Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MM, In light of the Staff coming to gether

MM, In light of the Staff coming to gether

How bout some quick ideas about how the roster might be impacted by a Gentry, Erman, Pack staff?

We're still limited in what we can do this season due to EG picking up his option right?

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    How bout some quick ideas about how the roster might be impacted by a Gentry, Erman, Pack staff?

We're still limited in what we can do this season due to EG picking up his option right?
    very limited, but no quite as limited if we don't resign asik, but anything can happen, we can make a surprise trade of ryno or tyreke..
    (please trade tyreke) i hope we sign E.G to a 7mil a year contract, cos as M.M agreed, i think EG is going to surprise people this upcoming season, with a full, healthy offseason under his legs, his going to be explosive and confident once again.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Gentry doesn't like players who can't actually play basketball. So Asik is out (cause if you can't catch, then I'm not sure what you're doing in the NBA). This is my hope anyway.

BTW, silly stat, but I'll put this here: 17% of America's 7 footers are in the NBA. That's crazy.

I think Pack strictly works with guards and as Amin said on the podcast, Gentry will start off with a clean slate. I got no worries about Jrue or Gordon. Tyreke must come into camp in the best shape of his life.

I think Asik stays. I think almost everyone does, at least heading into November. Maybe changes are made by February but I think the idea is to see why better coaches can do with the guys already in place and strike when a great opportunity presents itself roster wise. And you can get better deals during the season than in the summer
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    i hope we sign E.G to a 7mil a year contract, cos as M.M agreed, i think EG is going to surprise people this upcoming season, with a full, healthy offseason under his legs, his going to be explosive and confident once again.
    I've been cautiously hoping that a long term (reasonable deal) could be worked out with him. Any chance that could happen this offseason and save the Pels some $$ on his $15 million dollar option? If Gentry is planning to push the pace Asik is probably for sure gone.. Right? What do you turn Anderson or Reke into?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think Pack strictly works with guards and as Amin said on the podcast, Gentry will start off with a clean slate. I got no worries about Jrue or Gordon. Tyreke must come into camp in the best shape of his life.

I think Asik stays. I think almost everyone does, at least heading into November. Maybe changes are made by February but I think the idea is to see why better coaches can do with the guys already in place and strike when a great opportunity presents itself roster wise. And you can get better deals during the season than in the summer
    Please tell me Cole is a priority to keep.. Asik stays? Really?, He doesn't strike me as a fast pace center, Neither does Ajinca for that matter.

Please tell me Cole is a priority to keep.. Asik stays? Really?, He doesn't strike me as a fast pace center, Neither does Ajinca for that matter.
    Look at Asiks years in Houston. Pace was not an issue for him. The spacing actually really helped his game. The year Asik started they had the #1 Pace in the league.

Gentry is more about motion in sets than fast pace. Yes, the pace will be much faster, but it won't be breakneck. It will be about what Houston was in Asik's best year. You telling me you wouldn't want THAT Asik? The one who was way better when the offense had space and motion.

I think Cole comes back. I think the top 8 all come back. Maybe DC and/or Ajinca leaves and you got the MLE to replace one. Can replace the other cheap and/or with Babbitt, Withey, etc

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If we're running a motion offense, someone has to set screens and rub people off trailing defenders.

Asik is a big body. Don't need to be athletic to get in the way. Rather helps if you aren't, really.

MM, is the Erman hire a homerun in your opinion?

Yea, we really need to keep Cole for sure. Love his game off the bench.

Babbitt would fit well in this system if given some pt.

Gentry is more about motion in sets than fast pace. Yes, the pace will be much faster, but it won't be breakneck. It will be about what Houston was in Asik's best year. You telling me you wouldn't want THAT Asik? The one who was way better when the offense had space and motion.

I think Cole comes back. I think the top 8 all come back. Maybe DC and/or Ajinca leaves and you got the MLE to replace one. Can replace the other cheap and/or with Babbitt, Withey, etc
    Yea I guess I was blinded after watching Asik in Monty's turtle pace for a year. What do you think it cost to keep him, and do you do a multi year of just 1-2 years?

This, just look at the deals the Cavs got during the season.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Asik is a starting center caliber in this league, hard to get one of those in today's NBA for less than 10 a year.

In my opinion I think the bulk of the off season FA market was hiring the right staff to run the team. I'm going into July 1st with the idea that we already have our team. I'm excited that our staff is taking shape and hope that we can stay healthy enough to compete. I like the top we have and if we can land someone that upgrades us than boom I'm their biggest fan. Can't wait till October. Miss pels basketball already.

