Pelicans Report

Thread: How Long???

Question How Long???

Honestly...how long do you think it'll be before the next breaking news on ESPN is "The Pelicans Hire Tibs"???

I'm saying within a week.

Id be ok with that. But based on the temp on Pelicansreport I'd be one of only a handful.

Still don't understand the love for JVG and the hate for Tibs.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Id be ok with that. But based on the temp on Pelicansreport I'd be one of only a handful.

Still don't understand the love for JVG and the hate for Tibs.
    You have to look past Thibs' record to understand...

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Honestly...how long do you think it'll be before the next breaking news on ESPN is "The Pelicans Hire Tibs"???

I'm saying within a week.
    I'm in favor of never
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    Implying I haven't?

I'm assuming you want JVG but not tibs. Can you elaborate on that? From my perspective they share an overwhelming amount of the same characteristics.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    You would have to look past his record, accomplishments, reputation, schemes, motivational skills, rotations, etc.

Aka, if you ignore his coaching abilities, he's fat.

Im just sick of watching slow ball from my team. Yes Defense is a key ingredient in chips, but i would like for our offense to become more "spicy"
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Come on down Thibs !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Implying I haven't?

I'm assuming you want JVG but not tibs. Can you elaborate on that? From my perspective they share an overwhelming amount of the same characteristics.
    You said you couldn't understand why. Most people against Thibs simply don't think he is a good fit. Is it wrong to have that opinion?

JVG nor Thibs is on my list if that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    You would have to look past his record, accomplishments, reputation, schemes, motivational skills, rotations, etc.

Aka, if you ignore his coaching abilities, he's fat.
    Go back and read the response again please.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Go back and read the response again please.
    I did......clearly right?

You said you couldn't understand why. Most people against Thibs simply don't think he is a good fit. Is it wrong to have that opinion?

JVG nor Thibs is on my list if that helps...
    No, I asked the people that have said they like JVG but not thibs(quite a large constituency if the voting thread is an indication) to explain to me why. As it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. As both are very, very similar coaches.

Since you seem to like neither the question doesnt apply to you.

No, I asked the people that have said they like JVG but not thibs(quite a large constituency if the voting thread is an indication) to explain to me why. As it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. As both are very, very similar coaches.

Since you seem to like neither the question doesnt apply to you.
    I'll try to answer the question based off reading the forum since Monty was fired. This is just my interpretation. Most people that prefer JVG over Thibs seem to think that Thibs' offense is too slow, he may want too much control, he is stubborn in making adjustments, or he overworks his players. It's usually one or more of those things. I could be wrong but that seems to be the sentiment.

I'll try to answer the question based off reading the forum since Monty was fired. This is just my interpretation. Most people that prefer JVG over Thibs seem to think that Thibs' offense is too slow, he may want too much control, he is stubborn in making adjustments, or he overworks his players. It's usually one or more of those things. I could be wrong but that seems to be the sentiment.
    All criticisms that apply to JVG and to a greater extent in many areas. Which is why the divide is baffling. JVG had worse offenses, slow paced, he is accused of stubbornness, known to be intense in practices and games. Also like Thibs, JVG was accused of running players into the ground in Houston(both of which I think is overstated). All of JVG's defenses - which he is most fondly remembered for - had Thibs as defensive assistant.

Was recently quoted on Lowe's podcast as saying that players minutes restrictions are bull.

I like JVG, I like Thibs. But that is because I like their positives more then their potential negatives and they rate higher to me then the alternatives I have seen.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Thibs probably on a plane as I type this headed down to NO to interview.

All criticisms that apply to JVG and to a greater extent in many areas. Which is why the divide is baffling. JVG had worse offenses, slow paced, he is accused of stubbornness, known to be intense in practices and games. Also like Thibs, JVG was accused of running players into the ground in Houston(both of which I think is overstated). All of JVG's defenses - which he is most fondly remembered for - had Thibs as defensive assistant.

Was recently quoted on Lowe's podcast as saying that players minutes restrictions are bull.

I like JVG, I like Thibs. But that is because I like their positives more then their potential negatives and they rate higher to me then the alternatives I have seen.
    You forgot one important piece, out of sight, out of mind... I think that may be the real answer to your question. That and maybe some have never actually seen JVG as a coach. It has been 8 years and the coverage then is not how it is now.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

You forgot one important piece, out of sight, out of mind... I think that may be the real answer to your question. That and maybe some have never actually seen JVG as a coach. It has been 8 years and the coverage then is not how it is now.
    I personally have my own suspicions but am not going to just assume.

I think there are differentiating characteristics but for me they aren't enough to shun one and closely embrace the other.

I'm saying "never". We'll see what happens

I personally have my own suspicions but am not going to just assume.

I think there are differentiating characteristics but for me they aren't enough to shun one and closely embrace the other.
    I agree. The information I passed along in the Thibs situation came from the beat writers and other local guys here that cover the Bulls. They are privy to much more than the fans are and report bits of conversations they've had with management and players. I really don't like repeating anything that the national media reports.

I know you weren't referring to me but Thibs was the only coach I knew I didn't want based off that information but I'll gladly take him if he is willing to learn from the experience with the Bulls and tweak a few things.

I don't get this same information from any other team so I can't really comment much on the other coaches.

But unfortunately, the out of sight out of mind concept usually appears when comparisons are being made. I try to stay away from that. Heck, I saw JVG coach and still don't really know his philosophies without reading the BSS articles...

Funny thing is they just said Thibs, Doc, and JVG have the old NBA mentality

Thread Information