Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: A Look at Alvin Gentry's Potential Staff if Hired

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    What is the gain in telling Nola.com the criticisms that were gathered yesterday? Quality.

Maybe if more call him out on this crap he'll stick to what he is actually good at, which is analyzing and writing. He's not scooping anything so why does the board need to be cluttered with that crap and people asking him things he has no access to (or, if you believe him, won't divulge)?

It's ok to like MM and still recognize this crap. I mean the guy literally responded to a question by saying "well there are some old guys and some young guys, get excited." That's what people want to read and invite on this forum? I'd much rather read his firsthand take on his own thoughts on who should be our new staff. People treating him like he is some source of information is only going to further the b*******. This is literally no different than his purpose with Nola.com. He's hypocritical. Sorry, but a guy writing that sort of crap routinely should be called out. I'm sorry to see people here that can't separate support from reality, but that's the simple answer to your questions. I actually feel like I support MM and will continue to read his stuff, but BS is BS, period.
    You are literally talking about 2 post in this entire thread. I think you misunderstood my original question. If someone says they know something, but can't get into specifics, asking further questions will only frustrate both parties.

What quality needs to improved? The board? MM's post?

Also, this coaching search has been handled mostly behind the scenes, yet the guy we hired (and most of those we interviewed) were mentioned by BSS. Now the assistants is whole new ball game. It's mostly guys NONE of us know more than his team names. The level of detail on the potential staff and their roles was top notch.

According to Stein, Darren Erman is our top choice for the lead assistant position. Seems legit as a defensive guru, less thrilled by the whole "recording team talk" he had during Mark Jackson's tenure.

Regarding Igor Kokoskov, he would be nice but if some were afraid of Thibodeaux exhausting the players, I don't know if chosing a Serbian coach is much better. In my opinion it can't hurt a young team but with him the training should be ruthless.
    Last edited by Blattman; 06-01-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    According to Stein, Darren Erman is our top choice for the lead assistant position. Seems legit as a defensive guru, less thrilled by the whole "recording team talk" he had during Mark Jackson's tenure.
    I just saw this too....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Banned
    @ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources say Pelicans putting on full-court press to hire Darren Erman as defensive guru for new coach Alvin Gentry's coaching staff

@BA_Turner: New Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry to hire former OKC, Clippers assistant coach Robert Pack to his staff as assistant, sources. Great hire.

Out of the 15 names, the first two names to actually come out were not on that massive list. Apparently, McNamara thought Erman was "not possible" so he wasn't included. People starting to get the picture yet?

Now Igor magically 'falls through' after news about two assistants never mentioned comes out; this is hours after he finally stands behind Igor. Anyone want to show me a private message mentioning Pack or Erman? 0/2 with 15 swings.

Blind McNamara supporters come tell me how I'm wrong again when this is literally what I said routinely happens yesterday, ready? GO!

You're seriously getting boring, you know that don't you? Can you continue your personal crusade in private instead of dishing out these childish remarks in every possible thread? After the 10th time it really gets old

Odesláno Tapatalkem za použitÃ** mojÃ** vlastnÃ** želvy

Banned
    Being correct is boring I suppose. People don't mind posting 50 times defending the guy or trying to make me out to be the bad guy; well, what happens when the facts show what I'm saying. Again. I suppose I'm boring and repetitive, but that doesn't make it not correct.

So to recap, yesterday he tells you all "there are some old guys and some young guys being interviewed, get excited." Then, when his feet are held to the fire, he points to the 15 names referenced in his article and post, specifically Igor. Then, less than 12 hours later, two completely separate and previously unmentioned names come out as our prime targets. Now, all of a sudden, Igor is 'falling through.' Erman potentially was not mentioned because he was not thought of as a real possibility. Are people still buying this crap?

Banned
    But you got a deal, that'll be my last post about any of this provided no one continues the argument. It's all in front of you.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    McNamara never said his assistants were from sources, quite the opposite. Igor is the only name you've got.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    McNamara never said his assistants were from sources, quite the opposite. Igor is the only name you've got.
    When I initially brought up the issue, he pointed to two names that he referenced in the article and his post as things I now "knew" because of him. See:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So you knew Igor K was on our list a few hours ago? That we were perusing D Newman?

