Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Look at Alvin Gentry's Potential Staff if Hired

A Look at Alvin Gentry's Potential Staff if Hired

Remember, the Head Coach that we hire is just a small part of the equation. The staff will be equally, if not more, important.

Already did one of these on Van Gundy, so with that in mind, let's look at some of the assistants Gentry might hire

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/?p=49830
    @mcnamara247

I think Gentry will be the coach I'm trying to be positive about him I admit I don't know a lot about him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone's missing the point with Gentry. Obviously, since he coached GSW this year, Steph, Klay, and Draymond will all want to come here. And since he coached the Clippers last year, CP and Blake will as well.

On the one hand the thought of Gentry as the new head coach does not really get one excited, but then you watch the way the Warriors movo without the ball and how fluid their offense is. I want that!!!!!! I am so tired of watching our point guard dribble the shot clock away while the other 4 guys stand stagnantly by watching him dribble. I also heard that Gentry made the key "defensive" adjustment in the Grizzlies series that allowed the Warriors to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by ArronRx View Post
    On the one hand the thought of Gentry as the new head coach does not really get one excited, but then you watch the way the Warriors movo without the ball and how fluid their offense is. I want that!!!!!! I am so tired of watching our point guard dribble the shot clock away while the other 4 guys stand stagnantly by watching him dribble. I also heard that Gentry made the key "defensive" adjustment in the Grizzlies series that allowed the Warriors to come back.
    He injured Tony Allen?

I honestly just hope that the HC can be a solid recruiter, as in, with AD they can sell others on coming to New Orleans. Like players who went to Monty after games, and told him, "Don't forget about me this offseason." That what I hope this coach can bring, but on a scale larger that Anthony Morrow.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I've learned more about a HC search in the last few weeks than I ever wanted. Good work MM and I'm in the "Dell's Got This" camp.

If he's doing this much research on the hire, and makes the most informed decision (regardless of the hire), have to think Dell has a vision and this coach will help get us there.

FYI, I LOVE that Dell is taking his time. Thorough & meticulous are words that come to mind...

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I'm up for Armondo Hill ... he coached my brother at the Lawrenceville School. It was Armondo's first coaching gig, which eventually led him to coaching at Princeton. Cool guy who has lots of experience by sitting alongside Doc.

Dell better have this right. As far assistants Dan Majerie or even maybe someone like PJ Carlismo or Lawrence Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He injured Tony Allen?
    The Warriors exposed him later in the series.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    The Warriors exposed him later in the series.

I mean, go up against Jordan with a hamstring injury and you could probably expose him a bit too.

Tony allen and Mike Conley together were 2-0 on the series. Together, relatively healthy, they were giving that team fits. I contend it would of been a much different series had Allen stayed healthy.

The Suns did make some changes on coaching staff.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...oaching-staff/

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Bronco ... I'm with you on that. I actually thought going in that Memphis would win. I still think that they would have won if they were fully healthy

Wait till they find out (Loomis Inc) who Gentry could have in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Bronco ... I'm with you on that. I actually thought going in that Memphis would win. I still think that they would have won if they were fully healthy
    No way they would have. They basically let Allen shoot from the perimeter. He became a weakness for the Grizzlies.

We have to trade EG if the offense will be fast pace and players have to move. All he can do is stand and shoot.

And why does every one think we need a coach to continue to develop AD? What else besides a low post move?

I'm looking forward to seeing who Alvin's chipmunks will be!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I could have put another 10 - 15 names on here easily. I am telling you guys, there are so many good defensive assistants out there. Just a few more:

Andy Greer, Chicago
    Tim Grurich, Denver
    Donald Newman, Washington
    Stephen Silas, Charlotte
    Mike Longabard, Phoenix
    Jor Prunty, Milwaukee
    Nate McMillen, Indiana

Just so many.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-31-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Don Newman would be the one I would watch for BTW. And I think he would be a great hire. Would be the perfect Ying to Gentry's Yang.

Honestly, there are just so many good defensive coaches to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I could have put another 10 - 15 names on here easily. I am telling you guys, there are so many good defensive assistants out there. Just a few more:

Andy Greer, Chicago
    Tim Grurich, Denver
    Donald Newman, Washington
    Stephen Silas, Charlotte
    Mike Longabard, Phoenix
    Jor Prunty, Milwaukee
    Nate McMillen, Indiana

Just so many.
    I wasn't very excited about the list from the article, but this one inspires me way more. There's 3 guys that I like more in particular :

Don Newman
    Stephen Silas
    Andry Greer

If we can go away with any of these 3, I think I would be more confident moving forward.

Regarding your list MM, I think you can already scratch Nate McMillan, no way he would come to Nola after what Dell did to his former lead assistant.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-31-2015 at 08:08 AM.

u dont think mike malone is possible

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    u dont think mike malone is possible
    I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Remember, the Head Coach that we hire is just a small part of the equation. The staff will be equally, if not more, important.

Already did one of these on Van Gundy, so with that in mind, let's look at some of the assistants Gentry might hire

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/?p=49830
    Are Monty's assistants fired with him? I thought a few of the coaches were okay. Fred Vinson, Bryan gates.

I think with what we paid Gentry really gives us the opportunity to offer up a nice salary for some top assistants. I would love to get Malone of course if it's even possible. McMillan and Shaw would also be great hires and Shaw is really someone that players love and respect. I don't think Shaw to Golden St is done at all. Unless we are stealing Adams away from them with Gentry which is very possible I see us as a much more intriguing team to go to then them. We open more doors for Shaw if he can come here and help turn is around on defense then it would with Golden St.

Thread Information