Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Who would you want as the new HC?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alvin Gentry

20 25.00%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

60 75.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gentry vs JVG who would you choose?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Bucks without a doubt are absolutely stacked. In 3 years I could see them making a serious push. And they did with they did this year with Parker injured.

After the two trades I think the Celtics are solid enough to have done what they did. They had a good core of guys and adding Crowder and Thomas was a big improvement.

The "playoff pushes" is really irrelevant anyway. Neither team was over .500 and yet they both were not only in Playoffs but 6&7th seeds. That's like giving my dog a cookie because she only craps in the house half the time.

Hey even Monty had an 11 game improvement this year and knocked the Thunder out of the playoffs. If just record was important he wouldn't have been fired.

Not that I'm against JVG or Thibs but hasn't Gentry made it just as far as either of them and with a worse team? Honestly, I don't think we can strike out with our hire whoever it is.
    Milwaukee needs shooters! Hey, Eric Gordon !

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Bucks without a doubt are absolutely stacked. In 3 years I could see them making a serious push. And they did with they did this year with Parker injured.

After the two trades I think the Celtics are solid enough to have done what they did. They had a good core of guys and adding Crowder and Thomas was a big improvement.

The "playoff pushes" is really irrelevant anyway. Neither team was over .500 and yet they both were not only in Playoffs but 6&7th seeds. That's like giving my dog a cookie because she only craps in the house half the time.

Hey even Monty had an 11 game improvement this year and knocked the Thunder out of the playoffs. If just record was important he wouldn't have been fired.

Not that I'm against JVG or Thibs but hasn't Gentry made it just as far as either of them and with a worse team? Honestly, I don't think we can strike out with our hire whoever it is.
    I don't think we can strike out but I don't think Gentry is a home run either is my point. Or more my opinion based on my admitted only recently researched opinion on him. But of those three he is at my bottom. But like you said I still think that means he is an improvement. Just not convinced it is a great one yet.

We're kinda getting away from the topic though. I think there are a lot young, talented teams over the last decade that you could say in 2-3 years will be really good. It's getting those guys to actually produce so early that is quite the feat. I just sort of see Gentry as a coach that will be above average with a very good roster whereas i see guys like Stevens and Kidd likely being elite with a very good roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Who said he was a great coach? You're making stuff up! Those 4 guys were role players, no star, no go-to guy! And for Godsake, thats 4 guys on that roster. It's nice to have 4 average to a little above average players on the team & have 10 other guys that you have never heard of! The Clippers stunk for 35 years. BTW, your credibility dissolved when you pulled "GREAT COACH" out of thin air! That premise is a non-starter.
    Elton Brand was a "little above average player" ? Ok so you must follow NBA only since 4 to 5 years, it explains a lot.

I can only encourage you to take a look at this page : http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NJN/2002.html, take a close look at the roster and next look at their results. After that I don't think you could say that Gentry wasn't bad in his stint with the clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Elton Brand was a "little above average player" ? Ok so you must follow NBA only since 4 to 5 years, it explains a lot.

I can only encourage you to take a look at this page : http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NJN/2002.html, take a close look at the roster and next look at their results. After that I don't think you could say that Gentry wasn't bad in his stint with the clippers.
    Typical ! Thats your one, thats your one ! Elton Brand an above average scorer & rebounder, slow as hell on defense! So, your argument went from you saying that I said "Gentry was Great" to Gentry having 4 players w/ name recognition, to Gentry should have won w/ the Clippers because he had an above average offensive power forward.. Man, this train has a wobbly track . Next, you'll be saying Maggette was GREAT & Odom was as consistant as they come (Both mentally and physically) . Those Clipper teams were borderline Putrid! & it wasnt Gentry's fault! Elton Brand- Kudos! When you cant win the argument, change the subject! I said the Clippers were bad, lacked talent & it wasn't Gentry's fault...You said that I said Gentry was Great. (I DIDNT). You then change the argument to focus on 1 guy (Elton Brand),for what, I'm not exactly sure. I guess its because you realized Maggette, Odom & Andre Miller were serviceables at best.
    So, we will go with you on this one. You think Elton Brand was great, therefore Gentry sucked becase he should have won w/ a guy like Brand. OK
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-30-2015 at 03:21 PM.

I am neither here nor there on Gentry, but to say Brand was anything less than a top 4 or 5 big man during the 2000's is crazy. He was a step above what DX was while DX was going through his "Most underrated player in the NBA" stage. Brand was plenty great, the only problem he had was he was on the Clippers before the Clippers were cool. Who knows what he and Baron Davis could have accomplished together at the end of BD's career, but BD told him to go chase the cash (typical BD).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am neither here nor there on Gentry, but to say Brand was anything less than a top 4 or 5 big man during the 2000's is crazy. He was a step above what DX was while DX was going through his "Most underrated player in the NBA" stage. Brand was plenty great, the only problem he had was he was on the Clippers before the Clippers were cool. Who knows what he and Baron Davis could have accomplished together at the end of BD's career, but BD told him to go chase the cash (typical BD).
    For a 5 yr span Brand was Above AVERAGE offensively, average on Defense. I'll buy that ! That's not what his Beef was. I said that 90% of the Clips team didn't have a Wikipedia entry! He named Brand, Maggette, Andre Miller & Lamar Odom..& NOBODY ELSE! So, one All- Star & 3 roll players ? & Gentry is to blame.Take a look at the other 9 players on those teams.They were AWFUL!