Oh, okay, my bad. Then I will leave the reporting to you. Go ahead sir!!
    What you are saying is exactly my point. He's vague about what's sourced, what's not sourced. I promise you if a report came out last night that we were talking to Armando Hill or Phil Weber (in his article) he would be beating his chest right now about "who told you all about Weber?!"

I called him out about being vague and, instead of seeing the facts, people just want to blindly defend him because he writes good stuff. It is a fact that he put 15 names in an article/post about potential assistant coaches and was vague about if any of this was sourced or not (though he constantly mentions that he has sources while doing so). Then, when pressed, he put out two names, neither of which appears to be correct as our targets and magically, the guy he "doubted would be a waste of out time" to research (Igor) 'fell through.' That's magical. Wake up.

It's why I don't say specific names. It's a no win scenario for me. Look, I guarantee if you talk to anybody in the organization that is willing to talk to you, they will tell you they went hard after Igor. After it looked good for a while, things shifted from Igor's end because we couldn't offer the Associate HC role.

I do not have people in Igor's camp, surprisingly.

I also did not write an article or tweet that we were going to hire him. I gave you guys a name we were going after and told you to research him if you want.

Spoiler Alert - We will go after free agents too that will say no to us. I am guessing you guys would prefer that I not share our targets and only share the guys we will definitely sign after it has been agreed on by both parties. So that's what I will do.
    @mcnamara247

It's why I don't say specific names. It's a no win scenario for me. Look, I guarantee if you talk to anybody in the organization that is willing to talk to you, they will tell you they went hard after Igor. After it looked good for a while, things shifted from Igor's end because we couldn't offer the Associate HC role.

I do not have people in Igor's camp, surprisingly.

I also did not write an article or tweet that we were going to hire him. I gave you guys a name we were going after and told you to research him if you want.

Spoiler Alert - We will go after free agents too that will say no to us. I am guessing you guys would prefer that I not share our targets and only share the guys we will definitely sign after it has been agreed on by both parties. So that's what I will do.
    Speaking for me, that would be false. I love hearing the rumblings, even if they don't come to fruition.

Have you ever had sources saintsinNO? Can you imagine what it is like having information that either can or cannot be let out? Or either receiving info or not? That's part of having a source. You are simply the outlet of information for the person who is leaking it. You only know what they tell you, and you don't know what they don't tell you. They very well could have had those guys on their list and told MM that they are high priority targets. So MM ran with that as it is what he knew. It is also highly possible that the FO was playing some of the interviews closer to the chest and didn't let MM know, so he assumed they were not realistic targets based on what he did know.

Pretty simple logic here to work out. You seem to want to knock one of the best Pels journalists we have when he is simply doing the best he can. He isn't perfect. He never will be. But he is thought provoking and provides information that we would never sniff without him.

Y'all just need to take it down a notch this isn't a competition. Well it actually is, but not between you two. It's between the Pelicans and the league.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You join date says this year, but you know of HH, who were you in another life?
    same name without 23 joined when we first acquired the team. Lost access to my old account due to forgetting my previous email

I got nobody to blame but myself. I got goaded into throwing something out there against my better judgement and that is my fault.

Again, from now on, I will only post done deals. No more rumblings or guys we are after. Lesson learned.

Again, from now on, I will only post done deals. No more rumblings or guys we are after. Lesson learned.
    Soooo your saying Durant is done deal next off season, lol. In all seriousness you can't please everyone but if the majority appreciate the work you do thats all that matters. Don't let the select few spoil your passion and ruin the joy others get from your work.

Banned
    I got nobody to blame but myself. I got goaded into throwing something out there against my better judgement and that is my fault.

Typical McNamara response. Either a pity party, condescending, or cries and goes into hiding. It's ridiculous. No one is saying anything about the information you put out, it's about the way you act afterwards. If you want to take credit, then you have to put yourself out there beforehand, which you never do; so when the news comes out, just analyze it, don't try and take credit for knowing it beforehand.

What you're doing here now is leveraging your place in this forum and using it to not have to admit or address your faults (readily transparent). You know people enjoy your writing and the little bit of inside information you give them, so you are threatening to take that away to gather people to defend you rather than actually addressing the things I've said. That sounds familiar...? Yet you want to get on your high-horse and preach to Nola.com. Please.

