Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2015

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    There will be as many as 27 teams with cap space to offer a max deal next summer.
    Will we be one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Will we be one of them?
    Yes. Gordon and Ryno are coming off the books, so we will be able to offer a max deal. I'm 95% sure of this.

If durant wants to come here, u can be sure that dell will not have a problem with making the cap room work, i promise.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

http://deadspin.com/larry-bird-and-t...vid-1715322269
    I forgot that Indiana had a basketball team.

West is going ring chasing...and I can't blame him.

Do the Spurs have any use for him?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I really hope we take a chance at Gerald Green. I think he is a perfect fit here and can absolutely light it up being perfect off the bench. I think he can be a very similiar impact to what Danny Green is with the Spurs. Erman mite be able to improve his defense and if he does that the guy would be a stud. He has all of the athleticism and ability to play great D so maybe he can get it out of him. Turned Curry who was set in his ways kind of into a very good defender. Anyways I think Gerald Green can be exactly what we are looking for and a key piece of the bench for this team moving forward or filling in for Gordon if he gets moved. I like the idea having Pondexter/Green sharing the 2 and 3 spots. Versatility is so important and the more the merrier.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-02-2015 at 02:10 AM.

I think that the most what he can get is full MLE. So it depends if we will decide to give it to one player or split it...

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Yes. Gordon and Ryno are coming off the books, so we will be able to offer a max deal. I'm 95% sure of this.
    Not what BSS is posting on twitter, but they may be considering some cap holds.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Gordon and Ryno alone will be 22mil coming off the books, add that to the expected 20mil cap increase.

Free Agency 2015

Here's the spreadsheet Mason posted. Cap is expected to be 89m next year. Assuming we *edit* renounce *edit* Ryno's cap hold (allowing us to use his Bird's Rights to sign him while over the cap) we would need to clear roughly 5m to be able to offer a veteran max deal.

Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    That's impressive work by Mason. Seriously, lucky to have stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Here's the spreadsheet Mason posted. Cap is expected to be 89m next year. Assuming we keep Ryno's cap hold (allowing us to use his Bird's Rights to sign him while over the cap) we would need to clear roughly 5m to be able to offer a veteran max deal.

With Ryno's cap hold, we would be at 78.7 million. That would leave 10.3 in cap room. WITHOUT Ryno's cap hold, we would need to clear an additional 5 million to make a max offer.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    With Ryno's cap hold, we would be at 78.7 million. That would leave 10.3 in cap room. WITHOUT Ryno's cap hold, we would need to clear an additional 5 million to make a max offer.
    So, with that, the only way I'd want to trade for Harris or anyone would be if Tyreke were involved, and the money we are taking back is close to the 10 mil that Evans is making. If we take anything back that is more it will be hard to create the cap in order to make a veteran max contract.

Sorry just looked at the total on the bottom assuming that was the sum of all. I'll have to edit it to be clear. It's what I get for waking up early and dealing with numbers!

I've got to assume this means Ryno is gone next year. No way to fit him in unless we struck out in FA.

Sorry just looked at the total on the bottom assuming that was the sum of all. I'll have to edit it to be clear. It's what I get for waking up early and dealing with numbers!

I've got to assume this means Ryno is gone next year. No way to fit him in unless we struck out in FA.
    Unless your big move is a trade this year and then you go over with Ryno's Bird Rights.

But yeah, I have always assumed this is Ryno and Gordon's final year one way or another.

I'm not too well-versed with this stuff, but could someone briefly explain Ryno's cap hold to me? Is it similar to a team option, or is it guaranteed money?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    So, with that, the only way I'd want to trade for Harris or anyone would be if Tyreke were involved, and the money we are taking back is close to the 10 mil that Evans is making. If we take anything back that is more it will be hard to create the cap in order to make a veteran max contract.
    And saying as Tyreke is one of our best bets to clear the needed cap space next year I'm not sure I'd want to move him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post

If a guy like Durant wants to come, you would do anything to make the room. It won't be an issue for a guy like that. If he wants to be here, we will find the room.

Unless your big move is a trade this year and then you go over with Ryno's Bird Rights.

But yeah, I have always assumed this is Ryno and Gordon's final year one way or another.
    Never a dull moment for Pels fans. Now the next year will be spent wondering if we make a trade deadline move for our big move or if we let Ryno walk and make it this summer.

What exactly is a cap hold and why is there one for Ryan in 2016-2017?

***BREAKING NEWS***
    Austin Rivers is testing the market

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    ***BREAKING NEWS***
    Austin Rivers is testing the market
    I think it's cute the way he thinks he has a market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    I'm not too well-versed with this stuff, but could someone briefly explain Ryno's cap hold to me? Is it similar to a team option, or is it guaranteed money?
    The cap hold is how much cap space a player on your team takes up whenever you own his Bird's Rights and his contract ends. It's literally a cap. hold. It's not a contract or guaranteed or anything like that. It is a way for the NBA to keep teams from being able to have all their players expire, sign a ton of new ones, and then resign their original players.

Basically the number is a based off of the players current contract (120% if I'm not mistaken) and "holds" that amount of cap space for the team wanting to keep that player's Birds Rights. The reason a team would want to keep a players rights is because it allows them to go over the cap to sign the player.

So there are two options: 1) Keep the players Rights and have the cap "hold" eat part of your cap space but be able to resign the player while being over the cap. Or 2) Renounce the players rights, therefore getting rid of the cap hold, and being able to have access to all of your available cap space to sign any player. You will not be able to resign the player over the cap if you get rid of his rights.

The cap hold is how much cap space a player on your team takes up whenever you own his Bird's Rights and his contract ends. It's literally a cap. hold. It's not a contract or guaranteed or anything like that. It is a way for the NBA to keep teams from being able to have all their players expire, sign a ton of new ones, and then resign their original players.

Basically the number is a based off of the players current contract (120% if I'm not mistaken) and "holds" that amount of cap space for the team wanting to keep that player's Birds Rights. The reason a team would want to keep a players rights is because it allows them to go over the cap to sign the player.

So there are two options: 1) Keep the players Rights and have the cap "hold" eat part of your cap space but be able to resign the player while being over the cap. Or 2) Renounce the players rights, therefore getting rid of the cap hold, and being able to have access to all of your available cap space to sign any player. You will not be able to resign the player over the cap if you get rid of his rights.
    Alright, that makes sense. Thanks.

@WojYahooNBA: Free agent Greg Monroe will sign a maximum contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

I like it for the Bucks. They needed scoring and have enough defense to make up for him on that side. Good fit for both.

@WojYahooNBA: Free agent Greg Monroe will sign a maximum contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

I like it for the Bucks. They needed scoring and have enough defense to make up for him on that side. Good fit for both.
    Wasn't he being linked to the Blazers for a while? Good to see him stay in the East.

Thread Information