Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gentry has 2nd interview with Pels

Gentry has 2nd interview with Pels

Just saw an alert on my phone that Fletcher Mackel saw or heard Gentry was in Nola to meet with the Pelicans. Must be pretty interested if he came all the way out here to interview again before they start the series. Not my favorite choice but I don't hate it. I think he is an upgrade from Monty being a better fit and will bring a much more exciting system to watch.

Please... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    I once had some of the worst grits and drippings in the Queen City

I wish I lived in a world where we could swing co-head coaches. JVG and Alvin Gentry would be an INCREDIBLE tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Horn-et View Post
    Please... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Haha like I said not my first choice but if he is the guy I will accept it and support the move. He hasn't had the best career but he also had some pretty terrible teams to work with. He has been a great assistant and when he did have some talent for once he took them pretty far. As long as I feel we are upgrading from Monty I can live with it and I think he is.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Just saw an alert on my phone that Fletcher Mackel saw or heard Gentry was in Nola to meet with the Pelicans. Must be pretty interested if he came all the way out here to interview again before they start the series. Not my favorite choice but I don't hate it. I think he is an upgrade from Monty being a better fit and will bring a much more exciting system to watch.
    This is his 2nd interview. This is the precursor to pick either he or JVG . If an announcement is made before the w's-Cavs, it will be JVG ! If we hear crickets until after the series ends, it's Gentry !

I see two ways. 1) Dell is legitimately interested in Gentry. 2) Dell wants to put as much pressure on the Bulls as possible.

We heard if Hoidberg falls through that Gentry was the 2nd option. Isn't this interesting that it was a Nola reporter who leaked this? Hmmm. If the Bulls have any doubts about getting Hoidberg maybe this is Dell's ploy to force their hand and make a run at Gentry.

Honestly, either way I'm ok with it. Especially with a strong defensive assistant.

oh well if his hired, atleast i was right

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I see two ways. 1) Dell is legitimately interested in Gentry. 2) Dell wants to put as much pressure on the Bulls as possible.

We heard if Hoidberg falls through that Gentry was the 2nd option. Isn't this interesting that it was a Nola reporter who leaked this? Hmmm. If the Bulls have any doubts about getting Hoidberg maybe this is Dell's ploy to force their hand and make a run at Gentry.

Honestly, either way I'm ok with it. Especially with a strong defensive assistant.
    I think it got leaked because someone saw him. It very well could be to put pressure on the Bulls. I feel the same way if we can get a good defensive coach and staff then I'll be fine with it. Won't be the splashiest higher but could be a good one and a good fit.

I just don't see Dell hiring a coach with no NBA experience when his job is on the line. I know Hoiberg and Atkinson and all these other guys may be the next great coach in the NBA, but would you hire a rookie HC if you ha d1 year to prove yourself?

I think its out of Gentry and JVG.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I just don't see Dell hiring a coach with no NBA experience when his job is on the line. I know Hoiberg and Atkinson and all these other guys may be the next great coach in the NBA, but would you hire a rookie HC if you ha d1 year to prove yourself?

Both head coaches in the finals are rookies. Why hire a coach with a losing record? It's proven that Gentry wouldn't be the next great coach.

Why the Gentry hate? Just curious.

To me he seems like a perfect fit here. His offense built on space would work perfectly with EG and QPon.

His Suns team turned D'antoni's vision into an actual working model in the NBA.

He did wonders with Amare Stoudemire who was a tenth of what Anthony Davis is currently.

When he was with the Clippers, they were the number one offense in the league.

He has had a huge part of crafting this current Golden State mothership preparing to probe Cleveland.

I don't think it would be the disaster everyone is making it out to be.

What indication is Dell's job on the line? The FO fired Monty and chose Dell to hire the next franchise Coach. I'd say his job is pretty secure at this time.

Face it. Dell is going to hire who he thinks the best coach is. No other agenda than that.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Both head coaches in the finals are rookies. Why hire a coach with a losing record? It's proven that Gentry wouldn't be the next great coach.
    You mean the rookie coach with the 4-time MVP? Or the rookie coach that took over a 50+ win team with the current MVP? I confuse the two...

Gentry gets a bad rap here. He did very really well in Phoenix until Amare left. He took them to the WCF and only two games away from the Finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

What indication is Dell's job on the line? The FO fired Monty and chose Dell to hire the next franchise Coach. I'd say his job is pretty secure at this time.

Face it. Dell is going to hire who he thinks the best coach is. No other agenda than that.
    Just my opinion. He doesn't have a new contract yet, so until he gets a new deal I wouldn't say its very secure.

You mean the rookie coach with the 4-time MVP? Or the rookie coach that took over a 50+ win team with the current MVP? I confuse the two...
    Yes, the rookie coach with Anthony Davis.

Just my opinion. He doesn't have a new contract yet, so until he gets a new deal I wouldn't say its very secure.
    It wasn't announced doesn't mean they didn't pick up the option or extend him. But yeah, let's let the GM we are about to fire lead the coaching hunt for the guy we were going to let lead AD for years to come.

Gentry has 2nd interview with Pels

Doesn't get me excited
    Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 05-29-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    How old is Gentry ??? Add ten plus years on to that which is ADs career how old will Gentry be ???? How can you get excited about that , I can't sorry .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we don't have a winning culture it won't matter how long ADs career is because he won't stay. If Gentry can give us 6-8 great years and maybe win a title and AD stays until he retires Gentry will be more than worth it.

Interesting Alvin Gentry interview today on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015...s-alvin-gentry

It wasn't announced doesn't mean they didn't pick up the option or extend him. But yeah, let's let the GM we are about to fire lead the coaching hunt for the guy we were going to let lead AD for years to come.
    Yea I definitely agree. If Dell was in anyway on the hot seat he would have been gone with Monty and Loomis would have cleaned house. I think we could miss the playoffs next year and he will still be back. He will get the chance to get his coach and build a winning team. It will need to be quick and missing the playoffs definitely won't be good but he will have atleast 2 years.

Interesting piece on Gentry from an Arizona writer:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...enix/28120541/

Correct me i'm wrong but does the second interview in sports usually mean you get offered the job?

How credible is Fletcher Mackel?

Let Dell get his guy. If we fall off next year, clean house and hope it doesn't sour AD on Nola and leaves.

Oh the pressure!

Thread Information