Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davis and the 3 pt

Davis and the 3 pt

A few executives have dumped the term “stretch 4” altogether and replaced it with “playmaking 4” — a term I’m officially stealing right now. Shooting is nice, but it’s not enough anymore as defenses get smarter, faster, and more flexible working within the loosened rules. Spot-up guys have to be able to catch the ball, pump-fake a defender rushing out at them, drive into the lane, and make some sort of play. If they can’t manage that, a possession dies with them. “In a playoff series, you can figure out shooting,” Karl says. “You just cover Kyle Korver. All that cute stuff they ran for him all year long — they only get that once in a while now. The shooters who have playmaking ability — those are the guys that are really kicking ***.”
    Grantland - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.YRznupMz.dpuf

I'm sure you all heard of Davis mentioning his plans of working on his 3 pt shot this summer.

I think this is a no brainer. We all saw his first Olympic shot. We saw how he beat OKC.

It is rare that a guy of his size and age is already the guy on the team that I want on the FT line more than any other on the team..

He is already money from the 2.5 pt line....... if there was one.

When facing up, he is at his most dangerous spot due to his shooting ability and his ability to drive right on by other bigs.

His stroke is flawless. I have no doubt he will be dangerous from the arc in the near future

Doesn't that already make him a candidate for being what was called a "stretch 4". Or... a play-making 4

What this could mean:

Ryan Anderson being even more expendable

A center that lives in the paint on both ends

Coveting a wider range of SF's such as Thaddeus Young

Just curious

I think this article hits on a point that I have been wondering about for a while now.

The post season seems to shift the analytics a bit given that teams are able to gameplan for teams better. Like the article mentions with Green and the post. So i think there is a bit more growth still with analytics to better focus in on what exactly wins int eh playoffs. A lot of analytics seems built around the regular season and that is great to get you a high seed but we have seen now 3 years in a row the poster child of analytics, James Harden, see his game come crashing down to an extent because the whistles are swallowed, the fouls aren't given out like candy and teams can gameplan.

I think the obituary comment is a bit premature. If Allen and Conley had remained healthy we very possibly would of seen a Memphis/Houston conference finals given how Allen and Conley healthy(Conley still not fully) were giving the Warriors absolute fits and their style of ball completely neutralized the Warriors for two games in a row. A healthy CP3 Clippers squad likely beats the Rockets.

So health very well could of changed this entire article.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-26-2015 at 04:36 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Playmaking 4? Love it!

I would love to see Davis start taking 3s similiar to the way Bosh and Millsap have added to their game. Davis adding this to his game will be near impossible to stop. The crazy thing about him is he has so much room for improvement it's scary. He's only going to get stronger while developing and becoming more comfortable playing in the post. His handles should only get better from here on out making him look like a SF with the ball on the drive. His mid range game has just started to become consistent and I only see it getting better. Most of the greats don't have much more room for improvement and he has a lot.

Well everyone is always wanting to surround Davis with shooters, including myself, as opposed to thinking of him as someone who is a shooter.

Brook Lopez could do some damage in the paintif defenses were worried about Davis's 3 pt shot yet closing out on him like a snail cause they're worried about him taking it to the rack.

In all sincerity, I just want Thaddeus Young on the team and was looking for plausible reasoning. He can shoot the ball okay, he can guard SF's and PF's and he gets steals out the yin-yang.

Anyone see him as a fit? He is a NOLA boy

Guys like Ryan Anderson, Ersan Ilyasova, and Channing Frye are more multidimensional, but they aren’t as lethal as they were two or three years ago, and they can only thrive in specific environments. If they had better post games, they could beat up smaller defenders and force opponents into uncomfortable readjustments. But they can’t — at least not consistently.
    Grantland

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Grantland
    I agree with them.

And I actually think we are that situation for Anderson if our new coach uses him right and Anderson buys in.

Monty leaned too heavily on Anderson who should not of been finishing games many nights(it should of been on a matchup and game performance basis and not the default) and was allowed too much offensive freedom which often killed ball movement and put us into bad shots. Anderson should of been a hustle guy taking jumpers, spreading the floor, grabbing boards and making put backs. Not a back to the basket post guy or someone we give the ball too toward the end of the shot clock and he tries to be Dirk Nowitzki with turnaround fadeaway jumpers and such.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-26-2015 at 05:46 PM.

I'd rather him focus on moving the ball, making passes to guys cutting or finding the open guy. Shooting the 3 is nice, but better passing and better off ball D (Rotations on pick and roll) will create a larger impact.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

I think im by myself when i say i rather davis develop a post game than a 3point shot
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

I'm OK with it as long as he doesn't fall in love with it.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

I can see him falling in love with the 3 just like he sometimes fall in love with his mid range jumper instead of taking his opponent to the hole

AD turning into a lesser Ryan Anderson on offense would be one of the greatest tragedies in the history of sports

Jump hooks, with both hands, from both blocks. all day, every day.

