Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 7 coaching wish list

Pelicans Top 7 coaching wish list

Just wondering what people think about their wish list of coaches they want. I would be happy with a variety of coaches and will support whoever it is either way but I have my favorite of course.

1. Fred Hoiberg

2. Jeff Van Gundy

3. John Calipari

4. Kenny Atkinson

5. Sean Miller

6. Tom Thibodeau

7. Alvin Gentry

Can you say why you like those guys?

1. Hoiberg (Love his offense and connection with his players and is young to grow with AD) very unlikely we get him, it seems like him to chi is a lock.

2. JVG (Great basketball mind and has coached in the NBA for nearly 20 years and is only 53. He's a leader and speaks out something Monty never di and will demand respect on the floor. He can teach our low IQ players winning basketball and he has connections throughout the leauge and is well respected. I also love that he does not have a concrete play style, he forms an offense to suit his personnel)

3. Atikson (from what I read he a key component of the uptempo and off ball movement type offense that the Hawks, Spurs, and Warriors run. He's the next coach in line to instill this system to a team and from what I read if a great player developer.)

4. Gentry (Same as Atikson he brings in the fast paced lots of ball movement offense but is 60 and has had a mediocre coaching career)

5. Sean Miller ( Great defensive coach and very electric yells on the sidelines which we haven't had in a long time)

6. Mike Malone (Did well with his second year with the Kings struggles to run a offense)

7. Thibs (Great defense but runs players into the ground and has no idea how to run a offense.

So if we want a experienced coach so we don't have to worry about the learning curve of the NBA and if the guy is a good or bad coach and waste more year of AD I take JVG which is a great choice. If I'm willing to take a risk with a new coach I go after Atikson. I'm more inclined to JVG because as an org with not much basketball history he brings in knowledge, leadership, and creditably this franchise needs.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    1. Hoiberg (Love his offense and connection with his players and is young to grow with AD) very unlikely we get him, it seems like him to chi is a lock.

2. JVG (Great basketball mind and has coached in the NBA for nearly 20 years and is only 53. He's a leader and speaks out something Monty never di and will demand respect on the floor. He can teach our low IQ players winning basketball and he has connections throughout the leauge and is well respected. I also love that he does not have a concrete play style, he forms an offense to suit his personnel)

3. Atikson (from what I read he a key component of the uptempo and off ball movement type offense that the Hawks, Spurs, and Warriors run. He's the next coach in line to instill this system to a team and from what I read if a great player developer.)

4. Gentry (Same as Atikson he brings in the fast paced lots of ball movement offense but is 60 and has had a mediocre coaching career)

5. Sean Miller ( Great defensive coach and very electric yells on the sidelines which we haven't had in a long time)

6. Mike Malone (Did well with his second year with the Kings struggles to run a offense)

7. Thibs (Great defense but runs players into the ground and has no idea how to run a offense.

So if we want a experienced coach so we don't have to worry about the learning curve of the NBA and if the guy is a good or bad coach and waste more year of AD I take JVG which is a great choice. If I'm willing to take a risk with a new coach I go after Atikson. I'm more inclined to JVG because as an org with not much basketball history he brings in knowledge, leadership, and creditably this franchise needs.
    Great list and explanations. My list is the same, but with 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 swapped.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Can you say why you like those guys?
    1. Fred Hoiberg - I love his style of offense he runs and what he has been able to do with the little talent he has while running an NBA system. He was a former front office member along with having experience as a player in the league giving him a good insight on the game. I think he would bring a great offensive scheme here that relies on spacing the floor with 3 pointers eliminating bad shots while getting to the rim. I think his system fits our team and Davis most of all giving us an immediate impact on offense. He would give us a respectable defense and can't be much worse than what we have had. He is loved by his players and has a great personality to mesh with Davis to get along with very well. He is a young coach and willing to adapt his system while always looking to improve using his assistants for input not trying to put himself above the staff. He reminds me a lot of Kerr with near identical backgrounds who I thought was a great hire at the time and has proven to be exactly that.

