Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thibs

6 10.17%
  • JVG

53 89.83%

Thread: Thibs or JVG?

Thibs or JVG?

If both coaches openly wanted the position and u were in a position to choose which would u pick?

JVG, without even thinking twice.

JVG. But I'd prefer the 3rd door as long as Mark Jackson isn't behind it.

Honestly I haven't posted much about the coaching search because I only know who I don't want. I don't know enough about all the guys to make a decision. In Demps I trust on this one.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    This is tough because both have negatives fans can harp in on. JVG hasn't coached in a decade....he knows fundamentals but is he up to date on newer NBA tendencies? Thibs great defense coach but really struggled with pace/offense. I wouldn't be upset with either one and both are in my top 4 of wants.

If you are saying JVG are you taking into account that Thibs was the assistant during JVG's reigns in both NY and Houston? That he took a large role in crafting and running every one of the defenses that Van Gundy made his name with?

To me I have began to waffle on Van Gundy. I know Thibs will be successful because he has been every year as a head coach and everywhere he was an assistant. Van Gundy I am less certain of. Not to say he won't find success but he is less of a guarantee.

If we are going by the metrics Thibs has had the all around better success rate and done it with less talent.

And how does JVG get the nod on the offensive side? In his career his offenses ranked: 25th, 20th, 26th, 21st, 19th, 24th, 15th, 29th, 15th.

Thibs on the other hand in 5 years ranked 11th, 5th, 23rd, 28th, 11th.

We know Thibs will guarantee a top 10 defense most likely, we know Thibs can lead a top tier offense with he right weapons. Can we say both about Van Gundy?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    This is tough because both have negatives fans can harp in on. JVG hasn't coached in a decade....he knows fundamentals but is he up to date on newer NBA tendencies? Thibs great defense coach but really struggled with pace/offense. I wouldn't be upset with either one and both are in my top 4 of wants.
    Pace yes, offense no. Again, in 5 years he had a 5th, 11th and 11th ranked offense. And it isn't like Chicago has ever been flush with offensive firepower, not to mention Rose's injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Pace yes, offense no. Again, in 5 years he had a 5th, 11th and 11th ranked offense. And it isn't like Chicago has ever been flush with offensive firepower, not to mention Rose's injury history.
    Have you watched the bulls offense in the post season the past few seasons?

Yeah i guess the bulls always arrive gassed at the end of the season because the players love to get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Have you watched the bulls offense in the post season the past few seasons?
    Have you? Because it seems to me context should come into play given the injuries and what Thibs has had to work with. You lose Rose your second season(of which blame should partially rest on Thibs for that) and then you lose Deng in the following seasons and are without Rose. Are you expecting the Warriors offense when Taj gibson, Boozer and Noah are your top scorers like 2013? Your first option for many years is Luol Deng at 16ppg who had a mishap in surgery?

A person who made an article for The Bird Writes actually had a decent dispelling of a lot of myths about Thibs. One of which was the notion his team is gassed by the end of the season. His teams actually perform better post allstar break on average over his tenure and they have been below average in terms of injuries across the league over Thibs tenure. That is with counting Rose's injury. When Thibs didn't have minutes restrictions he still kept Rose under 32 minutes a game the other season so the notion he is completely tone deaf to minutes is slightly overstated.

And I continue to say this. People are completely forgetting that the league is poised to extend the season in a way so players get more rest.

And again, this is a thread comparing JVG to Thibs. Can you make a case that JVG will be superior offensively? If we take your premise that Thibs is bad offensively what does that make JVG who hasn't even sniffed a top 10 offense in his entire career.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-24-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Yeah i guess the bulls always arrive gassed at the end of the season because the players love to get tired.
    How about actually substantiating why JVG is such an easy choice? Trying to **** on the other guy while providing no real reason why the guy you like is a better alternative isn't really an argument.

If you are saying JVG are you taking into account that Thibs was the assistant during JVG's reigns in both NY and Houston? That he took a large role in crafting and running every one of the defenses that Van Gundy made his name with?

To me I have began to waffle on Van Gundy. I know Thibs will be successful because he has been every year as a head coach and everywhere he was an assistant. Van Gundy I am less certain of. Not to say he won't find success but he is less of a guarantee.

If we are going by the metrics Thibs has had the all around better success rate and done it with less talent.

And how does JVG get the nod on the offensive side? In his career his offenses ranked: 25th, 20th, 26th, 21st, 19th, 24th, 15th, 29th, 15th.

Thibs on the other hand in 5 years ranked 11th, 5th, 23rd, 28th, 11th.

We know Thibs will guarantee a top 10 defense most likely, we know Thibs can lead a top tier offense with he right weapons. Can we say both about Van Gundy?
    Good post.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...undy-Stare.gif

Have you?
    Because it seems to me context should come into play given the injuries and what Thibs has had to work with.
    That can be said about a lot of coaches in the NBA, including the one we just fired.

You lose Rose your second season(of which blame should partially rest on Thibs for that) and then you lose Deng in the following seasons and are without Rose. Are you expecting the Warriors offense when Taj gibson, Boozer and Noah are your top scorers like 2013? Your first option for many years is Luol Deng at 16ppg who had a mishap in surgery?
    Who cares? Monty has gone through similar adversity injury wise here as a coach especially the past 2 seasons. A lot of coaches do.

A person who made an article for The Bird Writes actually had a decent dispelling of a lot of myths about Thibs. One of which was the notion his team is gassed by the end of the season. His teams actually perform better post allstar break on average over his tenure and they have been below average in terms of injuries across the league over Thibs tenure. That is with counting Rose's injury. When Thibs didn't have minutes restrictions he still kept Rose under 32 minutes a game the other season so the notion he is completely tone deaf to minutes is slightly overstated.
    That's great, I don't think I said anything having to do with Thibs gases his players.

And I continue to say this. People are completely forgetting that the league is poised to extend the season in a way so players get more rest.
    No one is forgetting. The last I heard the proposal was to extend the season by a single week, that's awesome and all, but still doesn't eliminate back-to-backs. So yippie?

And again, this is a thread comparing JVG to Thibs. Can you make a case that JVG will be superior offensively? If we take your premise that Thibs is bad offensively what does that make JVG who hasn't even sniffed a top 10 offense in his entire career.
    I think you need to re-read my original post. I said both of these guys were in my top 4 but listed general well known issues with each. If you don't believe it's an issue then that's your opinion but look at Chicago's offense in the playoffs the past 4 seasons, they completely stalled. And don't give me injuries, that's an excuse now, while some teams luck out like the Warriors and are completely healthy a lot of coaches face similar problems. I would still take Thibs or JVG if both wanted the job. I would like to see an offensive minded assist be hired if Thibs gets job though.

Thibs think he would be more dedicated to the team .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I love JVG but neither one seems like a Pelican type individual.

Thread Information