Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MM, In light of the Staff coming to gether

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe you are right. I disagree, but maybe. My question would be: Why was he so much better offensively with the Rockets then? Guy shot about 15% better from 0-3 feet that year. Higher FG%. 50% (!!!) increase in dunks.

Was that just coincidence, or with the spread floor and more ball movement, was it easier for him to catch where there was little to no traffic and finish when he had fewer bodies around him?
    Bad hands are bad hands. No matter what offense a player is in, there's going to be times where he needs to catch the ball in traffic. He did shoot 15% better from 0-3 feet that year (actually, I don't know this, which site are you using?) -- but we'd have to literally go back and see what those attempts looked like. It could also be that he was younger and more healthy. My point is this: the extra spacing will help all bigs, not just Asik. So just go get another big who may benefit from the spacing point of view too and save some $$$. Asik had stretches of play that last year were bad, and in a contract year no less, which really, really worries me. I'll never expect someone to get better after a contract year. Plus, and this is huge for me, I want AD paired with someone who can create space for him down low and if need be, catch the ball in traffic once his man goes over to help.

I just want a well-rounded center.

53 percent to 61 percent is a 15% jump. You did 15% better
    @mcnamara247

His role in the offense will not be scoring at all, actually.
    Right. Asik was often the #3 option/safety valve on plays under Monty. Hopefully Gentry can reduce his role to screens, put backs and passing.

I am not saying Asik will be great. Or better than DeAndre, Gasol, etc, but if he produces like he did in 12-13, how are you not excited when you look at everything else we have?

I'm not the biggest Asik fan on earth, but he is a good rebounder, is excellent at setting screens, and is a very good outlet passer, believe it or not. Gentry needs to accent his best features, something Monty couldn't figure out how to do with his players.

Besides, we really don't have a choice. Not re-signing Asik doesn't create enough cap space to go after anyone signficant, and we would lose our exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I don't want him back because I don't think that's a real reason for wanting him back. Asik will be the same Asik he was this past year and a change in offense won't change that; he has trouble catching the ball, and his athleticism is poor. If he wants to sign a 7.5mil/year deal, sure, I'll take that, but sacrificing future flexibility with a massive FA year next year I don't think would be wise.

As for DC, wouldn't he be a necessary re-sign for us? IMO, he brings a massive amount of athleticism from a wing position + he plays unselfish. That's not easy to find. Between Pondexter and DC, I personally think we're fine at SF (I'd love an upgrade, but I don't think one for the right price is out there in FA). Looking down the line, the position that needs a massive upgrade is SG. Evans should be our 6th man, and Gordon should be gone next season leaving us with a hole at SG; I don't want Evans + Holiday on the court together much since I think they both need the ball to as effective as possible. I feel more confident with the ball in Holiday's hands, but at the same time, recognize that this team took off with Tyreke at the point.
    If we want to be a serious contender we need a starting caliber sf. We don't have it. Qpon is 2nd unit material.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I am not saying Asik will be great. Or better than DeAndre, Gasol, etc, but if he produces like he did in 12-13, how are you not excited when you look at everything else we have?
    DO you not find it a bit oxymoronic for Monty to be considered a defensive mind & have no clue about defensive stats/probs/analytics. Amins reaction to that quote was "PRICELESS"

Idk about Asik. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at 9/10m per, but what about going the route of signing someone like Koufos for half that? I honestly don't see the major upgrade in Asik. Koufos is just better on O.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Idk about Asik. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at 9/10m per, but what about going the route of signing someone like Koufos for half that? I honestly don't see the major upgrade in Asik. Koufos is just better on O.
    If you don't mind losing the MLE.

We pretty much have to sign Asik.

Koufos intrigues me but I haven't seen enough of him.

That is an 8% jump. Your units are already percents.

I agree, a faster pace won't hurt Asik production. It would help it if pace is increased from the defensive end which is where it needs to improve the most for this team. That and Jrue being the main ball handler.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.

