Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Do me One Favor. Just one

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Good luck? Was he being sarcastic or something?

Did anyone else who followed through on the favor get the MM:BSS t-shirt, or just the angry email from Carmungle?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Let's take a look at some of the figures in this tragic comedy:

Jimmy Smith might just be Nicklebacking his way through sports journalism, but let's not forget that newspaper men are the fast food managers of media (high turnover, low wages, and even though they wear ties, nobody takes them seriously). Jimmy probably parks his 2004 Camry outside an apartment complex that looks like a condemned middle school, steps on a dirty diaper on the way to his unit, and right before he unlocks the door to that lair of musty mediocrity, he dreams of getting enough views to one day escape... so he writes, he writes like a furiously uninformed little gremlin who wants to harvest clicks and comments from gullible children with disposable keystrokes....

That's Jimmy Smith. I can't hate him. I just can't. He's writing for a newspaper in 2015. To expect more is to expect your Whopper to look like the picture of the Whopper.

On the other hand, look at McNamara. He's a high school teacher in Utah I think, and he's doing laps around people who are deemed "professionals." And he's doing it for free (he may have mentioned that once or twice). But let me tell you guys a story. I used to work at an industrial plant with a guy. Let's call him "Tike Tetillier." He's a well known football analyst around here. When I started working there, I was surprised to find that Tike had a real job just like me. He was always providing quality analysis in the papers, radio, and even on TV. I would often wonder, "Where does the guy find the time?!" Well, I found out pretty quickly. He was the worst operator we had. Pumps would shut off, alarms would sound, lines would break, and he would be locked inside the control room talking on the phone to ESPN or he would have his nose in some draft guide unaware that things were falling apart.

McNamara is twice the analyst Tike Tetillier is, so what I'm thinking is: Mac must be one notoriously terrible high school teacher to be this great an analyst! How many of his pupils think 6x7=67 just so I can have the opportunity to understand the salary cap? How many little kids assumed battle of Waterloo was fought with Super Soakers while I was reading about the personalities of our potential coaches. I'm grateful that Mac sacrifices his time and probably those kids' futures for my basketball IQ! And he's doing it for free, so when he asks me to e-mail some jibroney who stepped to him, you bet I will....and I will crush that fool. It's the least I can do. Mac and Schwann have made countless long drives and loads of laundry more enjoyable with their podcast. When there is breaking Pels news, BBS is the only reputable, well-written place to go read about it. No matter what you think of Mac, you can't deny that. And on Twitter, Mac is entertaining, engaging, and insightful. I've never paid him a dime. I probably owe him something, so if he wants me to tell this TP guy what a horrible job he's doing, then I'm on it!

So yes that guy Carmouche has a seething email coming to him in long-form thinkpiece proportions, and he deserves it. He legitimately believes his staff is putting out quality product, and BBS is conducting some kind of power-play move via the comments section to cut into the lucrative NOLA basketball journalism scene. Wow. I will burn the delusions that middle management d-bag harbors into the stratosphere. If he honestly doesn't realize that Jimmy Smith writes with the simplistic desperation of a thousand Nigerian princes requesting a wire transfer, then he's got to be the dullest man in print, and that's saying something. The last thing I want is someone like that bothering BBS with his paranoid, displaced fears. They already work for nothing. They don't need to waste any time dealing with the TP. I cannot wait to dispel Carmouche's twisted little notions that he's the victim of a few jealous BSS writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post

Jimmy Smith might just be Nicklebacking his way through sports journalism, but let's not forget that newspaper men are the fast food managers of media (high turnover, low wages, and even though they wear ties, nobody takes them seriously). Jimmy probably parks his 2004 Camry outside an apartment complex that looks like a condemned middle school, steps on a dirty diaper on the way to his unit, and right before he unlocks the door to that lair of musty mediocrity, he dreams of getting enough views to one day escape... so he writes, he writes like a furiously uninformed little gremlin who wants to harvest clicks and comments from gullible children with disposable keystrokes....

That's Jimmy Smith. I can't hate him. I just can't. He's writing for a newspaper in 2015. To expect more is to expect your Whopper to look like the picture of the Whopper.

On the other hand, look at McNamara. He's a high school teacher in Utah I think, and he's doing laps around people who are deemed "professionals." And he's doing it for free (he may have mentioned that once or twice). But let me tell you guys a story. I used to work at an industrial plant with a guy. Let's call him "Tike Tetillier." He's a well known football analyst around here. When I started working there, I was surprised to find that Tike had a real job just like me. He was always providing quality analysis in the papers, radio, and even on TV. I would often wonder, "Where does the guy find the time?!" Well, I found out pretty quickly. He was the worst operator we had. Pumps would shut off, alarms would sound, lines would break, and he would be locked inside the control room talking on the phone to ESPN or he would have his nose in some draft guide unaware that things were falling apart.

McNamara is twice the analyst Tike Tetillier is, so what I'm thinking is: Mac must be one notoriously terrible high school teacher to be this great an analyst! How many of his pupils think 6x7=67 just so I can have the opportunity to understand the salary cap? How many little kids assumed battle of Waterloo was fought with Super Soakers while I was reading about the personalities of our potential coaches. I'm grateful that Mac sacrifices his time and probably those kids' futures for my basketball IQ! And he's doing it for free, so when he asks me to e-mail some jibroney who stepped to him, you bet I will....and I will crush that fool. It's the least I can do. Mac and Schwann have made countless long drives and loads of laundry more enjoyable with their podcast. When there is breaking Pels news, BBS is the only reputable, well-written place to go read about it. No matter what you think of Mac, you can't deny that. And on Twitter, Mac is entertaining, engaging, and insightful. I've never paid him a dime. I probably owe him something, so if he wants me to tell this TP guy what a horrible job he's doing, then I'm on it!

