Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: A Look at Alvin Gentry's Potential Staff if Hired

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    But, as long as you liked my other statement, we are all good!

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    No need for the petty grammar corrections after we finally got saintsfanNO to chill out. You have too much free time if you are trying to instigate another stupid tangent
    He played grammar police last night so I'm just messin. The other statement was pretty damn funny no lie!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-02-2015 at 03:48 PM.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Oh, I didn't realize that he was doing that. No surprise, I guess. But, he offered a nice apology, so we should move on. And thanks!

So, question to everyone else. How much more appealing (in your own minds obviously) is NOLA looking to other players with the new formation of coaching staff? Clearly this is in addition to playing with the likes of AD. I don't necessarily mean this very minute this off season, as we don't really have a lot to work with, but in general and looking to the future. I just thought it would be interesting to gauge. Monty was well liked and respected (from all accounts), but it just seems like the parties being brought in to the coaching circle now really carry a high level of respect throughout the league (lets exclude mark jackson's opinion). Clearly how the team looks and performs throughout the next season will have a major influence, but to me if I was a player with a contract coming up in the next year or two (or just looking for a change), I'd definitely have NOLA as somewhere to keep my eye on and perhaps show a little love and interest to now. Sure small market limits will be there, but the idea of being a part of something potentially very exciting must whet a few more appetites.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Being correct is boring I suppose. People don't mind posting 50 times defending the guy or trying to make me out to be the bad guy; well, what happens when the facts show what I'm saying. Again. I suppose I'm boring and repetitive, but that doesn't make it not correct.

So to recap, yesterday he tells you all "there are some old guys and some young guys being interviewed, get excited." Then, when his feet are held to the fire, he points to the 15 names referenced in his article and post, specifically Igor. Then, less than 12 hours later, two completely separate and previously unmentioned names come out as our prime targets. Now, all of a sudden, Igor is 'falling through.' Erman potentially was not mentioned because he was not thought of as a real possibility. Are people still buying this crap?
    By the same token, Gentry was one of the 2-3 names Mac tweeted out in the initial aftermath of the Williams firing; he was on top of Demps' being the guy leading the search and, seemingly, the criteria he was looking for (pace, offensive slant); that the assistant coaching hire was going to be as big a factor if not even bigger on our ultimate outcome (and they went very hard after a hot name in Erman); has hinted there was a major rift between Williams and Demps during the regular season, and a bunch of other things.

When the rumors were hot that Monty would get canned after the Knicks loss, and it turned out to be the Reiprish firing instead, I got the sense he let some stuff on that Demps/Monty note slip out, thinking it had come to a head. It didn't, and people focused on that, but 'that' other tidbit of info turned out to be on the mark.

TL;DR - Thanks for what you do, Mac.

@ESPNSteinLine: Staying in Orlando, meanwhile, remains strong option for ex-Magic interim coach James Borrego, who has also drawn interest from OKC & Pels

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    @ESPNSteinLine: Staying in Orlando, meanwhile, remains strong option for ex-Magic interim coach James Borrego, who has also drawn interest from OKC & Pels
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Anyone know anything about this guy?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    He was an assistant here under Monty for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    He was an assistant here under Monty for a few seasons.
    So in other words Stein isn't putting out a rumor, more he is making a guess.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So in other words Stein isn't putting out a rumor, more he is making a guess.
    Even if it is a guess I'd say it's a good guess that both Monty and Demps would have interest. He worked his way up the ladder in San Antonio and was a valued assistant when Orlando stole him away.

James Borrego begins his first season as an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic. He spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the New Orleans Hornets.

Prior to joining New Orleans, Borrego spent seven seasons with the San Antonio Spurs from 2003-10. He started as an assistant video coordinator in the summer of 2003 and finished his tenure as an assistant coach. During those season seasons, Borrego was a part of two NBA World Championship teams in 2005 and 2007.
    http://www.nba.com/coachfile/james_borrego/index.html

Has anyone considered the following as possible? They are both in Louisiana. Robert Parish and PJ Brown. Also, a suggestion, try reading with your ears. You'll understand what I mean.
    Last edited by Cajewn; 06-09-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Would love to get Borrego back. I remember him being one of our best assistants and was a big loss when he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajewn View Post
    Has anyone considered the following as possible? They are both in Louisiana. Robert Parish and PJ Brown. Also, a suggestion, try reading with your ears. You'll understand what I mean.
    I would rather have Karl Malone be hired as some personal coach for AD part time. If AD could pick up some of what Malone had he would be unstoppable. Malone is a huge fan of the Pelicans and AD. I think what AD is missing in his game are what Malone was best at and would be a perfect mentor for him.

Thread Information