Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is your top candidate now?

Who is your top candidate now?

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Much to the dismay of many Froiberg (Hoiberg) is going to replace Tom Tibs (according to every website that has a basketball writer), which means there is little chance he will be willing to coach here in New Orleans as well.

Since many were Hoiberg Hopefulls, who is your top guy now? I know that the fine writers at BSS's are going through the bracket system, but between now and when that is complete many things can and will change.

Right now I am a fan of bringing in Ettore Messina. He isn't the established JVG or Tibs, and he isn't the prized assistant like Gentry or Atkinson, but something tells me he will be the first international coach to pave the way for others to come to the NBA and really showcase how great the talent pool is outside of the USA (in terms of front office people). Also, his style of ball would seem to be arousing to both the players and fans here. It would make us one of the more enjoyable offenses to watch.

Where is your head at? Who do you want coaching here next year (if Hoiberg takes the Bulls job)?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I want JVG and an offensive assistant HC. Let's win 50+.
    Wherehappens.

Keep hope alive!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Since JVG became a legitimate option I think he's been my #1. Hoiberg and Miller are right up there with him.

JVG and he hires D'antoni to do the offense BOOM ha

until woj reports it, everything is still smoke and mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Thibs or Van Gundy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as the last thread with the top 7. Hoiberg then Atkinson

My top choice is now and always has been the guy with the best winning pct. in major college basketball that is still active. His name is Mark Few. He has won 80% of his games with average at best talent. With AD and NBA quality players he would win 60 games every year. Second choice, JVG.

I actually wouldn't mind Few here. I guess he isn't brought up because he comes across as a CBB lifer. Some guys don't ever want to move on from where they are, and Few is as much of an institution at Gonzaga as Izzo and Coach K are at their respective schools.

If he were maybe linked to more NBA jobs that would get me off of that opinion.

JVG with a offensive assistant or Gentry with Ron Adams as assistant.

1-6

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    I thought I'd never say it, but COME ON DOWN JVG!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I actually wouldn't mind Few here. I guess he isn't brought up because he comes across as a CBB lifer. Some guys don't ever want to move on from where they are, and Few is as much of an institution at Gonzaga as Izzo and Coach K are at their respective schools.

Likewise, I too doubt that he would be interested, but I keep telling myself, if I'm him, I'm thinking these guys have AD and a few other good pieces. I have a chance to be the best in both college and pros. If I'm Dell, I have to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

My thing about Few is that he has zero NBA experience at all. I'm more comfortable with a coach who has at least played in the NBA. That's tough to believe the transition would work.

Basketball is still basketball, and the hoop is still 10 ft high. While Few might not have NBA experience, Izzo and Coach K don't either, but given those two as options most of us would jump at the chance to hire them. His experience in the NBA is of little concern to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    My thing about Few is that he has zero NBA experience at all. I'm more comfortable with a coach who has at least played in the NBA. That's tough to believe the transition would work.
    Granted, but how can he not even be a candidate? Besides, he would hire staff to offset any shortcomings. That 80 win % is hard for me to overlook, considering the talent level he does it with.

I think the biggest splash with casual and "in the know" fans right now would be JVG. Is he the best option for the team? That's for the front office to decide, but he is a name brand, has been successful and hasn't shown interested in any and every other job out there like many retreads have. He's the John Gruden of the NBA. The guy people know will be back coaching, but only under the right circumstances.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I'd be excited about JVG or Ollie. JVG, I think, is the smartest move for the franchise because it's the coach that would excite the fanbase.

The Franchise
    I'm partial to a younger head coach so my vote is Miller. He seems a good defensive coach and adequate offensive coach. I hope he would surround himself with a few veteran coaches and actually heed some of their advice.

JVG and TT, I believe would both be good defensive coaches but could they actually run an uptempo offense? I don't think so.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 05-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Still Thibs or JVG. Hoiberg looks to be out(never really thought he was a possibility given the wink nudge with the Bulls organization).

I like Mike Malone. But nothing indicates to me he is on our radar.

I have somewhat warmed up to Gentry but I still have some questions.

Atkinson. Should be able elevate JH and Reke game.

I will admit to not knowing enough to make a passionate plea for any particular coach, but this is my gut:

1) JVG - I believe that he brings the plusses of Thibodeau without the relationship baggage. He would be a huge hire, and think his connections can bring in a good assistant staff.
    2) Sean Miller - With Hoiberg not being an option, I would still like to see an up-tempo guy come in and try to use our young, athletic lineup to our advantage.
    3) Ettore Messina - Don't know much about him, but what I have heard has me intrigued.

Would love to know more about Atkinson and wouldn't be upset with him as the hire.

Who of the remaining candidates would be a solid recruiter in that Pat Riley role? He doesn't have to do Del's job, but what coach could work with AD in recruiting guys to come here? Monty used to say that he would have players come to him at the end of games saying, "Don't forget about me in the offseason." So who (of the remaining candidates)'is most likely to hear ,"Dint forget about me in the offseason?" That's a big selling point to me (almost as big as the staff he can assemble), as you need more than a great player in order to make another great player come play for you.

Why is Hoidberg off the table? Because of JVGs comments? I think anything he says needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Pretending Hoid to Bulls is a done deal just makes his chances increase.

As far as my top candidate, I couldn't possibly make an education decision on who to choose. I leave it up to Dell.

People that I like from what I've read however are JVG and Sean Miller. Also MM giving the info on Atkinson makes me like him quite a bit.

1. Hoiberg
    2 a. JVG
    2 b. Atkinson
    2 c. Messina
    5. Gentry
    6. Malone

Staff could be the tie breaker for me, and even bump Gentry up
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information