Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JVG, now OFFICIAL candidate!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

JVG, now OFFICIAL candidate!

So, JVG is now Officially in the Delloomis Search Engine. No more Question marks needed !

Let's start here.

You are Dell Demps - What questions do you ask? What concerns do you have, and what would ease your mind if JVG said X? What things might he say that would raise red flags?

Take me through your interview process with Van Gundy if you were sitting in that room.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, JVG is now Officially in the Delloomis Search Engine. No more Question marks needed !
    Dont be surprised if NOLA jumps all over this SCOOP !

Hahaha, well since my name is in the title I guess I need to contribute something. Here is the report from Woj, all credit to DarkHornet for initially positing it in the other thread:

Sources: Pelicans interview Jeff Van Gundy for coaching vacancy

The New Orleans Pelicans’ coaching search is gathering momentum, a process that included a formal interview Tuesday with Jeff Van Gundy, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Van Gundy, one of the NBA’s top available coaches, and New Orleans officials met in the Bay Area to discuss the opening. The sides had spoken over the phone, but this was the first face-to-face meeting, league sources said.

Yes please! JVG is the guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Let's start here.

You are Dell Demps - What questions do you ask? What concerns do you have, and what would ease your mind if JVG said X? What things might he say that would raise red flags?

Take me through your interview process with Van Gundy if you were sitting in that room.
    We want to play at a faster pace than we have in the past would you be willing to adhere to that and bring in assistance to make that possible?

Would you be willing to take strictly just a coaching role?

How do you feel about the way this roster is currently constructed because I like this core and will you be able to work with it?

What is your offensive and Defensive philosophy?

How far do to you believe you can take this team and how can you improve from the previous year?

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Dont be surprised if NOLA jumps all over this SCOOP !
    They've got access, yo. It's what makes them legit. Or something.

Let's start here.

Off the top of my head, having never thought on this before:

1.) What direction and role do you see AD having going forward if you are the coach? How would you like to focus his growth and talent going forward?

2.)What sort of preliminary ideas do you have in terms of changing, retaining or tweeking the current offensive and defensive systems in place? Why are these better then alternatives and the current systems in place?

3.) Do you have a list of potential staff you are looking to bring on? Are you planning on trying to retain any of the current staff and if so who? Why?

4.) I would also ask about how his philosophies on coaching and the game in general have changed since his last time coaching in the league. It would help gauge whether the guy is the sort of coach that is stuck in his ways like Byron Scott or is adaptable like Pop. Or somewhere in between.

Basically I would want to know how he views our current roster, what ideas he has for improving this teams offensive and defensive output, and who he has in mind to bring on and the hows and whys behind everything.

I personally would not be trying to exert my will on him or tell him he has to play basketball a certain way. I would share my views and expect a solid answer but wouldn't be looking for him to be giving the answers I want to hear. If he wants to go fast paced let him explain why and defend it. If he wants a medium pace let him explain it. If he wants something else let him make the case.

I would be interviewing every candidate. Assessing their interview answers and other available information, categorizing and ranking them and determining the overall best fit.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-27-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Let's start here.

Jelly or jam?

Do you like dragons ?

Do you like cds And tapes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Let's start here.

The thing that would worry me is any apparent lack of attention to detail. And I'd be up front about how long he's been out of the game from a coaching respect and how he plans to combat that.

You've already given some candidates for a potential assistant coaching crew, but is there any chance we retain some folk?

And I really wonder if Hoiberg is giving us some serious thought. Like is he coming to the NBA at all?

...we get to go McDonalds
    Y'all realize the very first question Dell will ask is "How much say in personnel do you want?"

The best thing to do in this process would be to sit JVG & Dell down and walk them through a list of HornetGuru's trade proposals. See how they discuss the trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The thing that would worry me is any apparent lack of attention to detail. And I'd be up front about how long he's been out of the game from a coaching respect and how he plans to combat that.

You've already given some candidates for a potential assistant coaching crew, but is there any chance we retain some folk?

And I really wonder if Hoiberg is giving us some serious thought. Like is he coming to the NBA at all?
    Pure speculation but the newest Chicago rumors are it is only days until Thibs is let go. FO has told players he is gone and the news sees it as a foregone conclusion. The FO seemed to have completely dropped the whole spite angle entirely.

I wonder if the reason is because they too need to get on the hunt because Hoiberg isn't coming to the NBA or whether they have Hoiberg locked up and just want to end the relationship and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Y'all realize the very first question Dell will ask is "How much say in personnel do you want?"