2. Jeff Van Gundy - He is an experienced coach who is well respected around the league with tons of basketball knowledge. Has a great personality who gets the respect of his players and is loved by his fan base. I think his time as a broadcaster has given him a rare ability to meet with coaches all around the NBA learning and studying different styles that you can't get by just watching them play. He is old school but not stubborn on running a team with a scheme that doesn't fit but will adapt and adjust being open to anything. Will come in and build a system around his players to best suit this team. Would most likely bring in the best staff with him of all potential candidates having connections all around the league.

3. John Calipari - He is a great coach who has proven to get the best out of his talent. He doesn't win a championship every year with his stacked team but what he does with a bunch of freshman with very little time to implement his system and learn his players is amazing. I think he runs a very good system on both sides of the ball and would bring good hard nosed play to our team. He is loved by his players and would give us a great chance at bringing in top talent like Durant and others because of his name alone. He would instantly bring a buzz to this team and interest from media and fans all around the world. He would put butts in the seats and create an excitement here no other coach would wether you like him or not. Most of all I believe he is our best chance at securing our super star Anthony Davis for his next 2 contracts. In the end winning matters the most to Davis which is all the really comes into play securing him to sign but Cal definitely wouldn't hurt.

4. Kenny Atkinson - From everything I have read he seems to be the next up and coming coach ready for the duties of a HC. Great talent developer and knows how to get the best out of his players. Has been a huge part of the success to Atlantas offense which style would be a perfect fit here. His system would be very similiar to what the Spurs do now passing the ball with ball screens all over driving a defense nuts opening up wide open looks for players. He is young and seems to be well liked by his players who Al Horford credits with helping him develop another part of his game to the next level and could help with the further development of Davis.

5. Sean Miller - A very energetic coach who brings a different sideline demeanor then we have been use to with our last few coaches. Has a system that would translate very well to the NBA and our team. Has one of the better track records in all of college basketball with his team being in the hunt every single season. Has a very respected offense and defense being a master on both sides of the ball. A young coach who would fit well here and be an instant upgrade.

6. Tom Thibodeau - Has a proven track record with a high winning % and one of the top teams in the east every year. Is known as a defensive guru being one of the best in the NBA. He hasn't won a championship but a lot of coaches haven't and if that was the bar set on what a good coach is then the NBA would have very few. He would be an instant upgrade from what we had in Monty but similiar in style at the same time. I don't know if he is willing to change some of his philosophies but if he is he could be one hell of a coach. I believe if he is the hire then Dell will address his issues before hiring him and most likely bring in a top offensive coach to aid in his flaws. I think some of his rumors of running players into the ground have been a little overblown but who really knows. Not my first choice but would be an upgrade that can only help improve giving us a chance to compete for championships. All coaches come with flaws just like him but it all comes down to best fit and willing to change for the better of the team. If it wasn't for running into one of the greatest players on the planet in Lebron he mite have a couple finals appearances and rings having people here begging for someone like him.

7. Alvin Gentry - He has had a pretty average record as a HC in his career but also has not been given much to work with. When he had some talent in Phoenix he did pretty well taking his team to the WC Finals. Has had some time to learn and improve his scheme being a coach that will adapt and run what is best for his team. Has a very fast and up tempo offense and will put up points like you see in GS and when he was HC of Phoenix. Would bring a very exciting brand of basketball and with a good defensive coach like Malone on his staff could prove to be a successful coach and maybe just what we need. He would be an improvement on Monty and a completely different system that most people have been wanting. Not my favorite coach for more than one reason most of all his age.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-21-2015 at 03:20 AM.

