Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Per ESPN, Scott Skiles now a candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I hope loomis has more power than demps ... Otherwise I don't see how I can passionately follow this team anymore with skiles
    jesus the overreactions on this board are insane

Quote Originally Posted by i am cow lolz View Post
    Meh, it's just a couple of posters. Granted, they're pretty far out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Still don't want Thibodeau. Maybe I'm being foolish, but he still makes me nervous. Would definitely prefer JVG over him.
    The one thing I don't get about this opinion, and by the poll in the other thread it seems widely held, is how people are rationalizing JVG but scared of Thibs.

• Thibs was responsible for all of JVG's defenses. His most prized notch on his coaching belt. What people remember JVG most for achieving(other then hanging on peoples legs)
    • People knock Thibs for bad offense but JVG NEVER finished past the top 15 in 8 or so years. Mostly finishing in the 20's. Thibs has been 11,11 and 5 in 3 of his 5 years.
    • People knock Thibs for his overexertion of players but that was one of JVG's biggest critiques in Houston. Thibs actually uses JVG as a justification for his methods.

Don't get me wrong, I love JVG, but most of the criticisms of one apply to the other. In some cases even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The one thing I don't get about this opinion, and by the poll in the other thread it seems widely held, is how people are rationalizing JVG but scared of Thibs.

• Thibs was responsible for all of JVG's defenses. His most prized notch on his coaching belt. What people remember JVG most for achieving(other then hanging on peoples legs)
    • People knock Thibs for bad offense but JVG NEVER finished past the top 15 in 8 or so years. Thibs has been 11,11 and 5 in 3 of his 5 years.
    • People knock Thibs for his over exertion of players but that was one of JVG's biggest critiques in Houston. Thibs actually uses JVG as a justification for his methods.

Don't get me wrong, I love JVG, but most of the criticisms of one apply to the other.
    For me, it's the unpredictability of how he'll get along with Demps. As much of a joke as the Chicago front office may be, the fact remains that the relationship got so bad that they ran out a successful coach. If I knew that he Thibodeau and Demps marriage would work, I'd be good.

EDIT: I'd also prefer to not deal with the Bulls. As long as they're pushing for compensation, I'd just assume leave Thibs be.
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 05-27-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Nobody really overreacting. More like surprised.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Good to see people understanding how spin, leverage, and leaks work. Looks like with every leak we get a bit wiser, bravo, ladies and gents!

We know the Pelicans have no reason to boost anybodys coaching stock, atm. Theyd be essentially bidding against themselves. When they want to make a hire, they will extend an offer and the chosen coach will accept.

Skiles is just getting a solid from Demps, since apparently theres some familiarity there. He wants more money from Orlando, obviously.

I cant not overreact, i liked Monty Williams as a person, and if we are gonna fire him after making the playoffs, and developing a strong connection with A.D for scott skiles, who i don't even think has had one good season in his many years of coaching.. Then i can overreact, like why would u even interview or consider him? I went from being optimistic to scared in one day.
    Seriously, the pelicans management have only done one good move within this franchise since the Cp3 era, and thats draft Davis..

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Good to see people understanding how spin, leverage, and leaks work. Looks like with every leak we get a bit wiser, bravo, ladies and gents!

We know the Pelicans have no reason to boost anybodys coaching stock, atm. Theyd be essentially bidding against themselves. When they want to make a hire, they will extend an offer and the chosen coach will accept.

Skiles is just getting a solid from Demps, since apparently theres some familiarity there. He wants more money from Orlando, obviously.
    Yea I agree no need to continue posting on this thread. Everybody back to the JVG thread.

I cant not overreact, i liked Monty Williams as a person, and if we are gonna fire him after making the playoffs, and developing a strong connection with A.D for scott skiles, who i don't even think has had one good season in his many years of coaching.. Then i can overreact, like why would u even interview or consider him? I went from being optimistic to scared in one day.
    Seriously, the pelicans management have only done one good move within this franchise since the Cp3 era, and thats draft Davis..
    This is a nola.com free forum. No more reading Jimmy Smith articles!

Anyname that gets mentioned you would swear the guy has already been hired. I'm happy to see Dell turning over every stone to find the best person for this job. I don't want Skiles but really who here is to say he is a terrible hire when the guy has obviously been hired a few times by people way smarter than us and again is most likely landing the Magic job wether people think they are stupid or not he has value. It's easy for us to hate him and say how terrible he is when nobody here has the first clue why he is. Like I said I don't like him and don't want him for reasons but the guy is obviously valued somewhat by people who know a lot.

