Pelicans Report

Thread: Interviewed Vinny Del negro?

Interviewed Vinny Del negro?

Are we interviewing the whole coaching pool

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...medium=twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

They called me to see if I was interested, but I told them no. I told them to call you, I guess they just haven't got to your name yet.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Are we interviewing the whole coaching pool

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...medium=twitter

Seems like it. I say why not? Can't hurt

He would make a good assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    They called me to see if I was interested, but I told them no. I told them to call you, I guess they just haven't got to your name yet.
    I do have a missed call from an unknown number

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    I do have a missed call from an unknown number

It's either them or somebody from The Orlando Magic/Amway.

Might as well interview Reggie Theus while we are at it

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Who knows maybe they interviewed Johnny Jones and Buzz Williams too. Maybe even Tim Floyd for hat trick! ��

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Might as well interview Reggie Theus while we are at it
    I think Mike Brown is due a call.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    just a crazy thought.... would a lead assistants job, say on a Van Gundy staff, intrigue a Del Nego at all?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    just a crazy thought.... would a lead assistants job, say on a Van Gundy staff, intrigue a Del Nego at all?
    what else is he doing these days...

I understand due diligence but are we just interviewing guys now so that we have a barometer of what not to hire? Because that is the only conclusion I can draw for interviewing Del Negro.

I read it as one more agent floating rumors to keep his client relevant.

*Waits for "League Sources reports Pelicans has interviewed Jeff Bower" *
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    A GM with new power and a new coach on the horizon so its not unreasonable to think that there will be a few positions within the org that are availabe beyond the head coaching position. Right now Dell can get a meeting with anyone in the pro basketball world that needs a gig. Why not use this opportunity to improve the entire basketball ops department?
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 05-28-2015 at 11:44 PM.

I would straight up hate del negro! would be on a level with mark jackson for me! I think he did a really poor job when he was in LA, please dell, there are so many other options!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We are just doing due diligence guys. Would be shocked if this was the hire.

Anybody feel like giving specifics on what they hate so much about Del Negro? Non clichéd specifics please.

And when I told you guys Del had spoke to close to ten guys, who did you guys think he was talking to? Popovich? Phil? Coach K?

Relax and enjoy this. Be happy your GM has an open mind and is talking to everyone
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Anybody feel like giving specifics on what they hate so much about Del Negro? Non clichéd specifics please.

And when I told you guys Del had spoke to close to ten guys, who did you guys think he was talking to? Popovich? Phil? Coach K?

Relax and enjoy this. Be happy your GM has an open mind and is talking to everyone
    I definitely like that he's interviewing lots of people. If we had locked onto one or two candidates when we have this many to choose from, I'd be disappointed.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

We need a guy who can at least get maximum effort and results out of the current squad. Vinny Del Negro by all accounts is another laid back, player developer, players coach. We have too many 1 dimensional players to get max results from this type of coach. We need a coach whose reputation proceeds him in a good way. A tactician not a manager, who the players know can bring them success if they buy in. Of course the synergy between Dell and him has to be there, but that doesnt mean Dell should be slummin it with a guy whose reputation has been so damaged like Del Negro. Vinny may ultimately end up being a great coach, but this job at this junction should not be the beginning of his coaching reclamation. Too much is riding on this to take a chance on guy who gives the appeareance of being a little weak where it counts. He sounds like he might make a great fit as part of Dells basketball ops team, but I cannot see how hes a great fit for AD and this roster over the next 4 years or so.

Im not even sure you can call Del Negro a developer of talent. Every time he has been replaced it has been to the teams benefit when it comes to talent growth.

The guy ran an iso heavy offensive system that failed to properly utilize his talent. The offense was basically give the ball to CP3 and let him run an iso play or give it to griffin on the block. Because you have CP3 that can work, but it can be better and isn't that what we are firing Monty for? Not because he was awful but because we can do better?

Defensively, like there offense, they ranked good because of the talent.

Rivers came in and made them a top offense and improved the defense. Much like Thibs did in Chicago when taking over for Del Negro.

For the people banging the pace drum you DO NOT WANT Del Negro. Just take a gander at his rankings. For a guy coaching Griffin, Jordan and Paul to rank 25th is ridiculous. Not to mention the lack of transition offense.

For those talking about overworking players. A common knock around here on Thibs. Del Negro was the guy the VP of Basketball operations in Chicago choked because Del Negro supposedly overworked Noah to injury. I think that FO is garbage but it is true he has been criticized for riding his players. I think this is often an overstated critique but for those wanting the negatives, this can be one for some. In LA he was criticized for forcing Griffin to play that led to almost a possible bad injury.

Rotations, substitutions, in-game adjustments, coaching IQ are all average to below average IMO.

Thread Information