I will say this. When looking at his teams/records it does make me a little nervous but there are a lot of factors missing like Assistants,Injuries, etc. Also none of the teams other than phx with Nash had a superstar like AD.

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    I will say this. When looking at his teams/records it does make me a little nervous but there are a lot of factors missing like Assistants,Injuries, etc. Also none of the teams other than phx with Nash had a superstar like AD.
    I am a JVG supporter, but I dont think Gentry's record DQ's him!

For a 5 yr span Brand was Above AVERAGE offensively, average on Defense. I'll buy that ! That's not what his Beef was. I said that 90% of the Clips team didn't have a Wikipedia entry! He named Brand, Maggette, Andre Miller & Lamar Odom..& NOBODY ELSE! So, one All- Star & 3 roll players ? & Gentry is to blame.Take a look at the other 9 players on those teams.They were AWFUL!
    Ok but then Mike Dunkeavy comes in and in 3 seasons gets a similarly sparsely talented roster to 47 wins.

I mean very few coaches can coach up a bunch of poor to average players and one or two good players to even a .500 record so I am not holding too much against Gentry but when a guy like Thibs or Van Gundy are out there I have a hard time looking past them for Gentry.

You want to talk about doing a lot with a little Thibs has proven it a couple of seasons with some of those rosters he had to make work due to Rose and others being out. Van Gundy has found and sustained relative success everywhere so he is a safer choice as well.

Don't hate Gentry, just still not as sold as I am on the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Ok but then Mike Dunkeavy comes in and in 3 seasons gets a similarly sparsely talented roster to 47 wins.

I mean very few coaches can coach up a bunch of poor to average players and one or two good players to even a .500 record so I am not holding too much against Gentry but when a guy like Thibs or Van Gundy are out there I have a hard time looking past them for Gentry.

You want to talk about doing a lot with a little Thibs has proven it a couple of seasons with some of those rosters he had to make work due to Rose and others being out. Van Gundy has found and sustained relative success everywhere so he is a safer choice as well.

Totally Agree. I'm not hating on Gentry! Actually the opposite, but I'm hoping for JVG !

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

That team Dunleavy had in 05-06 was completely different. Much Better team ! Sam Cassell, Chris Kaman, Cuttino Mobley & Radmanovic. Along w/ Maggette & Brand ! Thats a pretty good nucleus. Kaman was an All-Star, Ramanovic was one of the 1st true stretchers as far as bigs shooting 3's . Dunleavy had 28 wins his 1st year & 37 his 2nd! 3rd year SQUAD was Much better than Gentry's teams!

I could have named Earl Boykins or Keyon Dooling or Darius Miles or even Quentin Richardson. That's half of the team. And even If I didn't, 11/15 is still less than 90%, just saying...

Now, I don't have time to lose to argue more with you on this point. Saying that Brand was an "average rebounder" while he was the 4th best rebound in the league is comical enough itself, let say we agree to disagree on the whole "Gentry wasn't a bad coach with the clippers".

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I could have named Earl Boykins or Keyon Dooling or Darius Miles or even Quentin Richardson. That's half of the team. And even If I didn't, 11/15 is still less than 90%, just saying...

Now, I don't have time to lose to argue more with you on this point. Saying that Brand was an "average rebounder" while he was the 4th best rebound in the league is comical enough itself, let say we agree to disagree on the whole "Gentry wasn't a bad coach with the clippers".
    Good grief ! Drink some more caffeine! Look up the word metaphorically ! OR better yet,check out Literal & figuratively ! Once again, you've changed the subject. Thats OK, though . i'll assume your running low on your Ridalyn! Just a reminder: You responded to me ! Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have always said I think it is easier to find good defensive assistants. I like JVG more in a vacuum, but if Gentry can get a great defensive mind on his bench, I think it could be a home run for the next few years
    Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

As a head coach, does anyone know where Gentry's offenses have ranked?

The other thing that has me rooting for JVG is a guy I know that coached Morrow and Jarrett Jack at GA Tech always said we would never win a championship with Monty. I talked to him the other day and he seems to think JVG is a homer and Gentry is just Meh. Granted it is just the opinion of an assistant college coach but he has a lot more experience than me.

Until we know which core players will be back its too hard to decide which coach is better. I don't want a coach who is going to shake up this team too much.

Banned
    What you posted is probably NOT your opinion. You like to hit&Run! You dont have a concrete opinion, so you choose to be an antogonist, instead! State your claim !
    That makes no sense. Anyway, can't imagine a star like AD staying in New Orleans. I can't picture JVG here because if AD does leave...we will go through not just an AD drama, but a JVG drama as he tries to leave and the team is left a mess. I guess I'd choose Gentry since he'll be happy just having a job.

Thread Information