Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency 2015

Banned

NBA Free Agency 2015

I'm hoping we can keep a thread about only FA Rumors, etc. so it's easy to follow.

Per Woj, LMA is going to be between SA and POR (because of the 5th year). From everything I've read, he's done in Portland, so it looks like LMA will be on the Spurs.

Also, how can you not love Pop (from HoopsHype):

Tonight, an hour before midnight, the Spurs will begin calling free agents. Gregg Popovich, however, says he won’t join in. “I’m not calling anyone at midnight,” he said. “I’ll be in bed. And if that’s the difference in someone coming or not coming, then I don’t want them.”

Banned
    It also appears Gasol is staying put in Memphis, scheduling no other visits and only meeting with the Grizzlies.

As a Pelicans fan, what's our best case scenario with LaMarcus Aldridge? Obviously, best case is him heading to the East. If he stays in the West, however, would it be better for us for him to land on a team that is currently irrelevant like the Lakers, or to go to a team that is already stacked like San Antonio?

The concern, of course, with him going to the Lakers is that he could actually make them another team we have to contend with. The question is would we stay better than the Lakers, and therefore make them a better landing spot.
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 06-30-2015 at 10:09 AM.

That artice on BSS has really sold me on Aminu again.

Hope we can get him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    As a Pelicans fan, what's our best case scenario with LaMarcus Aldridge? Obviously, best case is him heading to the East. If he stays in the West, however, would it be better for us for him to land on a team that is currently irrelevant like the Lakers, or to go to a team that is already stacked like San Antonio?

The concern, of course, with him going to the Lakers is that he could actually make them another team we have to contend with. The question is would we stay better than the Lakers, and therefore make them a better landing spot.
    I think the fact that he is leaving the Blazers helps enough. I don't think he puts the Lakers above us with a 38-year-old Kobe and the Spurs are an aging contender. He definitely helps the Spurs a lot, but I'm not sure for how long given Manu and Tim are on their last leg. Obviously, the more players that go East the better, but I think him being with either of those teams is ok. Blazers are pretty much out of the way now IMO.

Yall are forgetting Kwahi and Parker are still on those teams, and the biggest factor.... Pop. LMA going to the Spurs would be the worst case scenario for us. East being the best, and Lakers being in the middle of those three options.

To me, Aldridge going to SA would be great. Effectively knocks Blazers out of the playoffs and he is such a bad fit for what the Spurs do IMO. Ball stopping mid range guy

Of course they will still be good but I like playing that version of the Spurs better than the swarming defensive version that shoots tons of 3's
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Yall are forgetting Kwahi and Parker are still on those teams, and the biggest factor.... Pop. LMA going to the Spurs would be the worst case scenario for us. East being the best, and Lakers being in the middle of those three options.
    I have no idea the Lakers cap situation but if they pull off a Deandre Jordan + LMA/Love offseason combined with Kobe, Russell, Randle that's a pretty solid team. Would take another year or so to gain the depth but the core would be there.

Jrue in a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    Jrue in a trade?

I saw that but you can not trust Chris Broussard and his sources half of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    Jrue in a trade?

Jrue 4 DMC straight up

I don't know if I agree with others that LMA to the Spurs is less dangerous than their current format. While LMA is a star, and not as well rounded as Duncan, Pops has the ability to get players from here_ to here-. He puts guys in a position where their skills flourish and their weakness' are better masked. I think any player is a drop off from Duncan (heck, as great as AD currently is, he would be a slight drop off from Duncan because of how well Duncan knows that system), so a team of LMA, TP, Kawaii, and Pops is as good as your going to see in the West.

But I do love how the Blazers are now turning into Lillard and a bunch of guys.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Chris Broussard just mention on ESPN that we have some interest in Tobias Harris .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

The article is from April, but it's still a good read from Zach Lowe on free agency:
    The NBA Groupon Games: Which Players Are the Next Free-Agent Steals?

While we’re sorting through byzantine playoff scenarios and panic-vomiting all over our awards ballot, team executives are gearing up for their busiest period of the year: the draft, the late-June trade boom, and free agency.

These executives have talked a lot about finding “the next DeMarre Carroll” — a free agent blossoming under the radar, and perhaps in limited minutes, raising the possibility that a smart team could steal him on a below-market contract. The Hawks saw Carroll take baby steps as a 3-point shooter in Utah, hitting 20 of 70 from deep in 2012-13, and wagered he could turn himself into a legitimate 3-and-D starter in the proper system. Atlanta jumped the market with a two-year, $5 million deal that fell into the sweet spot between Carroll’s minimum salary and the midlevel exception.

Carroll proved them right, and he’s poised for a big-money contract this summer as he hits free agency again. After graduating from being the next version of his prior self, Carroll has become too good in too high-profile a role. Ditto for guys like Kosta Koufos, Brandan Wright, Omer Asik, Amir Johnson, and perhaps even Jared Dudley. They don’t put up gaudy stats, or even start in some cases, but most of the league has figured out how good they are. They may outperform their next contracts, but the margins won’t be as laughably huge as Atlanta has enjoyed with Carroll.

The search is on for the next Carroll-style gem. Here are some candidates:
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...-agent-steals/
    Last edited by NOLA_Dave; 06-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.

More Zach Lowe:
    The Eight Biggest NBA Free-Agency Questions

When free agency opens at the stroke of midnight, the NBA will leap into its great unknown: an unprecedented three-year spending frenzy that will change the league forever and stand out in history as an outlier blip in which the NBA lost its mind.

The storm isn’t on the horizon anymore. It’s here. The salary cap is at $67 million for next season, but it will soar to a projected $90 million in 2016-17, when the league’s gargantuan national TV deal kicks in. That is the largest one-year jump in history, but it’s only the start; the cap will rocket up again in 2017-18, to a projected $108 million, before finally settling around that range.

The league’s intricate salary system isn’t equipped for a cash flood like this. It is a sandcastle sitting in the path of a tidal wave, which is why Adam Silver pitched tweaks that would have deflated the cap spike. Nobody knows how players, agents, and teams will operate now that the old incentive system is borderline obsolete.

The real bonanza will come next summer, when 25 or so teams could have enough room for at least one max-level contract. But the scheming starts now, during this one-year waiting period before the cap boom. What if the calm before the storm is really just a less severe storm?
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...ncy-questions/

There was a Twitter account that updated tweets from Woj., Stein, and others. I forgot its name, but I found it very useful. Does anyone have that Twitter account I am talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Chris Broussard just mention on ESPN that we have some interest in Tobias Harris .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think he would be a great fit here. However, the two issues are: 1) I think he will be overpaid (hearing $12-$14 a year) and 2) not sure how we could pull it off.

Sports Whispers
    @ SportsWhispers
    5h
    Regarding Robin Lopez: The Pelicans, Celtics, Bucks, Hawks, Lakers and Mavericks are among those teams interested
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    Interesting. If Asik does leave, I hope we have a plan for a S&T.

Banned
    If we land T. Harris, I am happy with free agency.

Does R. Lopez, as opposed to Asik, help us save money for other FA's?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    If we land T. Harris, I am happy with free agency.

Does R. Lopez, as opposed to Asik, help us save money for other FA's?
    I figure Lopez will cost MORE than Asik.

Thread Information