The best thing to do in this process would be to sit JVG & Dell down and walk them through a list of HornetGuru's trade proposals. See how they discuss the trades.
    LOL

...we get to go McDonalds
    On the Bulls front -- I find it really hard to believe that the Bulls would blatantly do this to Thibs. The main reason is because of the $$$ they'd be on the hook for if he doesn't find another job this season. I'm not sure making the guy take a multi million dollar paid vacation for a year is going to hurt.

Let's start here.

Can you run this current team back to the playoffs or does it need to be tweaked?

What will you do to improve AD's game?

How should we build around AD?

What offensive guy will you bring in/system?

How can you connect with these young players?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Off the top of my head, having never thought on this before:

1.) What direction and role do you see AD having going forward if you are the coach? How would you like to focus his growth and talent going forward?

2.)What sort of preliminary ideas do you have in terms of changing, retaining or tweeking the current offensive and defensive systems in place? Why are these better then alternatives and the current systems in place?

3.) Do you have a list of potential staff you are looking to bring on? Are you planning on trying to retain any of the current staff and if so who? Why?

4.) I would also ask about how his philosophies on coaching and the game in general have changed since his last time coaching in the league. It would help gauge whether the guy is the sort of coach that is stuck in his ways like Byron Scott or is adaptable like Pop. Or somewhere in between.

Basically I would want to know how he views our current roster, what ideas he has for improving this teams offensive and defensive output, and who he has in mind to bring on and the hows and whys behind everything.

I personally would not be trying to exert my will on him or tell him he has to play basketball a certain way. I would share my views and expect a solid answer but wouldn't be looking for him to be giving the answers I want to hear. If he wants to go fast paced let him explain why and defend it. If he wants a medium pace let him explain it. If he wants something else let him make the case.

I would be interviewing every candidate. Assessing their interview answers and other available information, categorizing and ranking them and determining the overall best fit.
    Cool story bro!

Just a joke don't go all crazy again

If JVG is the hire then obviously Dell has addressed what he would like and in return for the responses he would like. Have no idea what ?s he would ask but I trust him enough to have covered everything. JVG will definitely be the funniest coach we could hire. Hoiberg is my 1st choice but JVG would have to be a close second. I think he instantly gives this fan base a lot to like and create some buzz around this team that no coach besides Cal would do.

Bulls mgmt and ownership often seems clueless and spiteful. Even then, I think they will realize that they can't win this one and will cut thibs free.

I have wanted JVG here since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fan View Post
    Bulls mgmt and ownership often seems clueless and spiteful. Even then, I think they will realize that they can't win this one and will cut thibs free.

I have wanted JVG here since day 1.
    I wonder if it's possible the Bulls keep Thibs. They have to know by now if he's not their guy and if they are really screwing him like this that is pretty low. I have ways liked JVG I just didn't really think it would be possible but I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Cool story bro!
    At least I'm trying to contribute. What are you doing with this post? Other then trolling?

No need to chase me around the forum. Just put me on ignore and move on if my opinions bother you so much.

At least I'm trying to contribute. What are you doing with this post? Other then trolling?

No need to chase me around the forum. Just put me on ignore and move on if my opinions bother you so much.
    Haha man you got some anger problems. I said joke and I believe you chased me multiple times. Don't think I once commented on any one of your post first other than this one.

Haha man you got some anger problems. I said joke and I believe you chased me multiple times. Don't think I once commented on any one of your post first other than this one.
    No anger, a legitimate question. What are you contributing by personally attacking me in one thread and then trolling me in another? like I said, if my opinions and presence bothers you so much, ignore me.

It seems like an easy fix for you.

No anger, a legitimate question. What are you contributing by personally attacking me in one thread and then trolling me in another? like I said, if my opinions and presence bothers you so much, ignore me.

Once again where was the personal attack? You love to sidestep anything that doesn't make you look good. Never once personally attacked you until after you made that statement and that I was a joke. Good one though haha.

Can you two lovers let it go or get a room?

I am interested in JVG being hired by the pelicans, not a petty lover's quarrel.

Once again where was the personal attack? You love to sidestep anything that doesn't make you look good. Never once personally attacked you until after you made that statement and that I was a joke. Good one though haha.
    What are you contributing by personally attacking me in one thread(already quoted it for you) and then trolling me in another? like I said, if my opinions and presence bothers you so much, ignore me.

Thread Information