Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tom Thibodeau rumored no interest in Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...artner=ya5nbcs This is JUST SILLY to begin with ! This article is a circle of NO NEWS from Thibodoe camp!
    It does bring up a good point,

Anthony Davis is under contract next season, and because he’ll be a restricted free agent after that, he can’t unilaterally leave New Orleans until 2017 at the earliest.

Likely, he’ll be with the Pelicans through 2021.

They’re going to offer him a max contract extension, and for him to make a higher salary under the Derrick Rose Rule, the extension must be for five years. He’d have to give up a lot of money to leave before 2021 and an outrageous amount to leave in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    That's been non-news for a while. What would be news is if he turned down the extension. No one with a brain believes that he would.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    TIbuhDoe camp feeding fodder to everyone as to why he doesnt want the N.O. job. Davis will sign this summer for 5-140 (& that contract will start immediately), so there is no way that AD stays on his $5 mil ROOK deal,while losing over 20 mil a yr. for the next 2 years!

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    He's entitled to his opinion if he said it.

Come on down, JVG.
    Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    One of the reasons Bulls got tired of Thibs is all the leaks/spin from his camp for the purpose of benefiting Thibs...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    He's entitled to his opinion if he said it.

Come on down, JVG.
    Just because he said it, doesnt make it his opinion. & I second the motion--JVG !

Let's be honest with ourselves, this reporter and his source aren't the only ones thinking AD will bolt once his contract is through. We all think that (even if we don't have a website to broadcast it through...which we do have because this is pelicansreport.com). If you aren't thinking AD will bolt if this ship doesn't get set strait for a few championships, your kidding yourself. That is our only means of keeping AD (winning a title, or at least coming very close). Tib, JVG, etc, whoever takes this job will have to make a Finals appearance before AD's contract is up or he (and probably the coach) are gone.

These have been your Miller Genuine Draft Cold hard fact.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    No fully functioning human adult believes AD will turn down a 5 year max deal
    I'm just going to go ahead and quote myself on this one. And I will hope to god this doesn't have to be explained.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Let's be honest with ourselves, this reporter and his source aren't the only ones thinking AD will bolt once his contract is through. We all think that (even if we don't have a website to broadcast it through...which we do have because this is pelicansreport.com). If you aren't thinking AD will bolt if this ship doesn't get set strait for a few championships, your kidding yourself. That is our only means of keeping AD (winning a title, or at least coming very close). Tib, JVG, etc, whoever takes this job will have to make a Finals appearance before AD's contract is up or he (and probably the coach) are gone.

These have been your Miller Genuine Draft Cold hard fact.
    You're talking about five years! Of course, he might leave in five years. As a fan, I do worry about that a little. But you know what? That's a long time from now. If we can't be a championship contender in the next five years, I wouldn't blame AD for leaving! For Thibodeau to say that as a potential coach shows zero confidence in his ability to build a winner here. If Thibodeau or his camp really did say that, I wouldn't want him here.

Easy.

If Thibs interviews with the Pelicans then there was not much to this rumor.

If Thibs doesn't interview with the Pelicans then it is true.

What I do not understand is why would someone make such a negative statement about the future of the team who is trying to employ you to prevent that from happening?

If what he said is true then there is another agenda. I am not sure what it is. Maybe he just does not like New Orleans. He stood the Pels up once before. Maybe he wants a shot at a bigger market team so he is using this BS excuse to bide his time until a job opens up? I know the possibility of AD leaving could happen but it seems like Tibby is worrying about something that has not happened.

If it is true they (Pelicans) need to move on quickly and make a hire. I think JVG is the best choice for more reasons than one.

I'm just going to go ahead and quote myself on this one. And I will hope to god this doesn't have to be explained.
    Is that your final answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochican View Post
    Easy.

If Thibs interviews with the Pelicans then there was not much to this rumor.

If Thibs doesn't interview with the Pelicans then it is true.

What I do not understand is why would someone make such a negative statement about the future of the team who is trying to employ you to prevent that from happening?

If what he said is true then there is another agenda. I am not sure what it is. Maybe he just does not like New Orleans. He stood the Pels up once before. Maybe he wants a shot at a bigger market team so he is using this BS excuse to bide his time until a job opens up? I know the possibility of AD leaving could happen but it seems like Tibby is worrying about something that has not happened.

