Pelicans Report

Thread: Finding a Sleeper with the 56th Pick

Finding a Sleeper with the 56th Pick

I know it has been heavy coaching lately, but the draft is later this month, and while we only have the 56th pick, we still have a chance to find a rotation player. I looked at the picks 50 or later the last 9 years and tried to find some common denominators. Then, I took that and tried to find similar prospects in this years draft that are projected to go late 2nd round or undrafted.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/blog/f...the-56th-pick/

Who do you like?
    @mcnamara247

I won't be suprised if Nedim Buza was our rookie next year. Play a position of need , good size, can shoot and his agent is Arn Tellem.

i've seen him rising on most boards but i have my fingers crossed that Joseph Young will be available there, or maybe throw some cash at someone to move up 10 picks to get him

Just going off of the 56th pick give me Dawson. Those Michigan St kids that hit usually can stick around in the NBA past their first contract. I like what you said about him being a Green clone because that's what he is, and Gentry can use Swiss Army knife type guys here.

I would ultimately like to see us by a first round pick. This draft is deeper than recent drafts, and I think some quality players can be had for the price of a late teen early 20 pick. I think the staff we gather will ultimately prove if that's a good idea or not (wether they bring in a guy to develop a big man could determine if we draft a big man), but I would like to see us go up and grab a pick higher than our own.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I won't be suprised if Nedim Buza was our rookie next year. Play a position of need , good size, can shoot and his agent is Arn Tellem.
    Wouldn't be a shock. But he doesn't fit the profile of what has succeeded this late in the draft. It's why he isn't in this piece, but yes, he is an interesting prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    i've seen him rising on most boards but i have my fingers crossed that Joseph Young will be available there, or maybe throw some cash at someone to move up 10 picks to get him
    That's the guy I have had my eye on for a while as well.

This article feels short by MM's standards. Personally I haven't spent time looking this year like I did last, yet.

If I had to guess I'd say we spend some cash plus the 56 pick to move up in the draft. Young sounds interesting until I do more research and see who is out there.

Rakeem Christmas could be interesting too

I like pretty much everyone and just commented on there. Norman Powell is another guy to watch who fits the bill of a 4-year player with athleticism.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Rakeem Christmas will be a great second round pick, if we can get him. I'm a Cuse fan, and I have been blown away with his progress over the past 4 years. The dude is very coachable and he seems to understand the game well. He is proof that some guys need 4 years in college.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What's the story with JP Tokoto? Could his best basketball be ahead of him?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know it has been heavy coaching lately, but the draft is later this month, and while we only have the 56th pick, we still have a chance to find a rotation player. I looked at the picks 50 or later the last 9 years and tried to find some common denominators. Then, I took that and tried to find similar prospects in this years draft that are projected to go late 2nd round or undrafted.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/blog/f...the-56th-pick/

Who do you like?
    White from IOWA would be awesome! Stretch 4 great range, can take a 4 off the dribble, really thin, hope he gains some wait! Young from Oregon is AWESOME! He is a combo guard as needed! 40% career from 3,GREAT FT shooter. HE beat Colorado & Utah in conference tourney. ONE CAN ONLY HOPE HE IS STILL THERE! Big 10 & PAC 12 networks are great!!

& as MM said,--Young is a volume shooter! Well, guess what ? He will have all the volume he wants w/ Pels! But did avg 40% 3pt shooting in 4yr career !
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-02-2015 at 04:52 PM.

It'll be some overseas guy none of us have heard of. Likely will never play a minute for the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Really Danny Green-ish

Does anyone else see Jonathan Holmes as a Draymond Green/Tobias Harris type?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm a big Carolina fan, he can play, but he is wildly frustrating and struggles even though he is very, very talented (and pretty big). I think he will creep up much higher than our pick once teams see how talented he is. I'd love him at 56 because if he can put it all together I truly believe he is a first round talent. Very concerning when guys can't put it together after multiple years in college though.

From that list I'll go with A A Ron. Your description makes him sound like be ideal in Gentry's system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This article feels short by MM's standards. Personally I haven't spent time looking this year like I did last, yet.

If I had to guess I'd say we spend some cash plus the 56 pick to move up in the draft. Young sounds interesting until I do more research and see who is out there.
    I agree. If there is someone that Dell and co really want, I don't see them waiting for the 56th pick to get him when they can throw a bit of cash to move up. I know fullcourtpress will have some good answers for this, he has been looking hard for a while now while everyone else was busy with coaching candidates.

Alan Williams sounds like another Patric Young on paper. Michael Qualls could be ok - looks to have worked hard on his shooting to improve it (though it sounds like definitely more work needed). Brings a good level of intensity. Negatives around shooting off the dribble, and even handles. I really like the growth signs every year, clearly knows work needs to be done.

Thread Information