Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Monroe a good fit for the pelicans?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Is Monroe a good fit for the pelicans?

Greg Monroe openly expressed interest in signing with the Pelicans but says the team has not contacted him yet. He said he'd want a 2 year deal. He can score and rebound. If AJINCA and Asik leaves can we land Monroe? Would the cash we received from philly help? If we could get him would you be for it?

I think if we could add him and a solid perimeter defender our team would be so much better. Asik was a disappointment.

If we see our team healthy even if we just make minor changes I think we'll win 55 games. I think we'll be more dominant than people expect.

I would like to see Monroe in a pelicans uni. He's a athletic big man that can rebound with a post game. If he can get him to be a decent rim protector, he can help AD by letting him work outside while he takes on the down low.

I think were all overthinking this free agency thing. I am going to go on record and say most people will be disappointed with high expectations and hopes. That is only my opinion though. I feel that pels are just gunna run it back again, Healthy, this team was way better than the record. Once again just IMO, but I believe that Gentry was our big FA acquisition, and I am on the HE Tianju band wagon, just because I love chinamen ballers. #Lemmegetdat #Pels

Quote Originally Posted by xVikingx View Post
    I think were all overthinking this free agency thing. I am going to go on record and say most people will be disappointed with high expectations and hopes. That is only my opinion though. I feel that pels are just gunna run it back again, Healthy, this team was way better than the record. Once again just IMO, but I believe that Gentry was our big FA acquisition, and I am on the HE Tianju band wagon, just because I love chinamen ballers. #Lemmegetdat #Pels
    Although I think you are probably right, I think this roster still needs tweaking (and maybe something we will have to wait another year to do properly).

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Would the cash we received from philly help?
    No. It simply goes in Benson's pocket. It doesn't effect the cap in any way.

And no, we cannot get him. We don't have the cap space to sign him into space, and even if we did, we would lose our exceptions. We COULD possibly do a Sign and Trade but thats unlikely too.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    The fact that he voiced his interest in playing here makes this a whole lot more likely.

He said he's looking for somewhere that he could be the missing piece. Well that fits perfectly for us, because he may be.

A sign and trade is possible, and it would be idiotic of our FO to not at least try and make that work.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Monroe is the perfect fit. Gives us another offensive weapon down low which we needed and can work well in transition.

Really hope we can somehow land him. The pieces match too perfectly.

Ship Ryno

Quote Originally Posted by xVikingx View Post
    I respect your opinion, but if gentry has to be our big acquisition... oh god, we best have luck.

People on here need to educate themselves about how the cap works, what players are doing and why, and understand that in all likelihood we are bringing back the same core players and hopefully adding a mid level exception player. I mean ideally we get Dudley. Dream that size. We can't go after a player of even demarre carrol's stature and have little to no movable assets. This summer were basically standing Pat. Get used to it or be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I would love to get Monroe. Playing alongside Davis at the center position would give him much more space then he had with Drummond along with providing space Davis never had with Asik. The only thing Asik is better at is defense and I honestly think Monroe playing center could become a very solid defender. Davis and Monroe would give teams some serious problems in the front court and allow us to dictate games and teams rotations just like the Warriors but in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    People on here need to educate themselves about how the cap works, what players are doing and why, and understand that in all likelihood we are bringing back the same core players and hopefully adding a mid level exception player. I mean ideally we get Dudley. Dream that size. We can't go after a player of even demarre carrol's stature and have little to no movable assets. This summer were basically standing Pat. Get used to it or be disappointed.
    Does it make you feel smarter to keep repeating the same thing like other people are dumb and don't know the cap? No one here is saying to just sign him out right so educate yourself and actually comprehend what people are saying. A sign and trade for Monroe is as realistic as anyone else we would get. He stayed he would like to play here and instead of the Pistons losing him for nothing I'm sure they would be all for taking someone like Anderson off our hands or being a part of a 3 team deal. This is a message board to talk about these type of things not because they are a fact and we wait for every deal to be done before it is talked about. If stuff like this wasn't talked about this site would be very very boring so get used to it or be disappointed.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-29-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Correct. Our only option outside of the MLE and BAE appears to be a sign and trade. That is dependent on which of our current players another team may want, it any.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Does it make you feel smarter to keep repeating the same thing like other people are dumb and don't know the cap? No one here is saying to just sign him out right so educate yourself and actually comprehend what people are saying. A sign and trade for Monroe is as realistic as anyone else we would get. He stayed he would like to play here and instead of the Pistons losing him for nothing I'm sure they would be all for taking someone like Anderson off our hands or being a part of a 3 team deal.
    Cool.
    So what team takes Gordon, Holiday, Evans, Asik, or Anderson and how do you use the trades to get back enough cap room to get Monroe who is wanting max or close to max money? You said you're sure the Pistons would take Anderson? Why would they? Anderson has pretty low value right now. I mean, the only teams that would want any of those players would be for a swap, not a salary dump. And if no one is saying not to sign him outright then why doesn't anyone propose any of those necessary steps that it would require? Is it because it is incredibly unlikely? And personal attacks on a basketball forum are pathetic man. Chill out. Sorry to kill your disillusions of signing any offensive prospect but if you want to go there...

