Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans & Asik are talking new deal (deal is done-- 5/60)

Pelicans Pelicans & Asik are talking new deal (deal is done-- 5/60)

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    When were they not?

Of course we are going to have discussions but it all comes down to what the price is. I would like to keep him I just could definitely see us letting him walk after what we paid Ajinca. Can't ever hurt to have enough big men it's just so damn hard now with these contacts to even put his asking price within 5m of what it could be. Scary to think what some desperate team out there mite offer him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Hopefully its not for too much money or too many years. I get that Asik is a valuable piece to have for when the Pelicans have to match up against strong 7 footers, but he kills the spacing on offense and he isn't an all world rim protector. Would like to see him get less minutes this year if he is with the Pelicans.

I could see this signing going either way. It all depends on how we utilize him. And injuries... Don't forget those

Better not be too much
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Of course we are going to have discussions but it all comes down to what the price is. I would like to keep him I just could definitely see us letting him walk after what we paid Ajinca. Can't ever hurt to have enough big men it's just so damn hard now with these contacts to even put his asking price within 5m of what it could be. Scary to think what some desperate team out there mite offer him.
    Here's what I have been racking my head about, what teams are actually out there that

A.) would target Asik

B.) would be willing to pay Asik big money.

C.) would look to start him, which he wants.

D.)are actually in a financial place to do so and are at a point in their franchises progression they would view it as wise?

I know the number outside of us isn't zero, but I'm curious what that number would actually be and who they are specifically? Because I am actually kinda struggling to name some teams. Lakers maybe?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-01-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Here's what I have been racking my head about, what teams are actually out there that

A.) would target Asik

D.)are actually in a financial place to do so and are at a point in their franchises progression they would view it as wise?

I know the number outside of us isn't zero, but I'm curious what that number would actually be and who they are specifically? Because I am actually kinda struggling to name some teams.
    Clippers if they lose Jordan. Lakers could want him. Blazers if they lose Lopez?
    SIGN A SF

Hopefully a relatively short deal (2 years with a 3rd as team option would be great).

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Clippers if they lose Jordan. Lakers could want him. Blazers if they lose Lopez?
    Clippers I don't really see. CP3 loves his pick and roll centers that can finish and take lobs and Asik just doesn't have the hands. I would say their fallback would be Chandler.

Lakers I just edited and could see if they strike out on Monroe.

Blazers seem like they are between rebuilding, maintaining flexibility or trying to make it work. So maybe. But also a big maybe not.

Edit: scratch Chandler, didn't realize he signed with Suns.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-01-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

A.) would target Asik

I know the number outside of us isn't zero, but I'm curious what that number would actually be and who they are specifically? Because I am actually kinda struggling to name some teams. Lakers maybe?
    Yea I definitely agree I have been thinking and its hard to find a team that would offer him big $. Most of the established teams don't really need a center or are looking for someone else and teams that are rebuilding seems like it would be a bad move to make. This mite actually help us getting him lower then what he would get some years.

I think we will get competition from the teams that strike out with Jordan but yeah he wouldn't be a good fit with Paul.

Well Chandler just signed 4 years and 52 million and I would have to imagine Asik's value is lower then 13 mill a year. Chandler is still a very valuable player in the market so I would wonder if we could actually get Asik closer to 10?

If we dont resign him, then we basically wasted a 1st rounder, just saying

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    If we dont resign him, then we basically wasted a 1st rounder, just saying
    Nevermind that, we are basically screwed if we don't resign him. Would be forced to make a trade for a starting center.

A lot of people are underestimating our need for Asik.

Rolo in LA. If he signs with the Lakers that scratches off one of the few destinations I could realistically see Asik landing.

I am fine with 4yr 10-12m range and I think that will be the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    Based on Chandler's contract that is about what I am thinking. If we can get it to 10 that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    My hope is for 3 year, 30mil deal with the 3rd year being a team option.

I still would be shocked if LMA ends up in Phoenix.

This
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    My hope is for 3 year, 30mil deal with the 3rd year being a team option.
    I'm with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I'm with you on that.
    I think it's a fair deal that gives us flexibility going forward.

Thread Information