So yes that guy Carmouche has a seething email coming to him in long-form thinkpiece proportions, and he deserves it. He legitimately believes his staff is putting out quality product, and BBS is conducting some kind of power-play move via the comments section to cut into the lucrative NOLA basketball journalism scene. Wow. I will burn the delusions that middle management d-bag harbors into the stratosphere. If he honestly doesn't realize that Jimmy Smith writes with the simplistic desperation of a thousand Nigerian princes requesting a wire transfer, then he's got to be the dullest man in print, and that's saying something. The last thing I want is someone like that bothering BBS with his paranoid, displaced fears. They already work for nothing. They don't need to waste any time dealing with the TP. I cannot wait to dispel Carmouche's twisted little notions that he's the victim of a few jealous BSS writers.
    Man I enjoyed reading that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post

*slow clap*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Tell a joke that is either too funny or a joke that he doesnt think is funny at all & YOU are in deep trouble!
    I've said this before, but he does a great job of keeping conversations on point and handling the nearly infinite personalities that forums attract.

While jokes are appropriate on occasion, and can often defuse the tension that inevitably arises when disagreements get heated, dozens of off topic replies and jokes in every thread would make this site itself a joke.

So I will again thank him for all he does here and ask that everyone takes at least a second or two, even if it's just in their own thoughts, to acknowledge that he does in fact make this a better place to talk about basketball.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    I've said this before, but he does a great job of keeping conversations on point and handling the nearly infinite personalities that forums attract.

While jokes are appropriate on occasion, and can often defuse the tension that inevitably arises when disagreements get heated, dozens of off topic replies and jokes in every thread would make this site itself a joke.

So I will again thank him for all he does here and ask that everyone takes at least a second or two, even if it's just in their own thoughts, to acknowledge that he does in fact make this a better place to talk about basketball.
    I don't think this was about Mac haha. Pretty sure it was the guy he was arguing with. Atleast from what I saw it as.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don't think this was about Mac haha. Pretty sure it was the guy he was arguing with. Atleast from what I saw it as.
    Joe's talking about PF

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Joe's talking about PF
    Oh my bad I guess I misunderstood. PF?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Oh my bad I guess I misunderstood. PF?
    Pelicanfan

Wrote this before going through this thread. I really used to love the NOLA site man...smh

Hi Marcus,

I am emailing to voice my displeasure at the Pelicans coverage on your site. I am a displaced New Orleans resident living in DC, and NOLA is my only source for getting the details on my favorite teams. I love your Saints and LSU coverage, I always try to visit every day to get the “real” scoop on my favorite hometown teams when something happens, but I go out of my way to avoid your Pelicans coverage. I have no doubt that the writers, John Reid and Jimmy Smith are excellent reporters. But I do not think they approach the Pelicans with the same professionalism and knowledge as they and other writers approach Saints and LSU coverage. I don’t believe they work hard enough to source their work and I refuse to follow them on twitter. Please know I am loyal to New Orleans and everything that comes out of my city until the day that I die, but I refuse to support and click on anything NOLA does on the Pelicans until the quality of the coverage improves. Thank you for your time.

That is a well articulated, balanced, and fair email. I hope he gives you a legit response
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    While we are at it I have some constructive criticism for pelicansreport.com... It seems like entirely too much of the focus with this website is on the sports writer McNamara, its pretty distracting and can be a detriment to the pelicans discussion. but this seems to be as much the fault of the forum membership as McNamara's.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    While we are at it I have some constructive criticism for pelicansreport.com... It seems like entirely too much of the focus with this website is on the sports writer McNamara, its pretty distracting and can be a detriment to the pelicans discussion. but this seems to be as much the fault of the forum membership as McNamara's.
    Agreed, sometimes i feel that we get bogged down in criticising a person's manner on the boards, which eventually becomes personal attacks that have nothing to do with discussion of the team. I feel that passion should be kept on the team, not personal attacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I brought this back today, I don't think highly of Jimmy Smith but the fact that he doesn't even have a basic understanding of the NBA cap is incredible. Drove me to send an email.

Bump.

Now where do you guys stand? UNO fan did have a good point. You fired one they hire 5 more no-nothings. From what sounds like they will be working out of Alabama now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Bump.

Now where do you guys stand? UNO fan did have a good point. You fired one they hire 5 more no-nothings. From what sounds like they will be working out of Alabama now.
    Yeah, they have been printing out of Mobile for a while now. It's a local paper in name only. My father and a few others can be downsized, but as long as they print, they will never be out of business.

I stand by what I said then. The higher ups are clown shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Yeah, they have been printing out of Mobile for a while now. It's a local paper in name only. My father and a few others can be downsized, but as long as they print, they will never be out of business.

I stand by what I said then. The higher ups are clown shoes.
    It has gone from the best newspaper in the country to a Kim Kardshain newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    It has gone from the best newspaper in the country to a Kim Kardshain newspaper.
    Best newspaper in the country? Yeah, let's pump the brakes on that one...it's gone from a locally beloved glorified fish wrap to a locally reviled outsourced click bait-o-rama.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Best newspaper in the country? Yeah, let's pump the brakes on that one...it's gone from a locally beloved glorified fish wrap to a locally reviled outsourced click bait-o-rama.
    LET'S REPLACE OUR ARTICLES WITH SLIDESHOWS

Thread Information