Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MM, In light of the Staff coming to gether

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    MM's right. People are struggling with the meta nature of doing percentages on percentages.
    I get the calculation, but to calculate the amount of shots you made above 53 (8) i.e. 800 divided by 53 doesn't compute based on a fix of 100 shots! By this method it would 106 shots to be perfect. It's not how many shots made more than 53,it's how many shots it took you to make 53!

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I get the calculation, but to calculate the amount of shots you made above 53 (8) i.e. 800 divided by 53 doesn't compute based on a fix of 100 shots! By this method it would 106 shots to be perfect. It's not how many shots made more than 53,it's how many shots it took you to make 53!
    I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying, but what MM is saying is that in season 1:

53 made shots
    100 shots taken

And then in season 2:

61 made shots
    100 shots taken

That would be a roughly 15% year over year improvement.

Okay. We are wasting time on the math. Point is, there is a pretty significant difference. Isn't it possible it was the offensive scheme?
    @mcnamara247

OK,I see. His base is the players actual % improvement based on his % the year before & not his actual improvement per 100 shots.. I got it !

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Okay. We are wasting time on the math. Point is, there is a pretty significant difference. Isn't it possible it was the offensive scheme?
    Not wasting time, just a semantic issue. I Like Numbers. & I'm a bjg Asik guy. I hope he re-signs. No need for steam.

For reference... Asik in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

WHO IN THE HELL IS THAT ????? Good Gravy. Spin Move,half Hook, 10 ft.jumpers.

Heck, I wanted him back before the video. Geesh!
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-02-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Highlight reels are often misleading given they are highlights and don't include the lowlights.

With that said I still contends Asik will look better, a lot better, if he is retained.

You don't even have to look at houston but also the Olympics or world fiba games. Asik clearly has more then he showed last season but j think it really was a case study of why Monty is gone. Even with the piece he so wanted he couldn't get it to all work.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    If we want to be a serious contender we need a starting caliber sf. We don't have it. Qpon is 2nd unit material.
    DeMarre Carroll ? ? What's the chances of getting him with the limited room we have to maneuver?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Highlight reels are often misleading given they are highlights and don't include the lowlights.

With that said I still contends Asik will look better, a lot better, if he is retained.

You don't even have to look at houston but also the Olympics or world fiba games. Asik clearly has more then he showed last season but j think it really was a case study of why Monty is gone. Even with the piece he so wanted he couldn't get it to all work.
    WE saw the lowlights,so a highlight reel was AWESOME!

I still like Asik and think we will definitely keep him.

In that video, I count 2 or more guys within 3 feet of him just twice.

That is my point. I don't think he can go up strong if he has bodies around him, but in space he is fine

Maybe you are right. I disagree, but maybe. My question would be: Why was he so much better offensively with the Rockets then? Guy shot about 15% better from 0-3 feet that year. Higher FG%. 50% (!!!) increase in dunks.

Was that just coincidence, or with the spread floor and more ball movement, was it easier for him to catch where there was little to no traffic and finish when he had fewer bodies around him?
    Didn't Asik deal with back issues for part of the year, as well? That would portend to why he struggled with mobility, at times.

During the regular season Asik was still a very valuable player for us. Postseason, not so much; he's also been better in both Houston and Chicago than he was this reg. season, as you alluded to. My biggest concern would be the way teams defended not only him at times, but other bigs in the postseason who had little offensive game. They get ignored and when that happens it clogs up everything.

He is flawed. I still say the same thing thought - Give me a realistic way we do better this summer given our cap.

Now, I concede the argument of just going cheap and then getting someone next year instead of having him on the books, but taking a step backwards this year is a non option IMO. Would have major consequences. You gotta go into next year with a solid center, and I don't see the alternative given our cap situation

In that video, I count 2 or more guys within 3 feet of him just twice.

That is my point. I don't think he can go up strong if he has bodies around him, but in space he is fine
    In conjunction to this, Tyreke Evans and Omer Asik were the Pels 2nd most used two-man combo logging 1665 minutes. Reke was no.1 in getting blocked, Omer was no. 6. Mutually poor pairing due to injuries. If Jrue starts & Reke comes off the bench with Ryan, things are more spaced for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    In conjunction to this, Tyreke Evans and Omer Asik were the Pels 2nd most used two-man combo logging 1665 minutes. Reke was no.1 in getting blocked, Omer was no. 6. Mutually poor pairing due to injuries. If Jrue starts & Reke comes off the bench with Ryan, things are more spaced for everyone.
    That has been Dell's plan for 2 years. Injuries have not allowed it sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    2nd most used two man combo? Geez, my pet peeve with them is how tight ball games slip away when they're fouledand can only be counted on to make one free throw out of two. Hell, I can stand that from Asik.
    But from Tyreke.... who is handling the ball until he drives to the goal and draws foul after foul..... it's just not tolerable to me.

Tyreke= 58% FT in the post-season!!!
    Asik= 57%

Sorry to derail thread. I'm sure other PG's do the same right??

Just for information, in a recent interview in France, Ajinca said he will chose a team that will offer him 20min per game on a consistent basis, so I don't see him sign back with us unless Ryno or Asik are gone.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Just for information, in a recent interview in France, Ajinca said he will chose a team that will offer him 20min per game on a consistent basis, so I don't see him sign back with us unless Ryno or Asik are gone.
    Wow that's unfortunate. I would like to resign him.

I do not want Asik, but I don't see anyone better with our cap situation. I just hope we can sign him cheap 7-9 mil range and use him during the season in a trade to help our C and SF situation. I don't want him on the books when the cap spikes in 2016. I think their will be a lot of better options in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...we get to go McDonalds
    Would it even be that hard to convince him to take a one year deal? Hey Omer, the cap spikes next year and you'll want to be a free agent then.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Did you see the play where he stole the ball at the top and ran the fast break?! That's got to be a unicorn type scenario...

I actually like him on the roll and with slips and back door cuts, he's more mobile than I remember. He's no worse than Big Cat was that's for sure, and Big Cat was an allstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

There is one important thing IMO.
    Asik playin' not his best basketball might not cost us as much as Asik playin' good season.

Hopefully this will happen in this case.
    With faster pace and space he has also nice mid range...

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying, but what MM is saying is that in season 1:

53 made shots
    100 shots taken

And then in season 2:

61 made shots
    100 shots taken

That would be a roughly 15% year over year improvement.
    OK, just to clear all this up for those interested (and be thorny ) , that is an 8% improvement in the overall metric as I stated before.

All you need to do to see the point is compare someone who made 53/100 shots one year to 61/105 shots the next. That is a 5% improvement in overall percentage but 15% in shots made (numerator).

Ok? Other than that I agree that Asik will be fine no matter the pace.

Thread Information