Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pels among team wanting Heat's FA Goran Dragic

All-Star

Pels among team wanting Heat's FA Goran Dragic

A Miami newspaper quoting us as one of the team that have interest in Dragic

We’re told Dragic very much likes Spoelstra and Riley and nothing to this point has changed regarding the Heat’s status as front-runners to keep him. The Lakers, Knicks, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Sacramento are all expected to have interest
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...ins-canes.html

Thoughts ?

I personnally don't think it's true, they just put some names in the mix to force their front office to keep Dragic.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Dell traded for Dragic in the vetoed trade. Makes sense, hes only gotten better.

Interesting....

If there's any truth to this then Demps has some big, blow it up moves planned. Dragic in means Tyreke and one of Asik/Gordon/Ryno out just to create the cap space to make a bid on him. I'd say Jrue is both untradable due to the injury, and able to play with Dragic thanks to his shooting and size/defense.

"Expected to have interest" reads to me like reporter speculation. Not insider info.

Dragic is FA. It is in his business to let know everyone around that he is wanted everywhere.

He might be good with Jrue in the BC. I like those 2 together.
    For sure Dell likes him. Will new HC like as well?
    But 4 now it is pure speculation.

We will see

I think that sort of move, if this isn't speculation like I am 99% sure it is, puts the cart before the horse. Which is also why I think this is just reporter speculation.

Much like Asik, it doesnt make sense to shoot toward making this sort of move before we have a coach.

Maybe if we go with Gentry a Jrue and Dragic back court makes sense(not sure Dragic would go back to a duel PG system again) but if we get Thibs it would make more sense to keep Jrue, Gordon and Qpon starting(unless an upgrade is available for Gordon or Q-pon).

There Is a good chance Cole will go to Cleveland if Lebron stays. So maybe some truth to this?

A backcourt of Jrue and Dragic would be deadly.

Dragic is an absolutely excellent finisher at the rim and takes very smart high percentage shots, but good lord can we please go after a small forward? Maybe its true that dell really wants to build a small ball 3 guard back court like people have said. Jrue dragic tyreke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    There Is a good chance Cole will go to Cleveland if Lebron stays. So maybe some truth to this?
    Cole is a RFA, the team can match any contracts and nobody is going to tie up cap space for 3 days on a backup. Unless we just don't want him back and release him, it doesn't really matter what Cole wants.

If this is in any way true, id be proud of the Pels

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Cole is a RFA, the team can match any contracts and nobody is going to tie up cap space for 3 days on a backup. Unless we just don't want him back and release him, it doesn't really matter what Cole wants.
    Cool. Didn't know he was a RFA. Hoopshype was making a big deal about him being at the Cavs games.

I am pretty confident that Dragic wanted to go to the Heat because he wants to play point guard only. If this is true, Holiday must not be in our plans.

Cool. Didn't know he was a RFA. Hoopshype was making a big deal about him being at the Cavs games.
    He's from the area... probably just spending the offseason at home

I am pretty confident that Dragic wanted to go to the Heat because he wants to play point guard only. If this is true, Holiday must not be in our plans.
    This is a good post, this is why he was unhappy with the suns. Id rather keep jrue honestly and however we planned on making room for dragic, use that to acquire someone like khris middleton or damarre carrol.

His best year was playing next to Bledsoe, a 3 and D guard like Holiday. He also played his first 2 years in Phoenix with Head Coach Alvin Gentry. If Gentry is the coach and Gordon and Tyreke are the players you move to make room for him, the desirability changes dramatically.

I wouldnt just call him a 3 and d, he is an incredible finisher at the rim and takes smart high percentage shots.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I wouldnt just call him a 3 and d, he is an incredible finisher at the rim and takes smart high percentage shots.
    First, he's far from incredible, Dragic's career FG% within 3 feet is 10% higher than Holiday's career average, 67.2% vs 57.3%. 2nd, just because he can do more than 3 and D doesn't mean he has to run the offense full time. We saw that this year playing with Tyreke. Holiday doesn't have to be ball dominant to be effective so Dragic should be able to feel comfortable playing next to him.

When Dragic forced a trade away from Phoenix he had two reasons why
    1- He didn't like how Isaiah Thomas killed ball movement and took so many shots away from him and
    2- He wanted to play for a big market.

Between Reke, AD, Gordon, Anderson, and Holiday we have some pretty high usage players. We are the smallest market in the NBA. He's also looking for a max contract. Would you give him the max? Are a team of AD, Dragic, and whatever else we can keep around a championship team? Who takes our players for it? Would the Heat even do a sign and trade for those players?
    Not saying he wouldn't come here but it sure sounds like there are a ton of issues that would have to be cleared up first.

Maybe it's not true. Maybe our front office who never seems to leak anything isn't leaking this and it's being reported by Dragic's agent in order to try and show more interest in his client. Which is more likely to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Funny because Miami isn't actually a big market in terms of TV rating. It's just a super high profile city.

I think it's not even in the top half of the league in sheer market size. But it has a large population. I don't get Nielsen ratings.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 05-24-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    First, he's far from incredible, Dragic's career FG% within 3 feet is 10% higher than Holiday's career average, 67.2% vs 57.3%. 2nd, just because he can do more than 3 and D doesn't mean he has to run the offense full time. We saw that this year playing with Tyreke. Holiday doesn't have to be ball dominant to be effective so Dragic should be able to feel comfortable playing next to him.
    Yea maybe for his career when he wasn't very good to start making his overall % not look to great. Over the last few years he has been a great all around player at doing everything. He has been very good getting to the rim the last few years and if you watched him you would have seen he was near incredible at it. Him and Holiday in the backcourt would compliment each other so well with both being able to run the point and play off ball while guarding both positions. Holiday mite be better suited guarding PGs since he is the better defender but both are interchangeable and can do both very well. Another thing we can do is stagger a lot of their minutes so we always have one of them on the court.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I wonder if this has anything to do with Holiday's injury.

As much as I appreciate Dragic's talent do we really need another guard that will take the ball away from AD's hand ? Also if he couldn't mesh with Thomas, I'm dubious of his fit alongside Tyreke.

Also, there was plenty of talk about playing the "new school" way; but as far as I know it requires good shooters and passers not bunch of ball handlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    As much as I appreciate Dragic's talent do we really need another guard that will take the ball away from AD's hand ? Also if he couldn't mesh with Thomas, I'm dubious of his fit alongside Tyreke.

Also, there was plenty of talk about playing the "new school" way; but as far as I know it requires good shooters and passers not bunch of ball handlers.
    Tyreke would most likely be on the out if we were to bring Dragic in. We would probably dump him with little in return so we could afford him. Dragic would be great way to get the ball in ADs hands. Yea he takes shots but so does everyone but not everyone can pass it like him to get the ball to big men. The new school way is having good shooters and passers which Dragic definitely is. He is a ball handler but his is not one that stops the flow of a game. We won't have Gordon around in a year and like I said Tyreke will most likely be moved if he is brought in which gives us 2 ball handlers. Him and Jrue would be a perfect backcourt with both being able to feed AD while running the point and both can play off ball. They both have the size to cover 2 guards along with the ability to cover PGs. They are basically the new school back court and with an uptempo coach they would be nightmares to deal with. Holiday to go along with Dragic and a really good SF to replace Gordon and Tyreke would be amazing for this team making us way more dynamic and tougher to stop with having to perfect guys to feed AD.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-25-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Thread Information