Here, we can break it down:

1. Do you routinely post "have you all been listening," "I told you all so," and "I wanted to say before this came out, but couldn't say anything (?)" Yes.
    2. Have you ever actually broke anything that wasn't already generally known at the time you said it? No.
    3. Did you defend your position by saying you 'secretly' message a select few, but have no proof of any actual knowledge? Yes.
    4. Did you write "we are interviewing a lot of guys, some names will come out, others won't, but I know it's a lot, but can't say" during the head coaching search?? Yes.
    5. Did you write "we are interviewing some young guys, and some old guys, get excited" yesterday while addressing the assistant coaching situation?? Yes.
    6. Did you name 15 total assistants in your article and subsequent post regarding the article?? Yes.
    7. Did you provide two names (out of those 15) when pressed for any actual information?? Yes.
    8. Has any ONE of the 15 you cited been hired or mentioned by anyone who actually knows things?? No.

Put that all together and you get a pretty clear answer. Stop gloating after news comes out and you won't get called out for not knowing ****. Stop crying about it. If I'm wrong then address it. But now your leveraging your input to the forum as a catalyst to get people to defend you. Pathetic. Just stop gloating and it's a non issue. Or, if you want to gloat and claim credit, put your news out there like EVERY OTHER WRITER WHO BREAKS NEWS. I've never heard Woj or Stein saying "yep see, I called it, I just couldn't tell y'all 'til it was out." People can say what they want about me being an *******, but this is all fact and you are becoming a joke. Isn't this the same reaction as to why you don't like Nola??
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 06-02-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Soooo your saying Durant is done deal next off season, lol. In all seriousness you can't please everyone but if the majority appreciate the work you do thats all that matters. Don't let the select few spoil your passion and ruin the joy others get from your work.
    This. Put the ignore feature to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    This. Put the ignore feature to use.
    Is this a real function? Where is it??

Found it! Thank you - this is the greatest day ever.

Is this a real function? Where is it??
    select settings: left column edit ignore list.

Found it! Thank you - this is the greatest day ever.
    Lol I'm slow my bad

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    As a guy who has been on here since '04, I have never thought of MM as one to boast. You are going way overboard SaintsinNO

Banned
    We we've had me kicked out of the special insider info forum before it opens, called names, told I'm not in the secret message club, threats about withholding info, and now ignore buttons.

Did I miss the part were anyone said McNamara doesn't gloat after news breaks or actually ever called something beforehand when he did? You know, actually shown what I'm saying isn't true? Didn't think so. Last night was the first time in a long time news broke and he didn't say or allude to knowing about it. I'm done here if he and his blind following are.

Honestly this seems to be the way it goes with anyone that has sources. If you check out the pr.com vault you can go back to the CP3 days and you have similar scenarios, I think there was a poster with inside info called chosen1 or something. Harvey used to have the same things, which is why he never went heavy into the scoops, just would drop nuggets here and there to pique interest.

Anyway, you don't divulge exact details to protect the source's integrity, so it turns into a guessing game. Then people get mad, even if the info turns out to be correct after they guess the right person. Not all people mind you, just one or two (who are always the most vocal).

I think what you've done so far is fine, I think the process of what is happening is good enough for many people, I think you could just continue on as is and ignore the flamers. Actually they used to moderate alot more strictly back in the day so this sort of dissent would have been shut down pretty quickly (ie deleted posts or shut down of threads/banning)

Here's a couple links to some of the scoop threads:

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...nd-Davis/page2

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...R-PLAYER-MOVES (turns out the dude is no1hornet)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    As a guy who has been on here since '04, I have never thought of MM as one to boast. You are going way overboard SaintsinNO
    Boasting/Gloating is the simple word I am using it to describe what I'm referring to, but I'm not implying he's disrespectful or malicious when doing it. But a guy with a following and who appears to want to be seen as a respected sports writer for the Pelicans shouldn't claim credit for knowledge of things routinely if he literally never actually puts himself out there and calls it and stands behind his source.

He may have sources, he may know things, but he may not. And you don't claim credit all the time if you also isolate yourself from being disproven, it's fraudulent. And I'm not going overboard, I've offered to bury it several times, but I'm going to address additional things said. No one has actually address my allegations, but want to keep defending him on other (irrelevant) grounds. I've also been here for quite some time. I respect your thoughts on it, but it is what it is.

Thread Information