players have the size or rim protecting potential of Davis. Because davis would provide all the same offensive potency at the 5 that those other players did, as well as fewer (if any) of the defensive deficiencies, common sense would lead one to believe davis might slightly exceed those percentages.

Most of the talk of his play at the center position comes from the perception of what gentry runs as a system, so I can understand the doubt. However, it was fairly well documented that the pels were looking for a more athletic combo forward early in free agency. This was reported by MM himself that they wanted to add a player that would be able to provide rebounding, physicality, athleticism at the 4 spot to pair with Davis when He (that's right I capital it) plays the 5.
    Where did you get your stats?
    At basketball reference
    Year 1: SF 2%. pf 95%. C 3%
    Year 2: (our center was withey) pf 58%. C 42%
    Year 3: SF 3%. Pf 94%. C 3%

Playoffs of 87%. C 13% (played the 4th quarter in game one I recall)

Stoudemire 2009-2010 (gentrys best year)
    83% pf. 17%. C

If Draymond Green is the opposing center, then Davis should play center. If Andrew Bogut, not so much.....

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    If Draymond Green is the opposing center, then Davis should play center. If Andrew Bogut, not so much.....
    Matchups dictates a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Matchups dictates a lot

Might seem like a noob question, but why would we rather Davis match up against draymond?
    Draymond defended against Davis pretty well, it's that Davis was so good. And Davis guarding draymond wasn't beneficial for us at all, since Davis was held away from the paint, where he was an absolute beast in when positioned there in that series.
    And while Davis should overpower draymond rather easily, Davis is too quick for bogus anyway, and with his new 3 pointer, he could draw him away from the perimeter

Quote Originally Posted by DavisIsMyUniBro View Post
    Where did you get your stats?
    At basketball reference
    Year 1: SF 2%. pf 95%. C 3%
    Year 2: (our center was withey) pf 58%. C 42%
    Year 3: SF 3%. Pf 94%. C 3%

Playoffs of 87%. C 13% (played the 4th quarter in game one I recall)

Stoudemire 2009-2010 (gentrys best year)
    83% pf. 17%. C
    Go to that same site and look at the line ups he played in. When Anderson or Cunningham are on the court without asik, they count those 2 as center over davis. That site does a poor job or estimating positions for versitile players.

Davis developing a three pointer is great. Centers cannot guard him from the left high post already. So they would undoubtedly have trouble guarding him from the left side three point line.

But against smaller defenders, I'd like Davis to perfect his post moves so he could abuse them too, as opposed to simply out-jumping themon pick-n-rolls.

when davis drives on centers, help will come. that's why I'd like some perimiter players who can REALLY FINISH as opposed to simply hitting three's.

I may be the only person on Earth who doesn't believe the future of the league is all about three point shots. Although San Antonio and Golden State do represent a trend.

Sign,

Memphis

Need a definition of 'Everyone'

Thanks!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Need a definition of 'Everyone'

Thanks!

Whenever someone makes a prediction for next years Pelicans on the articles, most of the time they say Davis will play more at the c

"When a group of 10 New Orleans Pelicans players held a series of voluntary workouts in Los Angeles this month, their daily post-practice conversations kept circling back to a similar topic: The physical transformation of Ryan Anderson."

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/hig...n-conditioning

With this development, AD's weight gain, and with Gentry probably implementing a variation of D'Antoni's Suns, (apparently the same system he used with the Warriors last year) AD should be playing most of his time at center. Would be awesome if AD is announced the starting center for game one.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 09-14-2015 at 09:57 AM.

With this thinner frame, he looks ready to move around some well set screens.

Wonder if Asik has been thinning down a lil' too.

If Davis is really up to 252 he should get some more minutes at center.

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    Go to that same site and look at the line ups he played in. When Anderson or Cunningham are on the court without asik, they count those 2 as center over davis. That site does a poor job or estimating positions for versitile players.
    Anderson spent a lot of time this past year guarding opposing Cs.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    "When a group of 10 New Orleans Pelicans players held a series of voluntary workouts in Los Angeles this month, their daily post-practice conversations kept circling back to a similar topic: The physical transformation of Ryan Anderson."

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/hig...n-conditioning

With this development, AD's weight gain, and with Gentry probably implementing a variation of D'Antoni's Suns, (apparently the same system he used with the Warriors last year) AD should be playing most of his time at center. Would be awesome if AD is announced the starting center for game one.
    Care for a friendly wager that Asik gets the start? Whether or not AD gets more time than Asik at C is a bit up in the air but if Asik is healthy, he will start the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

AD gains a ton of weight in the offseason, but promptly loses it thanks to the mega-cardio grind that is the NBA season.

Still, he'll be playing a lot bigger than he has ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Anderson spent a lot of time this past year guarding opposing Cs.
    Yeah, Anderson is often placed against the beefier player when he and Davis are both on the court. Maybe it will change with AD getting stronger and Ryno slimming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Care for a friendly wager that Asik gets the start? Whether or not AD gets more time than Asik at C is a bit up in the air but if Asik is healthy, he will start the game.
    What is this friendly wager? Asik may start if he's healthy, and if he's not starting I think AD and Ryno will start. Asik may not be starting one month into the season. If Asik is starting I don't think he will play more than 20 minutes per game.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    What is this friendly wager? Asik may start if he's healthy, and if he's not starting I think AD and Ryno will start. Asik may not be starting one month into the season. If Asik is starting I don't think he will play more than 20 minutes per game.
    Avatar bets are usually a good idea.

Thread Information