Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A List of Van Gundy's Potential Assistants, if Hired

A List of Van Gundy's Potential Assistants, if Hired

This was a common question I was getting, so I put this piece together. Who do you like?

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/?p=49818
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise    Contributor   

interesting, how about a list of potential Gentry assistants?

Honestly If we get JVG as our head coach, id trust any staff he'd assemble, with his experience and fame, he should get top assistants lining up.
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Wow, he can really get whomever he wants. I can only imagine some of the players' reactions if we got T-Mac. They probably grew up watching him as one of their favorite players.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    Wow, he can really get whomever he wants. I can only imagine some of the players' reactions if we got T-Mac. They probably grew up watching him as one of their favorite players.
    He was for sure one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    Tmac said some things about new orleans in the past though.

No offensive minded assistance?

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyinthe504 View Post
    TMac wouldn't coach here. He was afraid to come here for a couple of days for the All Star game. No way he'd be willing to live here full time.

I know everyone's not from NOLA, but I'm born and raised and live here all my life. Anyone trashes my city the way he did, I say screw him.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    TMac wouldn't coach here. He was afraid to come here for a couple of days for the All Star game. No way he'd be willing to live here full time.

I know everyone's not from NOLA, but I'm born and raised and live here all my life. Anyone trashes my city the way he did, I say screw him.
    You have to understand the context of the situation though. He had just been at the 2007 Las Vegas all-star weekend and didn't feel safe. Then, he was told about how the next one would be in New Orleans, and he was worried about whether or not it would be safe. Keep in mind that he said this only a year and a half after Katrina, when the city wasn't the way it is today. I think if he came down here today, he would see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyinthe504 View Post
    Lol
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post

Same here lol but I can understand why TMac or some others would feel unsettled in NOLA. New Orleans is not for everyone lol

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    really seems like this is gaining steam

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This was a common question I was getting, so I put this piece together. Who do you like?

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/?p=49818
    That's a really legit list. However, the lack of attainable, established, purely offensive guys seems a bit glaring.

No one is telling TMac to live in Little Woods. Go to work, go to games, stick to the areas with a lot of people, and he'll be fine.

More to the point, why do we want TMac as an assistant? What qualifications does he have? He was a phenomenal athlete/scorer, but never considered a "coach on the floor" type or anything. I'd much rather Ewing, who at least has years of experience on the bench.

Cooper would work well. I could see the fit with his floor spacing principles.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    More to the point, why do we want TMac as an assistant? What qualifications does he have? He was a phenomenal athlete/scorer, but never considered a "coach on the floor" type or anything. I'd much rather Ewing, who at least has years of experience on the bench.
    I don't want him per se. We're just speculating that Van Gundy might.

Could he bring in Tibs as an assistant? (J/k, while I know there is history there, I doubt Tibs would forgo the money Chicago would be paying him)
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think people worry about the offense/defense thing a little too much. This isn't football where you have coordinators. Everybody who has ever played basketball has played both ends, learned both ends, and therefore coached both ends. Any good coach has a TON of knowledge on both ends of the court

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think people worry about the offense/defense thing a little too much. This isn't football where you have coordinators. Everybody who has ever played basketball has played both ends, learned both ends, and therefore coached both ends. Any good coach has a TON of knowledge on both ends of the court
    And any great coach can communicate that knowledge to their players in a way clear enough for said players not to muck it up on both ends.

With that said, someone bring me Jerry Sloan!

JVG on Dan Patrick show:

Yyyyeah. That was telling in how much was not said deliberately.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Can't say that Dan didn't try.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    That was a VERY long pause by Van Gundy.

JVG wants it bad. I was told that two days after Monry was fired, but it's up to Dell. I still think Dell would prefer offense. But if he goes defense I think JVG will be the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    JVG on Dan Patrick show:

Yyyyeah. That was telling in how much was not said deliberately.
    Dan Patrick: "... good luck with New Orle... er ... good luck with the rest of the postseason." Quite a slip there, huh?

Thread Information