1. Hoiberg (great offense, open mind)
    2. Atkinson (who will find another Carroll for us - You see continuity in Atlanta )
    3. Messina (with assumption that AD will buy him - AD will be probably center in his squad)
    4. Malone (if we will go defensive, hopefully with offensive assistant. but he is also open minded)
    5. Miller (defensive coach who does not forget about offense)
    6. Gentry (If we will go offense)
    7. Thibs - I want to remain with Dell. Thibs will want much power than I am able to give him... But I will be fine with him as a coach

People just throw names out, just to be different and to think they're thinking outside the box..
    Can someone tell me why Kenny Atkinson is so high up? You think we are going to fire Monty, and hire an unproven, inexperienced coach for a team that's only had one good year?? his been at hawks for years, if he was so good they would of been this good every year!!
    And why is there so much faith in Malone? What has he proven besides a losing record, he isn't a good defensive coordinator, Kings had the worst defence in the league under his reign!
    The legit candidates to me, that will actually have a profound improvement on this club is
    1. Hoiberg
    2. Sean Miller
    3. JVG
    4. Thibs
    5. Gentry, however im sceptical about him.

JVG would be my choice, if I had to pick one out of a hat.
    Gentry would be my least favourite, although I wont sob for days if he is hired..

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    People just throw names out, just to be different and to think they're thinking outside the box..
    Can someone tell me why Kenny Atkinson is so high up? You think we are going to fire Monty, and hire an unproven, inexperienced coach for a team that's only had one good year?? his been at hawks for years, if he was so good they would of been this good every year!!
    And why is there so much faith in Malone? What has he proven besides a losing record, he isn't a good defensive coordinator, Kings had the worst defence in the league under his reign!
    The legit candidates to me, that will actually have a profound improvement on this club is
    1. Hoiberg
    2. Sean Miller
    3. JVG
    4. Thibs
    5. Gentry, however im sceptical about him.

JVG would be my choice, if I had to pick one out of a hat.
    Gentry would be my least favourite, although I wont sob for days if he is hired..
    Well according to your theory of unproven and inexperienced coaches your top 2 guys listed are just that. If Pop and Phil were so good then why have they lost in the 1st round before and not been in the finals every year!? Atkinson actually has experience coaching in the NBA when Hoiberg and Miller have 0. Then you bash Malone for having a losing record when your 5th choice Gentry has had 12 years to coach with a losing record. Kerr who had absolutely 0 experience as an assistant or HC period has the best record in the NBA with 67 wins! Haha another person throwing certain coaches under the bus as bad choices just because they aren't who you like. Making the same points why they are bad choices but pick people with the same problems you like and are good choices.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-21-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Well according to your theory of unproven and inexperienced coaches your top 2 guys listed are just that. If Pop and Phil were so good then why have they lost in the 1st round before and not been in the finals every year!? Atkinson actually has experience coaching in the NBA when Hoiberg and Miller have 0. Then you bash Malone for having a losing record when your 5th choice Gentry has had 12 years to coach with a losing record. Kerr who had absolutely 0 experience as an assistant or HC period has the best record in the NBA with 67 wins! Haha another person throwing certain coaches under the bus as bad choices just because they aren't who you like. Making the same points why they are bad choices but pick people with the same problems you like and are good choices.
    They don't have NBA experience, but they have head coaching experience and experience with player personnel, Gentry had a few good seasons, along with a few terrible seasons in the NBA, with horrible teams under his reign, he did take the Suns to the Conference Finals, you can't pin point success to Atkinson, infact no one knows how much he even contributes to hawks success, and my bet is not much considering he wasn't the difference changer, their head coach was. His too much of a gamble, Kerr was always a big risk in my opinion. You don't really give me a good reason to like Atkinson at all

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    They don't have NBA experience, but they have head coaching experience and experience with player personnel, Gentry had a few good seasons, along with a few terrible seasons in the NBA, with horrible teams under his reign, he did take the Suns to the Conference Finals, you can't pin point success to Atkinson, infact no one knows how much he even contributes to hawks success, and my bet is not much considering he wasn't the difference changer, their head coach was. His too much of a gamble, Kerr was always a big risk in my opinion. You don't really give me a good reason to like Atkinson at all
    Gentry has 3 seasons over 500 in his 12 year HC career. His career win % is below .500

