Pelicans Report

Thread: Tyson Chandler or Omer Asik?

Tyson Chandler or Omer Asik?

If Dallas is able to sign DeAndre Jordan, there would be practically no reason for them to re-sign Tyson. If he were available and we somehow made the space to sign him, would you rather him or Asik?

*I know that we might not even want either depending on who the next coach is, but just think about it if we had to sign one or the other, who would you rather?

Tyson. He has 4-5 good years left, IMO. There's familiarity between him and AD, too, from USA 2012.

Call me crazy, but I think Tyson could have a Marcus Camby (play til he's 40) career. He is a defender, not a scorer, but when you need him to take the ball in the paint, and point up points (unlike Asik) he can. I say this might sound crazy as almost 7 years ago we traded him because he had a bad knee (and in the process ruined the best unit that the Hornets had ever seen), yet here he is, 7 years later, just doing what he has always been.

So yes, give me Tyson. Btw, who were the other "Baby Bulls" (think head coaching candidate everyone here has a hard on for)?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I would take Tyson over asik without blinking.

Banned
    It would be too good to be true.

I don't think he would sign here over the Clippers and if bff CP3. If the Clippers lose Jordan you can bet they would be all over Chandler.

Chandler. That was easy.
    If Jordan went to Dallas, would the clippers have $ for a FA? Is it possible Pels could have more $ to offer Chandler?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don't think he would sign here over the Clippers and if bff CP3. If the Clippers lose Jordan you can bet they would be all over Chandler.
    That doesn't mean he'll automatically sign just because they show interest. Pelicans have the better prospects than the Clippers. No one would hesitate to choose playing with, arguably the best player in the league, Anthony Davis over an aging Chris Paul. Outside of Paul, the Clippers only have Blake Griffin. Meanwhile, Pels also have Evans, Holiday, Gordon, and Anderson, the more complete team. 5 good to great players vs. 2 great players if Chandler chose a team based on talent. But I think it'd come down to does Chandler want to be on the better team to have a chance to win another ring or be on a team with a couple befriended great players that'll just have a winning record while he relaxes in the L.A. scenery at this stage of his career

Like the OP mentioned though, our coaching hire will determine what we do at C before Chandler gets to decide. There's reports that the team is looking for a coach to bring an up-tempo offense so I'm not sure how Chandler fits in that. Great defense is fine, but we really need scorers everywhere in the lineup so we won't continue to unnecessarily fall behind in a lot of games. I hope we can either trade for Cousins or bring Monroe home in FA. Either one can start a dynasty next to Davis imo.

I think getting Chandler would have to be followed by adding another scoring piece. Chandler is an upgrade over Asik, but it isn't really a huge upgrade to put us over the top. He's a great addition if Davis, Evans, Gordon, Holiday, and Anderson can all stay healthy, but at least 2 of them miss a lot of games every season. A scoring Center can bring much-needed relief if injuries happened again next season, while bringing even more firepower collectively when they're all healthy

For the next year possibly 2? Probably Chandler. But the problem is he will most likely get a 4 year deal for just as much as Asik if not more.

Honestly though, without a coach we have no idea who will actually be on the team.

If we were to some how land Hoiberg, I wonder if he could use some pull to get Chandler here (as they were teammates with the Bulls). Seriously, of all the bad moves the Jeff Bower front office made, moving Chandler for pennies on the dollar was the biggest of them.

Thread Information