Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 76ers to Pay Pelicans 3 million (Jrue Holiday Injury)

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Indictment? The draft is a damn crap shoot.
    GMs, scouts, coaches are paid millions to get it right. No one goes in with the #6th overall pick and says "Oh, gee, this is such a crapshoot well here we go! lol"... they get the guy who they really believe in and the fact they didn't believe in Noel is a bad thing. Sorry, not sorry.

And you wanna talk about injuries. Jrue, for all everyone knew, had a clean bill of health.
    which is whyyyyy you have a physicalllllllllllllllllll.

The fact no one saw this is a bad thing. Everything about that night reflects poorly on everyone involved. Sorry, not sorry.

Yeah, people gotta find blame because something bad happened so someone must've messed up and it's easier to find a person to blame than accept that sometime life goes in dry, so whatever.
    I'm assigning blame to the people that fricked up. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What if someone has colon cancer or some lower intestinal issue that hadn't manifested noticeable symptons, and we traded for him, do we blame our med staff for not doing a colonoscopyyyyyyyy just to make sureeeeeeee?

But away from an extreme hypothetical, are CAT scans and X-rays even routine in physicals for NBA players? That is actually a legit question. I'd imagine they aren't because the results aren't instantaneous from those.

When players get physicals they definitely get the leg X-rays. Stress fractures are not very hard to see especially if they were as bad as Jrues were suppose to be. I had ones that weren't even bad and my dr found them in 2 seconds. You don't need MRIs for this just a simple X-ray. If their was a problem that the Philly Drs were able to see then our Drs should have caught this also. I don't place full blame on them but to not put any of this on them is crazy when this is was they are paid to do. Is it that hard to look at X-rays of the feet, shinns, and knees?

MRIs. Man, CAT scans? Unless Jrue's knees are where his brain is, not sure why I said that.

So what's the difference between a stress reaction and a stress fracture again? Is that what Jrue had this season? Isn't a reaction not as severe as a fracture? So did the fracture we weren't told about heal, then get re-aggravated later and became a reaction?

Also, about your specific situation, was the doctor or technician specifically looking for issues with your knee when he found it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Which is a further indictment of whoever is involved in that process for thinking Burke or MCW would have been better than Noel who was projected to go #1 before the injury and just had one hell of a rookie season
    He was 53rd out of 73 centers in real plus minus and second worst in Offensive real plus minus. The only thing he was really good at was defense.

Middle of the pack in Wins above replacement(WAR)

Other stats don't look kindly at him either. Projected to go #1 in that awful draft is no compliment.

Honestly though. Has anybody here gone through a complete physical? If there is no reason to image a certain part of the body, they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    He was 53rd out of 73 centers in real plus minus and second worst in Offensive real plus minus. The only thing he was really good at was defense.

Middle of the pack in Wins above replacement(WAR)

Other stats don't look kindly at him either. Projected to go #1 in that awful draft is no compliment.
    His peak is probably Larry Sanders. No offense outside the paint but good, versatile defense with not quite enough strength to stop the big boys from backing him down or pushing him out of position.

If that year was a normal draft, #6 is right around where he should have gone. But that draft was so bad, he really should have gone higher.

They should give us back Noel

I am just happy that it is revealed that he has a stress fracture as my friend told me it was back in Feb. but I wasn't sure if I could say what the injury was (because I have no idea how this whole divulging the information from a source goes...especially when the source is a doctor on the team).

If the FO wants a player bad enough (Unger) they don't care what the Medical Staff says, they want that guy. Teams share medical info at the NBA/NFL combine, but after that, you can request info from another team, but they aren't obligated to give it to you if they don't want to. You have your own medical team, so it's as much on you to perform the due diligence as it is on them to tell you what's going on. If I am selling you a car I am not divulging all the dings and the broken ac. That's on you to find out.

Remember, this was a draft night trade. It's not like the medical staff had all day to get Jrue in here and run tests. He was relatively healthy his entire career.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Draft night trades still don't go through until the moratorium is lifted IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am just happy that it is revealed that he has a stress fracture as my friend told me it was back in Feb. but I wasn't sure if I could say what the injury was (because I have no idea how this whole divulging the information from a source goes...especially when the source is a doctor on the team).

If the FO wants a player bad enough (Unger) they don't care what the Medical Staff says, they want that guy. Teams share medical info at the NBA/NFL combine, but after that, you can request info from another team, but they aren't obligated to give it to you if they don't want to. You have your own medical team, so it's as much on you to perform the due diligence as it is on them to tell you what's going on. If I am selling you a car I am not divulging all the dings and the broken ac. That's on you to find out.