We just got rid of Monty who although hasn't coach as long has a very similar record. I'd rather someone with 0 NBA experience than Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Gentry has 3 seasons over 500 in his 12 year HC career. His career win % is below .500

We just got rid of Monty who although hasn't coach as long has a very similar record. I'd rather someone with 0 NBA experience than Gentry.
    look, i said it was skeptical for a reason.. i ain't saying i want gentry, im just saying that Atkinson shouldn't be considered an upgrade over monty

1. Atkinson
    2. Miller
    3. Lue
    4. Robert Pack
    5. Jay Larranaga, Celtics

Atkinson will be up today in the BSS tournament. Maybe after reading that, you will have more info on Atkinson.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Atkinson will be up today in the BSS tournament. Maybe after reading that, you will have more info on Atkinson.
    looking forward

The more and more we all evaluate coaches I think our choices will come down between Sean Miller and Mike Malone. JVG is honestly a long shot. Gentry is a not that impressive resume wise and age wise. Atkinson maybe but has a limited resume. Things is too power hungry and expensive and doesn't have the offense that Dell would hire him for. Hoidberg sounds like he is committed to Chiraq. So whats left is a great College coach and a proven and respected coach in the NBA. I won't have a issue with either, but I think Sean Miller ultimately gets it bases on having a better offensive scheme and potential good NBA connections.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I had Atkinson #1, Hoiberg #2, JVG #3 but I may move JVG to #1 now after the BSS tournament write up... in 9 years his worst defense ranked SIXTH in the league in defensive rating. that's incredible

I have to say I'm more partial to young assistants much like I am drafting players. Most of the retreads were fired for a reason. I think a guy like Atkinson would be a top my board now that I've done a little more digging into the names that are out there. Of course as I get more info about other candidates that could change.

Van Gundy

Atkinson

Thibs

Cal

Miller

Hoiberg

Gentry

look, i said it was skeptical for a reason.. i ain't saying i want gentry, im just saying that Atkinson shouldn't be considered an upgrade over monty

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...ssistant-coach

He could be the next Sean Payton of basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Just wondering what people think about their wish list of coaches they want. I would be happy with a variety of coaches and will support whoever it is either way but I have my favorite of course. )

1. Fred Hoiberg

2. Jeff Van Gundy

3. John Calipari

4. Kenny Atkinson

5. Sean Miller

6. Tom Thibodeau

7. Alvin Gentry

1. Sean Miller---Great college coach. Offense ranked 22nd----Defense ranked 18th! Fiery,young and a players coach. Everyone else has expanded on his body of work. Oh yeah, he took over for a legend, went .500 his 1st yr & they were looking for his scalp. Since then .700+ winning pct.

2. JVG---Proven winner, players coach, not afraid of Joey Crawford or Alonzo Mourning. ATTITUDE!

3. Sean Miller

4. JVG

5.Sean Miller

6. JVG

7. Sean Miller
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-21-2015 at 09:53 AM.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    These are the 2 guys who intrigue me the most, outside of Hoiberg. BTW, this needs to be posted in the bracket thread

I honestly don't know who to vote between those two

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here ya go, Atkinson vs. Tyronn Lue http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...enny-atkinson/
    Kenny Atkinson is now number 1 for me. Damn you MM!

1.Atkinson ( He can help us finally build a Robin!!!!! A True PG or second option to go with AD)
    2.Hoidberg (Aka the hottest coach in the basketball world! I think he is not available, so he comes second)
    3. JVG (He is only third because he is a long shot and may potentially clash with power struggles with Dealer Dell)
    4. Malone (Experience here, defense, defense, defense!)
    5.Miller ( Malone made the jump over him for me, but he is a fiery players coach and can bring grit and D to this team)
    6.Thibs (Meh)
    7. Lue ( Potential good coach. But too many risks with lack of experience and the time frame we are on to win now. )

Thread Information