Pelicans Report

Thread: Darren Erman being sought as defensive guru?

Darren Erman being sought as defensive guru?

I don't know much about the guy, what ya'll got?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Fired from Jackson's staff in GS for taping conversations/meetings with other members of the Warriors' coaching staff. Apparently regarded as a defensive ace largely responsible for the Celtics defense in their 2008 championship year and laying the foundation for the Warriors defense last year.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Fired from Jackson's staff in GS for taping conversations/meetings with other members of the Warriors' coaching staff. Apparently regarded as a defensive ace largely responsible for the Celtics defense in their 2008 championship year and laying the foundation for the Warriors defense last year.
    The "largely responsible for the Celtics defense" seems a bit overblown since Thibodeau was the guy responsible for the Celtics defense at the time.

"What happened out there was, in my opinion, a total hatchet job for Darren Erman," said Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated. "Darren has been one of the most respected assistants in the NBA for a long time. Did he tape a conversation when he thought some of the coaches were bad mouthing him to other players? Sure. Was he a shill for management? Absolutely not.

"Mark Jackson... was threatened by the work Darren Erman was putting in, the type of hours he put in as assistant coach. You have to have a certain level of understanding if you are a head coach of your own limitations. Doc Rivers had that with (Tom) Thibodeau in Boston. (Larry) Bird had that with (Rick) Carlisle and (Dick) Harter). Mark Jackson never had that with Darren Erman.

"What happened to (Erman) subsequently, the fact that Doc Rivers immediately tried to hire him as an assistant coach, the fact that the Celtics immediately scooped him up as a Director of Scouting speaks to the level of respect around the league have for Darren and how they don't believe any of the stuff coming out about him from Golden State.

Erman would be a coup. Honestly didn't think he was a possibility
    @mcnamara247

Pack might come too. Igor deal is falling apart however. Told recently that there are teams offering Lead Assistant/Associate HC positions. Something we can't match. I would say Igor is likely a no-go.

But Erman would be a home run hire IMO

I know little of these Assistant coach hires, but the potential of these guys (never knew that people were so knowledgeable of their work) is very exciting, outside of a really big free agent pickup/trade the coaching staff will be the biggest thing for this team's offseason/championship aspirations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I know little of these Assistant coach hires, but the potential of these guys (never knew that people were so knowledgeable of their work) is very exciting, outside of a really big free agent pickup/trade the coaching staff will be the biggest thing for this team's offseason/championship aspirations.
    Remain became really well known because he was universally praised as the guy who turned that Warriors defense around in a span of 3 years. From people in the know in GS, he gets the credit. Heck, Brian Scalabrine has said as much on multiple occasions!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Pack might come too. Igor deal is falling apart however. Told recently that there are teams offering Lead Assistant/Associate HC positions. Something we can't match. I would say Igor is likely a no-go.

But Erman would be a home run hire IMO
    Pack as in Robert Pack? I mentioned him the other day as being one of my favorites to bring back. I always liked him and thought he was a great intense coach and should be able to elevate our guards play defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post
    "What happened out there was, in my opinion, a total hatchet job for Darren Erman," said Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated. "Darren has been one of the most respected assistants in the NBA for a long time. Did he tape a conversation when he thought some of the coaches were bad mouthing him to other players? Sure. Was he a shill for management? Absolutely not.

"Mark Jackson... was threatened by the work Darren Erman was putting in, the type of hours he put in as assistant coach. You have to have a certain level of understanding if you are a head coach of your own limitations. Doc Rivers had that with (Tom) Thibodeau in Boston. (Larry) Bird had that with (Rick) Carlisle and (Dick) Harter). Mark Jackson never had that with Darren Erman.

"What happened to (Erman) subsequently, the fact that Doc Rivers immediately tried to hire him as an assistant coach, the fact that the Celtics immediately scooped him up as a Director of Scouting speaks to the level of respect around the league have for Darren and how they don't believe any of the stuff coming out about him from Golden State.
    This sounds very promising thanks for the post. From what I have seen and read he looks like maybe the best guy for the job.

http://abc7news.com/sports/sources-p...-staff/761936/

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-...142310703.html

Guy seems like he is a tireless worker studying the game with attention to detail from all parts of the game. I really don't think it can get much better than this guy. If anyone was worried about defense with Gentry then this guy should ease that very quickly.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-02-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Alright. This would blow me away. Spent an hour researching this guy and I am absolutely sold. Got done dirty by Jackson and is the sort of genius hire that could be looked back on in years as an absolute coup.

I will happily be eating a lot of crow if this is the start of what we will see with Gentry.

Opinion might change tomorrow when I am not tired and have some more time but right now I am excited.

Man if gentry can get us all these people i understand why demps hired him. Head coach is very important all right, but the right assistants can change hugely a team. I'm getting freaking excited

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Man if gentry can get us all these people i understand why demps hired him. Head coach is very important all right, but the right assistants can change hugely a team. I'm getting freaking excited
    Definitely agree. While some people may not be sold on gentry, you cannot complain about the quality of assistants being linked to him as a hire. Still have to wait and see who does come, but what an exciting time to be a Pelicans fan.

Just hear Amin from the podcast.
    I am so excited...

Banned
    Sooo... Two names not mentioned out of the 15 thrown out are most likely at this point and all of a sudden Igor (the only one you stood behind) 'fell through' right after this news came out? Can't say I didn't call this yesterday.

As for the potential hires, I like them both. From everything I've read, one of Gentry's best traits is his personality and being well liked around the league. I think that helps a lot during this process. Erman sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Pack as in Robert Pack? I mentioned him the other day as being one of my favorites to bring back. I always liked him and thought he was a great intense coach and should be able to elevate our guards play defensively.
    I remember when Pack wasn't brought back after his first tenure and that was the guy the players were the most upset to see leave. They loved him. He was huge with the development of Bledsoe in LA; Him and Billups.

Haven't kept up with him in OKC, but I'm glad to have him back.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Alright. This would blow me away. Spent an hour researching this guy and I am absolutely sold. Got done dirty by Jackson and is the sort of genius hire that could be looked back on in years as an absolute coup.

I will happily be eating a lot of crow if this is the start of what we will see with Gentry.

Opinion might change tomorrow when I am not tired and have some more time but right now I am excited.
    I agree. People should be excited if this hire happens. A Gentry/Erman duo is such a massive upgrade over Monty/Ayers and better than JVG or Thibs and whoever their lead assistant might have been IMO. I mean, I will put Erman right there with JVG as a defensive mind, and Gentry is a better offensive mind that they would have got on their staffs.

Pack will be a player development guy. Most likely takes Vinson's job, leaving the possibility Hanson could still keep his - with Hanson working with bigs. But assuming all the old staff will be gone, you will still need an offensive assistant and at least one more player development guy, maybe two. Igor was supposed to be the former, but if we can't get him, it's wide open. I would love Iavaroni, but I talked to someone the other night who said he is off the radar. Like no phone number, not answering email. Just gone.

So, um, that might be a long shot

Well we got Pack locked up. hoping we can get Erman too that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Well we got Pack locked up. hoping we can get Erman too that would be cool.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...164205332.html

looks like we have

Awesome hire!

Thread Information