I have no doubt AD can make himself a respectable shooter from behind the arc, but he's headed in the wrong direction. We can get plenty of three point shooters to go around him. He should be working more on passing to 3 point shooters out of a double team rather than honing his own shot. As noted hooks with either hand, a good up and under, and an up fake with a quick drive to the hoop are going to be his go to weapons. If he wanted to be more of a 3 point shooter later in his career I could see that. I love the idea of enhancing our three-point shooting next year. Just not from Davis...

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I think im by myself when i say i rather davis develop a post game than a 3point shot
    I would rather see him do both. Him developing a respectable 3 will make his post game even harder to guard. It's not like he's gonna be taking shots like Anderson from the 3. I think it has worked pretty well for guys like Dirk and Bosh. Millsap hasn't been very good in the playoffs with the 3 but it changed him as a player and made him tougher to guard just being able to knockdown a few a game. I don't think Davis taking 3-6 3 pointers a game will hurt him in anyway. You know how much movement and spacing it allows our guards when he can go stand behind that line at times. Makes him near impossible to guard on the pick and roll also when he decides to step back a little further. Not only does it help his game but it helps our the rest of the players on the court with him and completely changes the way teams have to prepare for us and how they can play our guards. I don't want him to be Anderson front the 3 and I don't think anyone has any reason to worry about that at all. It's just another tool to add to his game making him that much harder to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

Doesn't that already make him a candidate for being what was called a "stretch 4". Or... a play-making 4
    I'm sorry but I don't understand quite the same thing from this Lowe's article. I think his point is the exact opposite. It says that the stretch 4 are no longer trendy in the league and that executives think that you should now look for power forward with ability to find the open man and play post-up. That's why he calls Diaw and Green "play-making 4" and considers Anderson isn't.

So if I need to draw any conclusion from this fine article, it would be that AD should focus on post-up and passing instead of 3 points shoot this summer, in order to hurt smaller player that switch on him and not kill ball movement in this case.

Now if he can transform his long 2s in 3s I'll be fine with it, but if it comes to the detriment of what he's best (i.e. attacking the basket) I don't see the point.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-27-2015 at 12:00 AM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    I'm cool with it. AD's game will always be from the elbow and PnRs, so I doubt this changes anything within our halfcourt offense (even with a new coach). Some situations where he can simply step out for a 3 adds something I think. Would love to see him get a post game as well. But ultimately if AD never improves at anything... he's still a Hall of Famer. Which is crazy to say about a 22 year old. What a beast.

I don't see how a few 3 pointers a game could hurt the guy. He has all of the ability to have an offers for game like Dirk and away from the basket he resembles him a lot and a 3 pointer would make him deadly just like Dirk. The difference is Davis is one of the best around the rim and driving to the basket. Taking a few 3 pointers instead of a few mid rangers is not going to effect him at all and they aren't that stupid to let it become a problem and neither is he.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Call me crazy, but I don't want him to work on his 3 point shot. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist because I love the lost art of the mid range jumper.

The unfortunate thing about the 3 ball is that once players get a lick of confidence behind the arc, they won't be shy to chuck up 3s more than normal which could hurt the team. See Ibaka, Josh Smith, Bosh, etc.

speaking of Davis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11012083_1049150848447006_3660605684826213262_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	5986
    This is a photo from his FB profile (and twitter).
    For those afraid of him not commited to the franchise.
    Will he put this on FB if he will not be going to stay long term (at least 4 years)

https://www.facebook.com/anthonydavis23?fref=photo

I know this means nothing. But for me this means that's he is OK with the franchise. With all this Monty/future coach stuff
    Last edited by pawel; 05-27-2015 at 05:15 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    No you are not, I'd much rather Davis further develop his post game than his 3pt shot. Even if he took 1 3pt a game I think that would be too much. Would take away other higher % shots we all know he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    No you are not, I'd much rather Davis further develop his post game than his 3pt shot. Even if he took 1 3pt a game I think that would be too much. Would take away other higher % shots we all know he can get.
    Tend to agree.

Back to the basket games don't come quickly or easily for a face up player doe.

Probably a few years off yet.

To be a play-making 4 Davis needs to develop his dribble drive game more than extending his range. Even though it was a priority this past summer he still wasn't effective if he had to dribble more than once to get to the basket. Get the playmaking down from 20 feet out this year, then extend the range to the 3 point line, but only for diversity, not as a primary option. The last thing we need is AD camped in the corner on offensive possessions.

Banned
    I'm happy if he can do it, but I see to many big guys getting happy with the 3-point line. A big part of our offense is offensive rebounds sooooo, I'm a bit torn.

Thread Information