Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans & Asik are talking new deal (deal is done-- 5/60)

I know what the numbers say, but I'm going to have a hard time being heartbroken if we miss out on Asik or refuse to overpay. After securing AD, the next big moment comes whenever Gordon's contract comes off the books, be that in a trade this summer (unlikely); at the trading deadline (more likely) or next summer (sho' nuff). If we have to make do with a combo of Ajinca/Smith/Withey/MLE-body this year, I think that's not the end of the world.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agree. If 4 yrs, no more than 40
    My fear isn't necessarily a specific number, but that Dell pays more than "market value". If Dell believes Asik is a 3yr/$36m player, I hope he doesn't offer him that if no one else is willing to pay that.

I want Dell to pay market based specifically on the market for Asik, not on what other centers are getting. My fear is that Dell will be "fair" to Asik and somehow reward him even if his market doesn't develop.

The Franchise
    3 year 35 with first and second year being 10 and third year 15 with team option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    If we dont resign him, then we basically wasted a 1st rounder, just saying
    Yet people blow up on Dell for re-signing Gordon. It's funny.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

To be fair, 1st rounders don't have the same value they used to. I stand by the trade. 2 unproven players for an up and coming 22 year old all star.

The Franchise
    With contracts getting crazy this will put more emphasis on the draft, just my opinion.

Silence is Golden?
    Or
    Silence is Deafening?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

If the team still wants him that means most probably that gentry wants him, no? Knowing the guy, he must already have plenty of ideas to make asik go back to his houston form

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    My guess is that he will sign and it will be announced tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    If the team still wants him that means most probably that gentry wants him, no? Knowing the guy, he must already have plenty of ideas to make asik go back to his houston form
    Not necessarily. I'm sure gentry likes asik but in order to maximize this off-season we're pretty much forced to keep him. I don't think he'd be gentry's first choice if he actually had one.
    Last edited by ohnosono; 07-01-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Sports Whispers ‏@SportsWhispers 25m25 minutes ago
    Omer Asik and the Pelicans are moving closer to an agreement

Honestly I think we are taking the smart approach with Asik. Try and ink him early before the teams aiming for the top tier guys whiff and start feeling the pressure to get into a bidding war for second tier guys.

This way we might actually get a bit of savings. That is assuming Demps is reading the market right.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Honestly I think we are taking the smart approach with Asik. Try and ink him early before the teams aiming for the top tier guys whiff and start feeling the pressure to get into a bidding war for second tier guys.

This way we might actually get a bit of savings. That is assuming Demps is reading the market right.
    I agree. I think waiting could work to Asik's advantage as teams look around and get that "last girl in the bar at closing time" feeling about him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Sports Whispers ‏@SportsWhispers 25m25 minutes ago
    Omer Asik and the Pelicans are moving closer to an agreement
    Oh lawd... oh lawd.

Getting closer?

Like is this how it went?

Asik, "How about 12m/yr?"
    Dell, "How about 9.7?"
    Asik, "Geez I don't know. How about 11?"
    Dell, *casually waves Ajinca's contract and Perkins phone number around* "Hmm. I'm thinking 9.8"
    Asik, "Ok. Ok. 10m increasing."
    Dell, "Let me think about it."

Honestly, I am a little worried about this deal given some of the $$$ being thrown around today.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Honestly, I am a little worried about this deal given some of the $$$ being thrown around today.
    Bad contracts are a staple of early FA every year.

Danny Green and the Spurs showed that all is not lost in terms of value for quality. Heck I would say Ajinca showed that as well.

me too man
    SIGN A SF

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Not me. I've yet to see him give out a questionable contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Yet people blow up on Dell for re-signing Gordon. It's funny.
    Good point! Plus people want to dump Holiday for scraps because of a bad injury bug that he is very likely to turn around. A little hypocritical if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Bad contracts are a staple of early FA every year.

Danny Green and the Spurs showed that all is not lost in terms of value for quality. Heck I would say Ajinca showed that as well.
    Brendan Wright too

Monta Ellis will likely get 3/32 from Indy

I hope its lower but My predicted salary for Asik will be 10.5 mil per year...

I think we get Asik for a pretty good deal and I'm all for bringing him back in that case. He doesn't have much leverage against us with his services being valued but very limited with lots of teams having a good enough center not to waste more $ or having a young center they plan on having to play soon. I think we are sitting in a very good position. Also don't freak out if he gets a deal that's seems high because we have to take the new future cap in mind. It's hard adjusting to the #s and I'm having a lot of trouble but try.

Awesome deal for ajinca.

Asik is junk .. Sigh if his so good defensively why did our defence in the paint weaken

Thread Information