Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Who would you want as the new HC?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alvin Gentry

20 25.00%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

60 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gentry vs JVG who would you choose?

Gentry vs JVG who would you choose?

The offensive minded vs Defensive minded who would you chose andwhy the pros and cons of each.

1-6

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Whoever AD wants !!!!!!

Gentry with a good defensive assistant. Gentry is one of the best offensive minds in the league right now. He will take our offense to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post
    Gentry with a good defensive assistant. Gentry is one of the best offensive minds in the league right now. He will take our offense to the next level
    Gentry had success when his points guards were Paul, Nash and Curry. I don't think our point guards are in the same class. No coach will solve our interior defense problems. It's a personnel issue because of the lack of athleticism except for Davis

I picked JVG, but would be okay with a Gentry hire. I'm satisfied that Dell did a lot of interviews, and will trust his decision.

I have always said I think it is easier to find good defensive assistants. I like JVG more in a vacuum, but if Gentry can get a great defensive mind on his bench, I think it could be a home run for the next few years
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Whoever AD wants !!!!!!
    LOL! This x1000! Plus the girl on your avatar is hot too!

Gentry with Malone has head assistant would you say no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    LOL! This x1000! Plus the girl on your avatar is hot too!
    Yes, she definitely gives avatars and allergies a good name!

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case no. But i think that is unrealistic.

JVG gets my vote but the gap has closed a decent bit the more I have read on each.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Malone will have one foot out the door, and if he's what makes Gentry acceptable then it's not a good solution.

I'll take Gentry. Thanks

I see mostly one thing with Gentry : the only time one of his team was in the better half of the league in terms of Defensive rating, it was when his team played at a slow pace (Pistons in the late 90s). If you take a look at his other recent stints, the defense of his teams were just terrible.

So give me the proven winner, with great media and league connections.

Banned
    Gentry would be a step down from our former leader. JVG will be a short and tumultuous reign. AD will leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Gentry would be a step down from our former leader. JVG will be a short and tumultuous reign. AD will leave.
    Love the positivity! Go Pelicans!!!

P.S. Whether all that happens or not, you saying it now didn't make it so. If one is positive sometimes they will be right; If one is negative sometimes they will be right. One path is miserable and one is not, the power is yours.

I understand in Phoenix they refused to re-sign stoudemire and Gentry's team kind of fell apart talent wise but what is the excuse for him failing everywhere else?

I know he wasn't put in the best situation but you look at guys like Brad Stevens and Jason Kidd taking some pretty lackluster teams to decent records and I still have a lot of doubts.

Plus people forget Gentry was a fallback for Kerr(and Cleveland for that matter), he had Blatt lined up before he signed with Cleveland. I just also worry we are jumping on the coat tails of a successful head coach who has made his lead assistant look better then he is.

I somehow doubt had Gentry been with th Clippers again this season we would be targeting him.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-30-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I understand in Phoenix they refused to re-sign stoudemire and Gentry's team kind of fell apart talent wise but what is the excuse for him failing everywhere else?

I know he wasn't put in the best situation but you look at guys like Brad Stevens and Jason Kidd taking some pretty lackluster teams to decent records and I still have a lot of doubts.

Plus people forget Gentry was a fallback for Kerr(and Cleveland for that matter), he had Blatt lined up before he signed with Cleveland. I just also worry we are jumping on the coat tails of a successful head coach who has made his lead assistant look better then he is.

I somehow doubt had Gentry been with th Clippers again this season we would be targeting him.
    Um. Both Kidd and Stevens have young, but teams full of talent. Also both teams were either at or below .500. Somehow they are successful but a coach who has lead a team to the WCF is riding coat tails?

Why have we not stolen Avery from Bama? His record is amazing. . .

Go research the ROSTERS (if thats what you want to call it) of his teams while w/ the Clippers ! I dont think 90% of the roster has a Wikipedia entry . Top notch college teams would would take best of 7 series the distance

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Go research the ROSTERS (if thats what you want to call it) of his teams while w/ the Clippers ! I dont think 90% of the roster has a Wikipedia entry . Top notch college teams would would take best of 7 series the distance
    Are you really saying that a roster with Andre Miller, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand and Lamar Odom was less talented than a college basketball team in early 00s ? I mean, if you go that way just take a look at the nets in the same period. This was a team that played in the final with Byron Scott as head coach.

There's a real point for Gentry about his evolution as coach from previous experience, but if you start to say he was a great coach with the clippers, you have already lost any credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Um. Both Kidd and Stevens have young, but teams full of talent. Also both teams were either at or below .500. Somehow they are successful but a coach who has lead a team to the WCF is riding coat tails?

Why have we not stolen Avery from Bama? His record is amazing. . .
    I wouldn't say either of those teams are particularly stacked with great talent though. Boston especially. Give most head coaches that roster and they are a high lottery team.

Lots of teams have young talent but not a lot of them make playoff pushes like Boston.

I don't think Gentry is a bust pick but I do think I still prefer Thibs or JVG.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    Love the positivity! Go Pelicans!!!

P.S. Whether all that happens or not, you saying it now didn't make it so. If one is positive sometimes they will be right; If one is negative sometimes they will be right. One path is miserable and one is not, the power is yours.
    Like an *******...I've got an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Are you really saying that a roster with Andre Miller, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand and Lamar Odom was less talented than a college basketball team in early 00s ? I mean, if you go that way just take a look at the nets in the same period. This was a team that played in the final with Byron Scott as head coach.

There's a real point for Gentry about his evolution as coach from previous experience, but if you start to say he was a great coach with the clippers, you have already lost any credibility.
    Who said he was a great coach? You're making stuff up! Those 4 guys were role players, no star, no go-to guy! And for Godsake, thats 4 guys on that roster. It's nice to have 4 average to a little above average players on the team & have 10 other guys that you have never heard of! The Clippers stunk for 35 years. BTW, your credibility dissolved when you pulled "GREAT COACH" out of thin air! That premise is a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Like an *******...I've got an opinion.

What you posted is probably NOT your opinion. You like to hit&Run! You dont have a concrete opinion, so you choose to be an antogonist, instead! State your claim !

I wouldn't say either of those teams are particularly stacked with great talent though. Boston especially. Give most head coaches that roster and they are a high lottery team.

Lots of teams have young talent but not a lot of them make playoff pushes like Boston.

I don't think Gentry is a bust pick but I do think I still prefer Thibs or JVG.
    The Bucks without a doubt are absolutely stacked. In 3 years I could see them making a serious push. And they did with they did this year with Parker injured.

After the two trades I think the Celtics are solid enough to have done what they did. They had a good core of guys and adding Crowder and Thomas was a big improvement.

The "playoff pushes" is really irrelevant anyway. Neither team was over .500 and yet they both were not only in Playoffs but 6&7th seeds. That's like giving my dog a cookie because she only craps in the house half the time.

Hey even Monty had an 11 game improvement this year and knocked the Thunder out of the playoffs. If just record was important he wouldn't have been fired.

Not that I'm against JVG or Thibs but hasn't Gentry made it just as far as either of them and with a worse team? Honestly, I don't think we can strike out with our hire whoever it is.

Thread Information