Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trade scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Anybody considering Pekovic - look at his games played the last few years. Then, come back and tell me if you still want him at that age and contract
    Two years ago I was able to kill to get Pekovic in NO. MM also loved him those times.

Now everybody wants to get rid of him. He has a contract for 3 years (~12m each)

I would trade Holiday, Gordon, and include a sign-and-trade with Asik for DeMarcus Cousins and another Sacramento player that could make the salaries work and also fill a vacant spot on our team that those former Pel players would create. Maybe a third team would be included to take on Gordon if Sacramento realizes Gordon doesn't want to sign a long-term contract with them after he opts in to the $15.5 million for '15-'16, but he gives them an expiring contract anyway. Third team could give Sac another first rounder for Gordon and also an expiring contract (or bad contract with 2 years) to us to even the salaries. If no third team is included, then the three Pelican contracts ($36 million) being sent to Sacramento for Cousins and a salary of Darren Collison ($20.8 million) would put Sacramento $8 million over the cap since they're projected to have $8 million in cap space going into the offseason if they don't re-sign Derrick Williams' qualifying offer so Sacramento could include Derrick Williams in the trade to even the salaries.

Omer Asik, Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, and two future first rounders from us for DeMarcus Cousins, Darren Collison, Derrick Williams and future 2nd rounder

Kings lineup
    C - Asik
    PF - Thompson, Landry
    SF - Gay, Stauskas
    SG - McLemore, Gordon (Gordon is their 6th man)
    PG - Holiday, McCallum

If Sacramento aren't interested in Asik, Pelicans could also sign-and-trade Asik to a third team for that third team to give Sacramento a first rounder and the third team gives us an impending expiring contract or bad contract with 2 years left that they're trying to get rid of. Sacramento drafts Willie Cauley-Stein with their own first round pick to replace Cousins at Center

Pelicans lineup
    C - Cousins, Ajinca
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Cunningham
    SF - Pondexter, Williams
    SG - Evans, Wesley Matthews?/Jamal Crawford?/Gerald Green?/Marcus Thornton?/Jordan Crawford?
    PG - Collison, Cole, a one year FA vet rental Andre Miller?

The trade gives Sacramento a more balanced lineup. Gay, Holiday, McLemore, and Gordon could make them fun to watch. Sacramento would also be stacked with first rounders and future salary cap room.

Pelicans could have two elite players in the paint, along with outstanding complimentary players in the backcourt, leading us to a championship over the next decade
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 05-26-2015 at 08:37 AM.

If not trade for Cousins or sign Monroe, then I'd love to trade Eric Gordon straight up for Brook Lopez. Their salaries are fairly even if both opt in for '15-'16 and they fill a need for both teams. Nets get their SG to put in between Deron Williams and Joe Johnson; Pelicans get a lengthy scoring Center that can run the floor and pair with AD. We could then sign any of the top affordable FA SG's to replace Gordon if the new coach's plan is to keep Evans at SF and Holiday still remains on the team. We'd have a huge upgrade in scoring if we acquired any of Cousins, Monroe, or Lopez!

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    I know it's a bit of a dream but S&T for Monroe, giving up Tyreke or Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    I would trade Holiday, Gordon, and include a sign-and-trade with Asik for DeMarcus Cousins and another Sacramento player that could make the salaries work and also fill a vacant spot on our team that those former Pel players would create. Maybe a third team would be included to take on Gordon if Sacramento realizes Gordon doesn't want to sign a long-term contract with them after he opts in to the $15.5 million for '15-'16, but he gives them an expiring contract anyway. Third team could give Sac another first rounder for Gordon and also an expiring contract (or bad contract with 2 years) to us to even the salaries. If no third team is included, then the three Pelican contracts ($36 million) being sent to Sacramento for Cousins and a salary of Darren Collison ($20.8 million) would put Sacramento $8 million over the cap since they're projected to have $8 million in cap space going into the offseason if they don't re-sign Derrick Williams' qualifying offer so Sacramento could include Derrick Williams in the trade to even the salaries.

Omer Asik, Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon, and two future first rounders from us for DeMarcus Cousins, Darren Collison, Derrick Williams and future 2nd rounder

Kings lineup
    C - Asik
    PF - Thompson, Landry
    SF - Gay, Stauskas
    SG - McLemore, Gordon (Gordon is their 6th man)
    PG - Holiday, McCallum

If Sacramento aren't interested in Asik, Pelicans could also sign-and-trade Asik to a third team for that third team to give Sacramento a first rounder and the third team gives us an impending expiring contract or bad contract with 2 years left that they're trying to get rid of. Sacramento drafts Willie Cauley-Stein with their own first round pick to replace Cousins at Center

Pelicans lineup
    C - Cousins, Ajinca
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Cunningham
    SF - Pondexter, Williams
    SG - Evans, Wesley Matthews?/Jamal Crawford?/Gerald Green?/Marcus Thornton?/Jordan Crawford?
    PG - Collison, Cole, a one year FA vet rental Andre Miller?

The trade gives Sacramento a more balanced lineup. Gay, Holiday, McLemore, and Gordon could make them fun to watch. Sacramento would also be stacked with first rounders and future salary cap room.