If it is true they (Pelicans) need to move on quickly and make a hire. I think JVG is the best choice for more reasons than one.
    Your third sentence nullifies all other parts of the equation. We were NOT interested in Tibuhdoe, thus the rancor from his side.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    I would be done with the sport. Not going to continue to watch if we are going to be the farm system for the large markets.
    Me too LP

Your third sentence nullifies all other parts of the equation. We were NOT interested in Tibuhdoe, thus the rancor from his side.
    Actually it doesn't. It is only fair to base the Pelicans interest in Tibby based on media reports in conjunction with media reports saying Tibby is not interested.

Sure, the Pelicans may not be interested but based on media reports he was their "top candidate" for a while.

All of this is based on media reports because that is all we have to go on.

Maybe Thibs is more interested in payback vs Bulls FO by not getting another gig for a year or two and make them pay him the 9 mil to do nothing. He is preemptively shutting down opportunities and wants a flimsy excuse.

Plus, consider that to generate tweets and "articles" like this, all that has to happen is a reporter asking, "why not NOLA, they got AD" And he says, "But for how long?"

If there is indeed offset language in his contract, his people may be prepping for a legal battle with the Bulls over the remaining money in his contract. Basically, the Bulls may argue he had many opportunities for a job and they shouldn't have to pay him the full amount. Not saying they would win, but in that scenario, it wouldn't hurt to have built in excuses or to turn teams away before even making a legit overture.

If there is indeed offset language in his contract, his people may be prepping for a legal battle with the Bulls over the remaining money in his contract. Basically, the Bulls may argue he had many opportunities for a job and they shouldn't have to pay him the full amount. Not saying they would win, but in that scenario, it wouldn't hurt to have built in excuses or to turn teams away before even making a legit overture.
    If that were the case, it would be to his benefit to make it appear the teams weren't interested in him, than the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    If that were the case, it would be to his benefit to make it appear the teams weren't interested in him, than the other way around.
    Agreed, just throwing out ideas. Could be a reason to argue why he didn't take the job and also an attempt to stop even an interview request. Because otherwise it makes very little sense to release something like this, and zero sense to actually believe it. Though I agree with MM, he could be trying to save face if we don't actually want him. But that would make me seriously question Dell Demps if you don't seriously pursue a coach of his stature.

It's already been mentioned on this thread. It's certainly possible that Thibodeau just doesn't want to compete with JVG for the same job. Of course, that doesn't explain the need to take a shot at our likelihood to keep Anthony Davis.

I'm still not sure why anyone is believing Peter Vecsey?

I can 100% believe that Thibs may sit out or wait for the Lakers or another high profile job but, seriously, read the guys history. He is a buffoon. A tabloid sports journalist that has a history of being wrong more then he is right and some serious ego and personality issues.

No way anyone of importance is leaking to this guy over a more credible source.

Peter Vescey is historically a fool. So he "heard" through someone (not Thibs) that he doesn't want to coach Pels because Davis will leave (which isn't happening anytime soon). Thibs may not coach the Pels, but this is a ridiculous statement from Vescey.

I can buy the fact Thibs doesn't want to get involved if JVG wants the job. It was a bad idea to even talk with the blow hard Van Gundy.

TIbuhDoe camp feeding fodder to everyone as to why he doesnt want the N.O. job. Davis will sign this summer for 5-140 (& that contract will start immediately), so there is no way that AD stays on his $5 mil ROOK deal,while losing over 20 mil a yr. for the next 2 years!
    Just to clarify, ADs new contract won't start until his rookie deal is up no matter when he signs it.

Reason why I asked that question is because I was wondering if you guys would hate AD like some people do with Chris Paul
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Is this even worth replying too? I mean come on now and by the way no NBA player has ever turned down a max deal. I don't see AD being the first.
    Last edited by stormcenter; 05-29-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Wouldn't hate AD...It would be more like indifference as I'd probably take up baseball as my second favorite sport. Whatever happens down the line after the extension i can deal with. Would not be able to tolerate a bail out this early.

Thread Information