Remember, this was a draft night trade. It's not like the medical staff had all day to get Jrue in here and run tests. He was relatively healthy his entire career.
    Some ain't trying to hear that. Someone needs to be blamed because someone needs to be blamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Draft night trades still don't go through until the moratorium is lifted IIRC.
    Dawg, how many trades don't go through because of an injury? How many trades go through, and then a player gets injured after? It happens. The medical staff isn't the group that vetos trades, that's not their job, and if it was, they would be gone by now.

I think what's being lost in all of this is how culpable is Jrue in this? I'm dam sure he was asked about certain injuries and past ones. Did he lie as well to get the trade to go thru? I'm sorry but he had to of been asked about past injuries.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 06-28-2015 at 02:08 AM.

That's why I don't like draft day trades, unless there is a cooling off period?
    Last edited by Perth_Hornet; 06-28-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Of guys here is what you all need to know. A stress reaction is not a fracture. The bone has been stressed but not fractured. Kind of like a bone bruise. A stress reaction is picked up on an MRI. A stress fracture could be picked up on an X-ray, CT, or MRI but small ones usually are only seen on an MRI or CT.
    Now this is the important part. If Philly told us he had a stress fracture or stress reaction of the lower leg, then we should have done an MRI to determine the severity of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    in the medical world today, doubt thats possible, anything can heal.. just going to take extra time which is crucial
    Anything can heal (which doesn't mean players can go back to play after some injuries) but plenty of injuries can shorten careers by a ton. Which ultimately is what counts

I do hope the 76ers rot and tank for the rest of their existence honestly. Or at least until they'll have this appallingly disgusting FO

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    How did our doctors mess up?? U dont do a freaking xrat, mri, and cat scan for every player. Sometimes u guys make me wonder.
    Of course not unless you have reasonable suspicion to do one. Our team had no clue. Also have to wonder if Jrue disclosed the injury to the team during his physical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    When players get physicals they definitely get the leg X-rays. Stress fractures are not very hard to see especially if they were as bad as Jrues were suppose to be. I had ones that weren't even bad and my dr found them in 2 seconds. You don't need MRIs for this just a simple X-ray. If their was a problem that the Philly Drs were able to see then our Drs should have caught this also. I don't place full blame on them but to not put any of this on them is crazy when this is was they are paid to do. Is it that hard to look at X-rays of the feet, shinns, and knees?
    Leg x-rays are not routine during a physical. That's a bunch of crap. If Jrue was already healing and didn't report it during the physical, plus his physical exam was normal, then there is a legitimate reason not to do an x-ray. He played the preseason without any issues and starred the season as well so it's not like his injury was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I think what's being lost in all of this is how culpable is Jrue in this? I'm dam sure he was asked about certain injuries and past ones. Did he lie as well to get the trade to go thru? I'm sorry but he had to of been asked about past injuries.
    Strong possibility that he didn't say anything just to get out of Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Of guys here is what you all need to know. A stress reaction is not a fracture. The bone has been stressed but not fractured. Kind of like a bone bruise. A stress reaction is picked up on an MRI. A stress fracture could be picked up on an X-ray, CT, or MRI but small ones usually are only seen on an MRI or CT.
    Now this is the important part. If Philly told us he had a stress fracture or stress reaction of the lower leg, then we should have done an MRI to determine the severity of it.
    Apparently they didn't tell us anything. Pretty sure the team would have run some tests if they knew.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I never heard of this happening before. I hope he is fully healed.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    From what I heard everybody knew he was injured that's why Philly gave him up so easily as appose to him being untouchable for us
    stop. No you didn't.

From my friend on the Pels/Saints medical staff: "We didn't find out that the Saints had traded for Unger until our head doctor heard it from a colleague at work, who saw it on ESPN. We were told to go ahead and make sure he passed his physical.

Doctors get paid by the organization, but are hired by the FO. If the FO wants something done, they can argue all they want, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    If your friend is on the medical staff, I am sure he would know that the physicals normally occur after a trade has been agreed to and not before. As a matter of fact, the finalization of the trade was delayed a few days because Unger was in Hawaii and had to fly in to take the physical.

Yes, the physical is done after (never mentioned that it was done before). But the physical is more a formality if the team wants a player bad enough. Remember, Graham was injured as well, and on a more expensive contract, while Unger is cheaper, and will be one of the leagues best for a longer period of time than Graham will.

All I know about the Jrue situation is what you guys know + it was the medical staffs fighting which kept Jrue on a minuets count, because the FO wanted him to play so bad.

All I know about Unger is that the medical staff didn't hear about us trading for an injured guy until after the news broke, and even then the medical staff was told to pass him.

If you guys want me to ask my friend anymore questions let me know. I will see him later on today.

I mean yeah dude, if he knows any more about this Jrue situation that would be awesome. I'm sure he'd have to be careful of what he said but since this news just broke last night he might have a far more insightful take than any of us.

Thread Information