Pelicans could have two elite players in the paint, along with outstanding complimentary players in the backcourt, leading us to a championship over the next decade

don't really think Sac would trade their superstar for 2 picks, a PG that missed pretty much a full season out of the last 2 and a guy that doesn't want to be there, and see even less chance of Collison being included. That would make more sense if you included Anderson instead of Asik or Gordon, since he's from Sacramento and fills a void at the 4 they've had for quite a long. Still, if I'm a Kings fan, wouldn't do it, and the salaries wouldn't match either. Just can't see a scenario in which we land a player like Cousins without giving up AD.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    If not trade for Cousins or sign Monroe, then I'd love to trade Eric Gordon straight up for Brook Lopez. Their salaries are fairly even if both opt in for '15-'16 and they fill a need for both teams. Nets get their SG to put in between Deron Williams and Joe Johnson; Pelicans get a lengthy scoring Center that can run the floor and pair with AD. We could then sign any of the top affordable FA SG's to replace Gordon if the new coach's plan is to keep Evans at SF and Holiday still remains on the team. We'd have a huge upgrade in scoring if we acquired any of Cousins, Monroe, or Lopez!
    Also wouldn't trade for Brook Lopez. He's slow footed, doesn't grab boards, has an history of injuries himself and despite the blocks, never considered him a good defender (his defensive win shares and defensive box plus/minus never impressed). Plus, the guy took nearly 14 shots in just under 30 minutes per game this season. Don't want him taking touches away from AD, Evans, Jrue or Anderson. Per 36, Lopez took .7 less shot than AD. Just don't see him as a guy who's gonna push us to the next level, would rather a wing defender that could at least demand some respect from 3 point, since I believe our biggest problem isn't scoring, but perimeter defense.

Only if we could sign Wes Matthews...

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    We have to figure out a way to add without taking away.

Run back the same roster with upgrades at our weak positions.

Dell is VERY GOOD at adding without taking away. (Cole, Pondexter, Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    Only if we could sign Wes Matthews...
    It'll be interesting to see what sort of contract he gets given his injury. I'm expecting a one year deal so that he can prove that his health isn't a long term concern and due to the expected cap jump.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why do I taste salt? Like I just ate a big bag o' Funjuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why do I taste salt? Like I just ate a big bag o' Funjuns.
    You mean runjuns (cuz they give me the squirts).

I don't taste salt, I just see hope springing eternal.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Or maybe I'm just feeling extra salty cuz DeRozan was thoroughly shot down by two folk on the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Dell is VERY GOOD at adding without taking away. (Cole, Pondexter, Cunningham)
    yeah - but those 3 guys came to NO during the season.
    summer is usually RFAs and trading picks...

based on the name of a new coach we have nice trading chips in Ryno/EJ/Evans/2016 pick

no matter who will coach us - changes will occur this offseason. it should be fun

The Franchise    Contributor   

hoopshype has the Nets willing to deal Plumlee now (last summer the rumor was they could have unloaded D-Will to Sac if they had included him...) and the assumption is that they would want to use him to unload Joe (or D-Will)

I don't know how interested I would be in doing this, and I'm not sure if the ESPN trade machine is accurate since it's using 1415 salaries, but...
    what would folks here think about picking up Plumlee, and Joe, in exchange for Gordon and whatever else it takes to make the numbers work? Last summer Plumlee looked like the real deal, and Joe's salary doesn't 'hurt' us next year any more than Gordon's does since they both expire. Personally, now that we are on Gordon's last year I am fine with him sticking around. I am also not clear what, if anything, else we would need to include. Either Tyreke or Anderson works on the trade machine, but I wasn't sure if this summer when the books rolled over if it was definite we would have to include one of them. Or keep Gordon and send Evans and Anderson. While I don't know if I like this trade idea, I know I like Plumlee on a rookie deal over Asik

If there were more leaks on the coaching search I wouldn't be having ideas like this pop in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    Also wouldn't trade for Brook Lopez. He's slow footed, doesn't grab boards, has an history of injuries himself and despite the blocks, never considered him a good defender (his defensive win shares and defensive box plus/minus never impressed). Plus, the guy took nearly 14 shots in just under 30 minutes per game this season. Don't want him taking touches away from AD, Evans, Jrue or Anderson. Per 36, Lopez took .7 less shot than AD. Just don't see him as a guy who's gonna push us to the next level, would rather a wing defender that could at least demand some respect from 3 point, since I believe our biggest problem isn't scoring, but perimeter defense.
    I agree I'm not a big fan of Lopez and especially not on our team with AD. I would much rather invest in a SF that can run at the 4 spot also while AD plays the 5. I think we need a good center but not a high usage one like Lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    hoopshype has the Nets willing to deal Plumlee now (last summer the rumor was they could have unloaded D-Will to Sac if they had included him...) and the assumption is that they would want to use him to unload Joe (or D-Will)

I don't know how interested I would be in doing this, and I'm not sure if the ESPN trade machine is accurate since it's using 1415 salaries, but...
    what would folks here think about picking up Plumlee, and Joe, in exchange for Gordon and whatever else it takes to make the numbers work? Last summer Plumlee looked like the real deal, and Joe's salary doesn't 'hurt' us next year any more than Gordon's does since they both expire. Personally, now that we are on Gordon's last year I am fine with him sticking around. I am also not clear what, if anything, else we would need to include. Either Tyreke or Anderson works on the trade machine, but I wasn't sure if this summer when the books rolled over if it was definite we would have to include one of them. Or keep Gordon and send Evans and Anderson. While I don't know if I like this trade idea, I know I like Plumlee on a rookie deal over Asik

If there were more leaks on the coaching search I wouldn't be having ideas like this pop in my head...
    I think Plumlee would be a perfect fit next to AD. He is improving every season from what I have seen and reminds me a little of Deandre Jordan. I would much rather pay a stud SF while adding an athletic center who can rebound and block shots to play some minutes next to Davis. I would love Plumlee and rather ham him for his price over what Lopez would cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I agree I'm not a big fan of Lopez and especially not on our team with AD. I would much rather invest in a SF that can run at the 4 spot also while AD plays the 5. I think we need a good center but not a high usage one like Lopez.
    Mr. Thaddeus Young step right up

RA for NENE

Thread Information