If I make 53 out of 100 shots on day 1 and then make 61 out of 100 on Day 2, what is my percentage increase?

Change (8) over original (53)

Technically, I should have said a 15% improvement. But the point remains - he was much better. I don't think that was a coincidence

Asik upping his efficiency to Houston levels combined with a better defensive system I think wil give him a new lease on life with fans.

Frankly I liked end of the year Asik. He played really good after the allstar break. The only knock was the offensive stuff but I always chalked a lot of that up to Monty not maximizing the roster and system.

Amin told us Koufos will get more than Asik on the open market. Let that sink in

What is people's attraction to Koufas other than he isn't Asik. I don't have any major beef with Asik, and I wouldn't be happy/sad if we moved on from him, but why do people want Koufas over Asik?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He will get the same or more.

You guys do realize that we will likely lose our exceptions by letting asik go right?

It is not as simple as letting asik go and signing someone else for cheaper(the market is thin for that,like steimsma tier players)
    Last edited by The Emperor; 06-02-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What is people's attraction to Koufas other than he isn't Asik. I don't have any major beef with Asik, and I wouldn't be happy/sad if we moved on from him, but why do people want Koufas over Asik?
    Probably because many believe that his value will be similar, but he will be much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think they always assumed he would be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    He will get the same or more.

You guys do realize that we will likely lose our exceptions by letting asik go right?

It is not as simple as letting asik go and signing someone else for cheaper(the market is thin for that,like steimsma tier players)
    Exactly. Asik is the only one we have Bird Rights on. So even if he, Looez, and Koufos all cost the exact same, Asik is the only one we can sign

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Technically, I should have said a 15% improvement. But the point remains - he was much better. I don't think that was a coincidence
    MM, Your calculation method only works if you CHANGE the bottom number, not the amount of shots made! If the shot total stays at 100 shots--53 day 1 & 61 day 2, it's axiomatically an 8% improvement! For it to be a 15% improvement on 53 makes, you would have to adjust the bottom number (100),which comes out to be apprx 53 shots made out of 77 (not 100),which is 68.8%. 15.8% improvement.

MM's right. People are struggling with the meta nature of doing percentages on percentages.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Not sure if this was directed me, but I wasn't referencing the actual math, just which site you used to get the info. Basketball reference?

If we want to be a serious contender we need a starting caliber sf. We don't have it. Qpon is 2nd unit material.
    Agreed, but we don't have the money to get a legitimate upgrade there, so I'm more of the thought process to let Q-Pon get those minutes. Especially since we know he can defend multiple positions.

Exactly. Asik is the only one we have Bird Rights on. So even if he, Looez, and Koufos all cost the exact same, Asik is the only one we can sign
    But that comes at a cost of future season's dollars as well. If Asik wants to sign a one year deal, he can sign for practically whatever he wants since it ain't my money and it frees $ for next off-season. But the idea that he will suddenly turn into Asik from 2-3 seasons ago isn't one to base a contract nor is it a legitimate argument for what he will be in the future (relative to this past season). What I'm scared of is that Dell won't see the 1st rounder as a sunk cost. If he feels he's worth re-signing at a market price, I'll support it, but I haven't been a fan of a lot of his moves.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Ideal scenario IMO is that someone wants Asik and Asik wants them, but they can't afford him, putting us in the position of being able to engage in a S/T.

Either that, or the coaching staff believes he will not hinder the offense and he's comfortable being paid to play 20 minutes a game.

I think Tyreke has to go. I see monster offensive years from AD, Ryno, Jrue and Gordon next season. Tyreke is too much of a ball stopper and floor shrinker, I don't see how he can positively contribute to this team. I feel like ATL should do a Tyreke for Carroll trade. He could shine there, they could use his iso skills. We have enough scorers, we need great role players now. Cole, Qpon and Asik stays imo, along with the top 4 and everyone else is gone. Maybe Withey stays I would like to see if he could be a backup C.

Thread Information