I would love to get Monroe. Playing alongside Davis at the center position would give him much more space then he had with Drummond along with providing space Davis never had with Asik. The only thing Asik is better at is defense and I honestly think Monroe playing center could become a very solid defender. Davis and Monroe would give teams some serious problems in the front court and allow us to dictate games and teams rotations just like the Warriors but in a different way.
    What does any of this mean?

He can become a good defender? Based on what? He's been a poor defender before Drummond while he was playing PF, what changed that would magically make him one now? Davis and Monroe can dictate games like the warriors but in a different way? What does that even mean besides a generalized sweeping statement that they could work well together? And look at Monroe's shot chart. the guy can't shoot. Sure he's a better shooter than Asik, but he shoots less than 35% outside of 3 feet and took 99.925% (real number btw) of his shots within 10 feet of the basket. There are reasons they'd work well together, there are arguments to be made for their pairing, there are ways to get him, but you didn't provide any of that. You provided a lazy "they'd work well because I think they'd work well" without any supporting arguments why which contributes nothing but adding another meaningless post on a message board.
    Oh, and it's "than" when comparing, not "then".

lol

If you want to play grammar police go back to the first post when you say "were" it's actually "we're" by the way.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    Says "And personal attacks on a basketball forum are pathetic man. Chill out."

Then proceeds to personally attack someone and not chill out himself.

Some people just like to speak their opinion. Some people dont have the time to play "at home GM" and do tons of research on salary cap figures.

Nothing GuardianAngel25 said was incorrect of extremely unrealistic.
    Just stated an opinion to contribute to a thread titled "Is Monroe a good fit for the Pelicans". Which is basically asking for others opinions for discussion.

Why wouldnt the Pistons take at least something in return for losing Monroe. Maybe they take Gordon who will be off the books after next season as well?
    I havent heard anything about them trying to make a play at a big free agent this offseason. I know its not likely but that doesnt mean its unrealistic.

I think he's both a poor fit and out of our price range. Monroe posted 478 times last season; 41.3% of his offense came from posting up. Compared to the Pelicans 464 (Warriors: 530) post up attempts as an entire team. The post up game just isn't what Gentry (and most of the NBA) is going to want to run, and for good reason. Even the best post up guys aren't getting over 1 point per play. Monroe converted for 0.87 points per play on post ups; which is effectively worse than the Sixers offense (.93 ppp). And he shot 37% on only 78 attempts from mid-range, so its not like he's great there.

I could see him working out for maybe Portland or Indiana or someone like that. But I don't see his value for the Pelicans.
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 06-29-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I think he's both a poor fit and out of our price range. Monroe posted 478 times last season; 41.3% of his offense came from posting up. Compared to the Pelicans 464 (Warriors: 530) post up attempts as an entire team. The post up game just isn't what Gentry (and most of the NBA) is going to want to run, and for good reason. Even the best post up guys aren't getting over 1 point per play. Monroe converted for 0.87 points per play on post ups; which is effectively worse than the Sixers offense (.93 ppp). And he shot 37% on only 78 attempts from mid-range, so its not like he's great there.