Since he's obviously been interviewed. What does everyone think of Skiles as the next Pelicans head coach? Lol

Like I said a few days ago, Demps has talked to close to 10 guys. You want it this way - he is talking to everyone. The guys who want there name out there have put their names out their in the media. The ones who don't won't let their names be leaked. At least two leaks are being prevented, and there are probably more. I know of people we have talked to that I can not report, for instance.

So, please, relax and just continue to research possibilities and get to know all these candidates. This should be fun, not stressful. Hopefully we don't have another coaching search for 10-15 years.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Like I said a few days ago, Demps has talked to close to 10 guys. You want it this way - he is talking to everyone. The guys who want there name out there have put their names out their in the media. The ones who don't won't let their names be leaked. At least two leaks are being prevented, and there are probably more. I know of people we have talked to that I can not report, for instance.

So, please, relax and just continue to research possibilities and get to know all these candidates. This should be fun, not stressful. Hopefully we don't have another coaching search for 10-15 years.
    Sorry man but that's definitely a c-c-c-combo breaker if i've ever seen one

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Sorry man but that's definitely a c-c-c-combo breaker if i've ever seen one
    LMAO - 4 am typing for ya

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    O please, please no. I'd rather Monty.

blah blah blah

dell is a admirer of messina cause he was playing in italy, where messina was a coach
    dell was playing in orlando with vaughn, shaw - so he is long time admirer of them
    dell was playing in san antonio with avery - so he is long time admirer of him
    he was working in san antonio he knows many guys

they may write tons of such a stuff. they are just guessing. and they must write something.

and at the end of the day they will be surprised...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

"Dell has interviewed a lot of people" (for the No. 1 coaching job in the NBA to coach the best young player in the NBA).
    "Some guys have leaked that they've spoke to Dell, some haven't" (since we have only heard three (3) names and obviously they are talking to way more given how big a job this is).
    "I know a lot, but can't tell you guys anything."

Thanks for the inside access! Give me a break.

As for the topic, not really a fan of Skiles. I would much rather Gentry, JVG, or Thibs. I am thinking/hoping that this was a due diligence interview and Skiles leaked for leverage in Orlando, which is where I believe he ultimately ends up.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 05-28-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Dell has interviewed a lot of people (for the No. 1 coaching job in the NBA to coach the best young player in the NBA).
    Some guys have leaked that they've spoke to Dell, some haven't (since we have only heard three (3) names and obviously they are talking to way more given how big a job this is).
    "I know a lot, but can't tell you guys anything."

Thanks for the inside access. Give me a break.

As for the topic, not really a fan of Skiles. I would much rather Gentry, JVG, or Thibs. I am thinking/hoping that this was a due diligence interview and Skiles leaked for leverage in Orlando, which is where I believe he ultimately ends up.
    if youre looking for the best, why would u interview skiles

Due diligence.

Banned
    The first part of my post was paraphrasing what McNamara is spewing.

As for your question, I don't think you can make an accurate assessment of who is 'best' without actually speaking to the guys. You don't know the situations from the outside looking in. I have no problem with them interviewing anyone then can, but from the little bit of knowledge/perception that I've derived, I do not want Skiles. Due diligence is the name of the game with a decision this big.

Quote Originally Posted by jhow0036 View Post

And there's the real reason the news broke the other day. Skiles is trying to use an interview with us as leverage in contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

• People knock Thibs for bad offense but JVG NEVER finished past the top 15 in 8 or so years. Mostly finishing in the 20's. Thibs has been 11,11 and 5 in 3 of his 5 years.
    • People knock Thibs for his overexertion of players but that was one of JVG's biggest critiques in Houston. Thibs actually uses JVG as a justification for his methods.

Don't get me wrong, I love JVG, but most of the criticisms of one apply to the other. In some cases even worse.

This sounds an awful lot like Jon Gruden.
    - he is a qb guru...yet what qb has he groomed?
    - his offenses are great...but it's been his defenses that have won him games.
    - he is a Super Bowl winning coach...but he won it a decade prior to being shown the door...and he did it in the back of a defense that was already there.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information