...we get to go McDonalds

I don't want him back because I don't think that's a real reason for wanting him back. Asik will be the same Asik he was this past year and a change in offense won't change that; he has trouble catching the ball, and his athleticism is poor. If he wants to sign a 7.5mil/year deal, sure, I'll take that, but sacrificing future flexibility with a massive FA year next year I don't think would be wise.

As for DC, wouldn't he be a necessary re-sign for us? IMO, he brings a massive amount of athleticism from a wing position + he plays unselfish. That's not easy to find. Between Pondexter and DC, I personally think we're fine at SF (I'd love an upgrade, but I don't think one for the right price is out there in FA). Looking down the line, the position that needs a massive upgrade is SG. Evans should be our 6th man, and Gordon should be gone next season leaving us with a hole at SG; I don't want Evans + Holiday on the court together much since I think they both need the ball to as effective as possible. I feel more confident with the ball in Holiday's hands, but at the same time, recognize that this team took off with Tyreke at the point.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    MM, is the Erman hire a homerun in your opinion?
    I can't imagine how it isn't.

This is like when we were talking about what point guard we wanted in the draft or free agency in 2013, then the draft comes and we get Jrue Holiday. A guy I thought was amazing, but didn't think would ever be on the table to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I don't want him back because I don't think that's a real reason for wanting him back. Asik will be the same Asik he was this past year and a change in offense won't change that; he has trouble catching the ball, and his athleticism is poor. If he wants to sign a 7.5mil/year deal, sure, I'll take that, but sacrificing future flexibility with a massive FA year next year I don't think would be wise.

As for DC, wouldn't he be a necessary re-sign for us? IMO, he brings a massive amount of athleticism from a wing position + he plays unselfish. That's not easy to find. Between Pondexter and DC, I personally think we're fine at SF (I'd love an upgrade, but I don't think one for the right price is out there in FA). Looking down the line, the position that needs a massive upgrade is SG. Evans should be our 6th man, and Gordon should be gone next season leaving us with a hole at SG; I don't want Evans + Holiday on the court together much since I think they both need the ball to as effective as possible. I feel more confident with the ball in Holiday's hands, but at the same time, recognize that this team took off with Tyreke at the point.
    Maybe you are right. I disagree, but maybe. My question would be: Why was he so much better offensively with the Rockets then? Guy shot about 15% better from 0-3 feet that year. Higher FG%. 50% (!!!) increase in dunks.

Was that just coincidence, or with the spread floor and more ball movement, was it easier for him to catch where there was little to no traffic and finish when he had fewer bodies around him?

I think the biggest thing that people forget is that both Asik and Reke were hindered playing so many minutes together. In an ideal world where Jrue starts with a shooter at SF (Pondexter or someone else), Tyreke comes off the bench with Anderson. Sure Asik and Reke will have overlap in minutes, but they would effectively be minimized.

A small bit to think about when it comes to Asik:

His role in the offense will not be scoring at all, actually. It will be his defense. He gets the stop on the defensive end and secures the rebound. The turns and outlets the ball to our running guards who hit AD for a dunk/layup/whatever. Asik doesn't even need to be on the offensive side of the court to help us pick up the pace. He is a great outlet passer and can get those stops by himself that are necessary to star the running system. In a more open system like Houston ran, Asik is actually a better passer than he has received credit for.

Maybe you are right. I disagree, but maybe. My question would be: Why was he so much better offensively with the Rockets then? Guy shot about 15% better from 0-3 feet that year. Higher FG%. 50% (!!!) increase in dunks.

Was that just coincidence, or with the spread floor and more ball movement, was it easier for him to catch where there was little to no traffic and finish when he had fewer bodies around him?
    I don't think Asik was fully healthy this year which could have played into it. Back issues can really hinder your lift.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    I don't think Asik was fully healthy this year which could have played into it. Back issues can really hinder your lift.
    IMO it has more to do with the fact that every time he caught the ball there was a min of 2 guys within 3 feet going for the ball than his back. He played in 76 games, missed some from his back but he was never a vertical monster in Houston to begin with.

Maybe a different offensive would benefit Asik. One thing is for sure can't question his defense or rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    I think the biggest thing that people forget is that both Asik and Reke were hindered playing so many minutes together. In an ideal world where Jrue starts with a shooter at SF (Pondexter or someone else), Tyreke comes off the bench with Anderson. Sure Asik and Reke will have overlap in minutes, but they would effectively be minimized.
    True. Jrue returning full time (and playing in this offense) will change so many dynamics of this roster by himself.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The great thing about this staff, is I 100% trust them to make the right call on whether Asik stays or goes. It's then up to Dell to try and get him for the best deal possible, or build a roster without him that executes the offense/defense the way these coaches want it executed.

This staff is great.

Thread Information