Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look at Alvin Gentry's Potential Staff if Hired

Quote Originally Posted by KPop1 View Post
    Are Monty's assistants fired with him? I thought a few of the coaches were okay. Fred Vinson, Bryan gates.
    Up to Gentry. He will talk to them and decide.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by KPop1 View Post
    Are Monty's assistants fired with him? I thought a few of the coaches were okay. Fred Vinson, Bryan gates.
    Yea I hope we keep a few guys and I'm sure we will. I like Vinson a lot and I would welcome Gates back also.

My guess is that Vinson is 50/50. Hanson has an okay chance. Ayers no chance and Gates close to no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My guess is that Vinson is 50/50. Hanson has an okay chance. Ayers no chance and Gates close to no chance.
    Yea I forgot about Hanson who I met and was a really cool guy. All that matters is if they are good coaches to me and I'm sure Dell and Gentry will keep the guys that are worth it. I don't know much about Gates I just liked his interviews haha. Ayers was Montys top guy so I don't see how he will be back especially when he brought very little to our team.

I would love to bring Robert Pack back here. I wonder if he is a possibility with Gentry since some of OKCs staff will be turned over.

I would like to see "Thunder" Dan as our assistant. A guy like that on the bench would do wonders with Reke.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would like to see "Thunder" Dan as our assistant. A guy like that on the bench would do wonders with Reke.
    Amin told me last night there is a zero percent chance he leaves GC to become an assistant

Amin told me last night there is a zero percent chance he leaves GC to become an assistant
    Then color me a little less hopeful of the assistant coaches. I think Dan will be a fine NBA coach, and it would have been great,to see him here. Oh well.

There are so many good assistants on their list, and almost all with a better resume than Dan. Don't lose hope

I'm sure the list is long, the experience might be better, but the skins on the wall might not be.

So would Dan be staying at GC in hopes,of getting a better gig down the line?

There are so many good assistants on their list, and almost all with a better resume than Dan. Don't lose hope
    Since I know you won't divulge names, but clearly you inquired with Amin about potential assistants, could you at least say if any names he might have mentioned have you particularly excited?

I mean not just like "oh, ok that would be good." But like any "wow! that would be great" a grand slam type hire.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 06-01-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Also, would Gentry be able to pull Amin to New Orleans to work in an analytics type roll?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Since I know you won't divulge names, but clearly you inquired with Amin about potential assistants, could you at least say if any names he might have mentioned have you particularly excited?

I mean not just like "oh, ok that would be good." But like any "wow! that would be great" type guys.
    Yes. A good collection of experienced guys and young hungry fresh idea guys

I'm sure the list is long, the experience might be better, but the skins on the wall might not be.

So would Dan be staying at GC in hopes,of getting a better gig down the line?
    Yes. Amin said Marjele will become a HC at a bigger college program next. For now, GC is throwing money and facilities at him like crazy

I imagine Dan will be the John Harbaugh of basketball...minus the mom pants.

As for Amin, is he set on staying at ESPN, or is he going to get back into the association?

Banned
    Yes. A good collection of experienced guys and young hungry fresh idea guys
    Lol, give me a break. Thanks for the inside info (again)!

So...we have older guys...and..younger guys. Got it. No wonder you don't reveal your sources when they give up such sensitive info.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I feel very dumb. I thought you were talking about Dan Dickau at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I feel very dumb. I thought you were talking about Dan Dickau at first.
    I have liked that guy since he went off against the Bulls in the NBA Finals back in the early 90's. He has a bright future ahead of him. I had hoped he would have been a dark horse candidate for our HC spot until we named Gentry (maybe that's why I want him as an assistant...in case Genty gets canned mid season or something).

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Lol, give me a break. Thanks for the inside info (again)!

So...we have older guys...and..younger guys. Got it. No wonder you don't reveal your sources when they give up such sensitive info.
    Dude, what is your issue?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    I think his avatar might explain it!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's no longer just a SAS avatar-bearer. He's becoming the mask.

Banned
    I just don't understand always making a point to say that you have sources or some inside info yet you NEVER disclose anything of value or substance while things are going on. THEN once things happen you do all kind of hindsight chest pounding about 'calling things.' I just don't get it.

During the coaching search it was the same thing. "There are a bunch of guys, some names will come out, some won't." Yet you didn't know who was interview, or who was even doing the interviewing! Then things come out and it's "remember I told you all..." or "have you all been reading..." or things like that. What's the point of that? You can paint me as an ******* or what-have-you, but this stuff begs to be called out in my opinion. If you want to keep saying how you have sources and know this and that, then actually put something of substance out there and stand behind your sources. That's not what you do, you say wildly generic things that are incapable of being wrong and then come back once the actual news comes out and claim that you saw this coming.

I'm really not trying to heckle you, and I think you are an amazing writer, but the rest of this stuff bothers me. Instead of getting YOUR great insight, we have a bunch of people feeding into this and asking you questions related to your sources to which the answers provide nothing of substance. For instance, I would much rather hear "McNamara, who do you think are the best assistant coaches," rather than "McNamara, what do your sources say?" I haven't seen anything that actually shows your sources release anything of value to you (and subsequently you to us), so what's the point to keep on with it?

This is the same principle as you with the Nola.com issue. You are a great writer with a great basketball mind, but you are lowering yourself (IMHO) by trying to be some scoop reporter when you're clearly not. Do you get insight from guys in the league, yeah; do you get inside info and leaked new before it break to the general public, I have serious doubts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I think his avatar might explain it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He's no longer just a SAS avatar-bearer. He's becoming the mask.
    Lol, nice. I'm really not trying to be an ***, but come on. Can you tell us anything?? "Yeah we have some young guys and some old guys!" Focus on what you do, analyze the game and the team. He's not PR.com Woj, despite what people appear to think. He want Nola.com to uphold their standard and, after reading his stuff for so long (which I always thought was great), I want the same from him.

Go back and read the question I was responding to. Then, my answer. Then, after you are done feeling stupid, apologize. Thanks

Banned
    Go back and read the question I was responding to. Then, my answer. Then, after you are done feeling stupid, apologize. Thanks
    I read the question and know the response. I realize he didn't ask you for specific names. He asked what he did because you refuse to give names or any substantive information ever (take what he can get if you will). My response to your question remains the same and, if you would like to show me where this is untrue, I'll consider apologizing. Let's see where you were even remotely close to calling anything before it happened? I can show you where you chest pound afterwards.... Stick to what you do. Thanks.

No one wants your source, but the point of sources and keeping them anonymous is to protect the info they give you. What's that info from you? "We have some guys interviewing for the head coaching job, but I can't tell you who. Some names will come out and some won't." If that's what you are going to use your sources for then what's the point of constantly boasting about the sources you have?? Just be an analyst.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 06-01-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Thread Information