Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: RoLo back??

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I would say "best" case scenario is do you want Lopez, or do you want Asik and Ryan Anderson? Cause Ryan Anderson is the easiest way to get there in a trade out. And I'll take Asik and Ryan any day.
    But it's not that simple because using cap to sign Rolo also means you have no MLE or BAE. So the real question is something along the lines of:

Do you prefer Rolo and Dante Cunningham

Or

Asik, Ryno, Gerald Green, and Dante Cunningham

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But it's not that simple because using cap to sign Rolo also means you have no MLE or BAE. So the real question is something along the lines of:

Or

No, my example is to do a sign and trade and retain your exceptions. If you trade out Ryan and Tony Douglas, you could make a respectable offer to Lopez for a sign and trade with the Blazers. Of course assuming the Blazers are willing to discuss sign and trade scenarios.......like I said, best and easiest case scenario still isn't good.

Or

If you lose Ryno in a S&T, I think you still have the cap space to sign the players you would have used the MLE and BAE on (as we would theoretically renounce Asik and lose Ryno's salary).

Oh, Okay. So, in theory, you do a S&T with Ryno for Lopez. Let Asik walk. Have either small cap room and Room Exception to replace Ryno or MLE.

I'd rather Ryno and Asik and MLE than Lopez and MLE
    @mcnamara247

No, my example is to do a sign and trade and retain your exceptions. If you trade out Ryan and Tony Douglas, you could make a respectable offer to Lopez for a sign and trade with the Blazers. Of course assuming the Blazers are willing to discuss sign and trade scenarios.......like I said, best and easiest case scenario still isn't good.
    Still might put us under the cap depending how Asik is handled and what Rolo signs for. They would also need to S&T Asik otherwise releasing his cap hold and losing Ryno + Douglas would be more than Rolo gets in a deal.

Not saying it's impossible but would have to look at the numbers to see just how careful they would have to be. Would without a doubt be an awful lot of work. They'd have to REALLY want Rolo over Asik+Ryno.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'm hoping that resigning Asik doesn't take too long.

I don't understand how anyone can possibly think losing Ryno will make us better. Yes he has been hurt but look at the impact the guy has when he is healthy. That skill set is exactly what you want around Davis and for this system. Just look what he did in the Warriors game against the best defense in the NBA. He was very misused in Montys system with jog of his touches being basically isos creating for himself like Dirk. Anderson in a system that moves the ball putting and emphasis on 3 point shots is scary for other teams to think about. He is about as close as it gets to Kevin Love but half the price and more but I guarantee he isn't half the player. Just like its best to surround Lebron with 3 point shooters the same is best for Davis and Anderson mite be the best stretch 4 in the league. Too much out of sight out of mind goes on here which is understandable but I think he plays such a huge role for us and if he isn't in our plans then let him show his trade value giving us a much better piece around the trade deadline then getting scraps who don't make us better right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'm hoping that resigning Asik doesn't take too long.
    I feel the opposite. Every minute we don't hear about a contract, Dell will get better value IMO - both with Asik and the MLE/BAE

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can possibly think losing Ryno will make us better. Yes he has been hurt but look at the impact the guy has when he is healthy. That skill set is exactly what you want around Davis and for this system. Just look what he did in the Warriors game against the best defense in the NBA. He was very misused in Montys system with jog of his touches being basically isos creating for himself like Dirk. Anderson in a system that moves the ball putting and emphasis on 3 point shots is scary for other teams to think about. He is about as close as it gets to Kevin Love but half the price and more but I guarantee he isn't half the player. Just like its best to surround Lebron with 3 point shooters the same is best for Davis and Anderson mite be the best stretch 4 in the league. Too much out of sight out of mind goes on here which is understandable but I think he plays such a huge role for us and if he isn't in our plans then let him show his trade value giving us a much better piece around the trade deadline then getting scraps who don't make us better right now.

For the record, I don't think anyone wanted to get rid of Ryan. My points were that was the easiest and I certainly would NOT want to do even that. Signing Asik and bringing this same team back is the best way to go for sure.

Still might put us under the cap depending how Asik is handled and what Rolo signs for. They would also need to S&T Asik otherwise releasing his cap hold and losing Ryno + Douglas would be more than Rolo gets in a deal.

Not saying it's impossible but would have to look at the numbers to see just how careful they would have to be. Would without a doubt be an awful lot of work. They'd have to REALLY want Rolo over Asik+Ryno.
    Lopez is going to go for probably $12-$15 a year I'm sure. I am assuming he is going to cost a fair amount more than Ryan and Douglas, hence keeping us as an over the cap team(with Asik's cap hold.) I'm still not completely clear what happens when someone like Asik signs with another team and his hold is what keeps us over the cap.

For the record, I don't think anyone wanted to get rid of Ryan. My points were that was the easiest and I certainly would NOT want to do even that. Signing Asik and bringing this same team back is the best way to go for sure.
    Nobody wanted to get rid of Ryno? Have you been reading this board for the past 6 months? I wasn't specifically referring to you I just saw his name getting said in moving him and I think that is a mistake. I think keeping him and staying loyal we will be able to get him on an absolute steal for his next deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Nobody wanted to get rid of Ryno? Have you been reading this board for the past 6 months? I wasn't specifically referring to you I just saw his name getting said in moving him and I think that is a mistake. I think keeping him and staying loyal we will be able to get him on an absolute steal for his next deal.
    Fair enough and I am with you. Though if it brought back a solid starting SF, I could certainly be convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Well, read the thread. I don't believe there is a single person that said they wanted to trade Ryan Anderson. If you mean has there been a Pelicans fan on this board that has ever suggested trading Ryno.....sure. But that didn't happen in this conversation.

Thread Information