I could see him working out for maybe Portland or Indiana or someone like that. But I don't see his value for the Pelicans.
    Yea I can see why you mite not like him but to me playing with Davis instead of Drummond changes everything for him. He hasn't been great from mid range but he is atleast a threat that has to be accounted for. What Davis would help the most is Monroe working from the paint and making it near impossible to found him up especially with his passing ability. I think he is much better suited as a center offensively and defensivley. He has the ability to defend and Erman could maybe help him a lot considering what he did with the guys he had in Boston I would say Monroe is capable to be as good or better. Being able to guard the center position that is less talented and not as athletic being able to mostly guard in the paint suits him much better.

Quote Originally Posted by pmarpelicansfan View Post
    Says "And personal attacks on a basketball forum are pathetic man. Chill out."

Then proceeds to personally attack someone and not chill out himself.

Some people just like to speak their opinion. Some people dont have the time to play "at home GM" and do tons of research on salary cap figures.

Nothing GuardianAngel25 said was incorrect of extremely unrealistic.
    Just stated an opinion to contribute to a thread titled "Is Monroe a good fit for the Pelicans". Which is basically asking for others opinions for discussion.

Why wouldnt the Pistons take at least something in return for losing Monroe. Maybe they take Gordon who will be off the books after next season as well?
    I havent heard anything about them trying to make a play at a big free agent this offseason. I know its not likely but that doesnt mean its unrealistic.
    Too many party poopers around here with the same argument that we can't afford someone. Some players are unrealistic but Monroe is definitely not one of them and wouldn't take much wiggling to get him. This is a fan forum and if everything that was said had a response like not possible then this site wouldn't exist. Like I said some things are crazy and not really possible but this isn't one of them and the thread was a simple is Monroe a good fit.

Yea I can see why you mite not like him but to me playing with Davis instead of Drummond changes everything for him. He hasn't been great from mid range but he is atleast a threat that has to be accounted for. What Davis would help the most is Monroe working from the paint and making it near impossible to found him up especially with his passing ability. I think he is much better suited as a center offensively and defensivley. He has the ability to defend and Erman could maybe help him a lot considering what he did with the guys he had in Boston I would say Monroe is capable to be as good or better. Being able to guard the center position that is less talented and not as athletic being able to mostly guard in the paint suits him much better.
    Pels are a better team with Monroe instead of Asik. I think most people would agree there. And both Davis and Monroe would benefit from the pairing. But I think once you look at the reality of contracts and the cap situation; what the Pels would need to give up to get Monroe just wouldn't be worth it. He's supposedly going after max, which would be a major mistake for the Pelicans, in my opinion, just to have that on the books even if they had the cap space. But they don't so, you'd need to trade at least one of Holiday/Gordon/Evans/Anderson to make it work. If I were going to go through all that trouble to clear cap space, Monroe wouldn't be my target.

Monroe was 49.6% FGM and 75%FT
    15.9ppg and 10.2rpg. His size and athleticism probably would work just fine in the new system if he joined us. What are Yall even talking about???
    We could trade to get him. Gordon straight up. Could do a 3 team deal. Yall underestimate Gordon's value. His stock is rising fast.
    Also, we our perimeter defense is a bigger problem because our guards can't defend faster crafty guards which led to more points in the paint. Adding Erman will help our defense improve and adding a good perimeter defender would help. Monroe is not a liability. Compare his numbers to Asik.
    Come on!!!

Banned
    It has been reported that Monroe is going to the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    It has been reported that Monroe is going to the Knicks.
    He would be a good fit for the triangle offense they run. He can do a lot of the things Pau did in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Pels are a better team with Monroe instead of Asik. I think most people would agree there. And both Davis and Monroe would benefit from the pairing. But I think once you look at the reality of contracts and the cap situation; what the Pels would need to give up to get Monroe just wouldn't be worth it. He's supposedly going after max, which would be a major mistake for the Pelicans, in my opinion, just to have that on the books even if they had the cap space. But they don't so, you'd need to trade at least one of Holiday/Gordon/Evans/Anderson to make it work. If I were going to go through all that trouble to clear cap space, Monroe wouldn't be my target.
    Yea I sort of agree. If it cost a lot of assets then it wouldn't be worth it. I like the price if he is one of the better options we could get in the future but we just can't know that until the time comes. I don't know how 3 team deals work with sign and trades but moving Asik and maybe something else to make the #s match up would be ideal I just don't know how realistic that is. I think he's a very good fit but I don't think he is the best person we can get and that's why I probably would hold off on the deal.

Thread Information