Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JVG, now OFFICIAL candidate!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Can you two lovers let it go or get a room?

I am interested in JVG being hired by the pelicans, not a petty lover's quarrel.
    To angry and insecure to be my type haha. I'm done no more responses from me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I wonder if it's possible the Bulls keep Thibs. They have to know by now if he's not their guy and if they are really screwing him like this that is pretty low. I have ways liked JVG I just didn't really think it would be possible but I hope I'm wrong.
    Just pure speculation on my part, but I would guess the Bulls have expressed interest in Hoiberg and are just waiting to see if he's willing to leave college basketball before firing Thibs. If he turns down the Bulls job to stay at Iowa State, do the Bulls have any other options that are better than Thibs?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Just pure speculation on my part, but I would guess the Bulls have expressed interest in Hoiberg and are just waiting to see if he's willing to leave college basketball before firing Thibs. If he turns down the Bulls job to stay at Iowa State, do the Bulls have any other options that are better than Thibs?
    I think there was rumors that Gentry would be a candidate. I asked the question before but didn't get an answer. Can a team talk with other coaches or have any contact about the job while someone else is under contract? I would think that wouldn't be allowed but I don't know.

Officially team must be granted permission from his current team. When person is under contract.
    Unofficially You may call anyone or anyone's agent.

It is like now. Do you think that GM's are not calling agents or their clients? And waiting for 1st or 4th July to knock on a door? Don't think soe.

Bulls are still hoping that someone will take Thibs contract, so that they won't have to pay him. Bulls probably realized that they will not receive the draft pick. It is now up to Hoiberg. He may or not be on the top of our list. Maybe he have a time to think/is undecided.
    Maybe Dell is sending messages to the media about JVG and Gentry to quicken his decision.

Dell is very smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Let's start here.

You are Dell Demps - What questions do you ask? What concerns do you have, and what would ease your mind if JVG said X? What things might he say that would raise red flags?

Take me through your interview process with Van Gundy if you were sitting in that room.
    From a fan POV, in no order

1. As constructed how do you get this team from below average D to slightly above average D rating
    2. As constructed how you plan to beat GSW in a 7 game series(healthy)? Loaded question here.
    3. For all our FA/RFA on the team, who are keeper(s)?
    4. What kind of player you foresee AD come in 5yrs and how you help him to get there?
    5. What is team lag(personal) to becoming a perennial playoff team?
    6. What is team lag(X and O) to becoming a perennial playoff team?
    7. Salary? Benefit?
    8. Assistants?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Just talk basketball, specifically regarding the team.

I'd say: What would you do to bring this city a championship?

This would lead to a lot of open ended discussion. I think it's important to delve in to his thinking process, not just ask closed ended questions.
    (although there are some that we KNOW will be asked)

Such as:

What responsibilities do you envision having?
    What number are you thinking of in regards to salary?
    What changes to roster do you think would help you?

and the all important......

Boxers or briefs?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Haha man you got some anger problems. I said joke and I believe you chased me multiple times. Don't think I once commented on any one of your post first other than this one.
    Cool story bro!
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If we had JVG in for an interview I would ask him," Knowing our teams injury history, and your history with teams dealing with injuries at the wrong time, how would you overcome (what to you) is common place, and get us back to the playoffs?"

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we had JVG in for an interview I would ask him," Knowing our teams injury history, and your history with teams dealing with injuries at the wrong time, how would you overcome (what to you) is common place, and get us back to the playoffs?"
    JVG talked about injuries and stuff on a podcast with Zach Lowe. Pretty much saying he thought players might be treated too carefully nowadays

So if they are treated to carefully nowadays, will he bring it back to where it used to be? Could we be looking at more injuries?

So if they are treated to carefully nowadays, will he bring it back to where it used to be? Could we be looking at more injuries?
    It was more of him not being convinced that players are getting injured because of fatigue with him listing examples of teams that are resting starters very heavily but still they keep getting injured

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    It was more of him not being convinced that players are getting injured because of fatigue with him listing examples of teams that are resting starters very heavily but still they keep getting injured
    I would be interested in seeing an analytical breakdown of injuries in the 80's 70's and 90's and compare them to the modern era of the 00's and 10's.

It seems like injuries are much more common today and I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I would be interested in seeing an analytical breakdown of injuries in the 80's 70's and 90's and compare them to the modern era of the 00's and 10's.

I would assume that the tempo of the game has a lot to do with it. When you watch old footage of games from that era players used to to take a lot more possessions off than they are allowed to take nowadays

One theory I have heard is the shoes have a lot more grip than in the past, it put a lot more pressure on the leg.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    One theory I have heard is the shoes have a lot more grip than in the past, it put a lot more pressure on the leg.
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Are you serious?
    Yes, I read it somewhere. What's wrong? I thought is make sense.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    Yes, I read it somewhere. What's wrong? I thought is make sense.
    Sorry wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything was seriously asking because I just haven't heard that.

I mean I don't have any answers(or even know if it is true or not) but shoe grip? Heck, why not. Maybe it is a contributing factor.

I suspected that the less physical nature of the game, much like with football, leads to more risk taking with their bodies. That and the shift to a smaller player league that focuses on attacking the paint. Not sure. Not sure its even true, it just seems like injuries are worse now then ten, twenty years ago.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Officially team must be granted permission from his current team. When person is under contract.
    Unofficially You may call anyone or anyone's agent.

It is like now. Do you think that GM's are not calling agents or their clients? And waiting for 1st or 4th July to knock on a door? Don't think soe.

Bulls are still hoping that someone will take Thibs contract, so that they won't have to pay him. Bulls probably realized that they will not receive the draft pick. It is now up to Hoiberg. He may or not be on the top of our list. Maybe he have a time to think/is undecided.
    Maybe Dell is sending messages to the media about JVG and Gentry to quicken his decision.

Dell is very smart guy.
    How bout now?
    Wherehappens.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Guys, we don't even know if there are indeed more injuries today than before. Another aspect is whether or not we're just more diligent with injuries (could be we're less diligent as well).

I would probably ask him some more questions about youth basketball:

NSFW: language warning

...we get to go McDonalds
    I read that chapter of the book and had the same exact thought -- is this guy really taking credit for a girls basketball title because of pressing?

I would probably ask him some more questions about youth basketball:

NSFW: language warning

Haha this is great!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I just realized that since I have personally written off Hoiberg as a serious possibility, I find myself in agreement with Jimmy Smith on the hire.....that feels a little strange in its own right, but in my mind, much of it will come down to the strength of staff .....and I don't feel any of the other suitors can compete with Van Gundy when it comes to this aspect....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    Jeff... Will you double as AD's body guard?

Thread Information