Pelicans Report

Thread: Thibodeau, like every game is his last

Thibodeau, like every game is his last

Tom Thibodeau is one of the most successful and respected coaches in the NBA. He loves being in Chicago and coaching a Bulls team that has undergone a renaissance over his tenure over the last five years. So why is there such a widespread belief throughout the league that Thibodeau will be coaching elsewhere next season? Why is there very little hope within the Bulls organization that a reconciliation between Thibodeau, Bulls GM Gar Forman and executive VP John Paxson is possible?

Here is a look back at the most tumultuous times of Thibodeau's reign -- filled with ups and downs that left the Bulls wondering about their future.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...-chicago-bulls

It's a great piece. Will take you 10-15 mins. Plus, watch he video of T-Mac on SportsNation that you can get from that same page.

I don't know, it would just be hard for me to get behind hiring him to be honest. I just don't see the fit
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It's a great piece. Will take you 10-15 mins. Plus, watch he video of T-Mac on SportsNation that you can get from that same page.

I don't know, it would just be hard for me to get behind hiring him to be honest. I just don't see the fit
    This 100%
    I'm a grinder

A more verbal monty

Banned
    I'm sure our rookies will love him if he comes.

Unfortunately I got to hear most of this throughout Thibs' tenure here. I've never questioned his coaching abilities, it was always the extra stuff with Thibs. As much as his name would bring the perception that the Pels are serious about becoming a championship team, I believe there are other coaches out there that will be a better fit.

My biggest concern with thibs is that he is being forced out of a contract because of bad blood with management. I don't know too much about the workings of the Bulls and if it's just a philosophical difference between coach and management, but someone's to blame for the situation.
    I haven't read into thibodeau and what type of person and coach he is very much, but how long until he butts heads with someone at his new job?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    A more verbal monty
    Who wins.

Thibodeau never subscribed to the notion of resting players for the sake of resting them, believing that players prepare themselves for the grind of the season, a lesson he learned, at least in part, from one of his coaching mentors -- Jeff Van Gundy.
    Should we be worried?

Also, i don't want any part of a coach that actually had a player say this of him

"I remember one day we were working out at the Berto Center and Thibs was putting me through a real grueling workout and I told him, 'You know, Thibs? If we weren't winning games, I would really, really hate you.' And he said, 'Trust me, Jo. I feel the same way about you.' "
    I know, you don't have to like your manager or coach to be able to work and obtain results. It's not mandatory. But it sure as hell helps a ton both in the short and especially in the long run imo. The guy seems to be as much the opposite of likable as there is out there. If he weren't to win consistently here and the players got disgrunted quickly, things could turn really ugly.

Didn't Phil and Kobe not get along (but Phil and Shaq did). It depends on the players personality, and how he approaches the game.

I wouldn't be upset if we landed Tibs, JVG, or Hoiberg, they would have me more engaged than if we hired an assistant coach.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    It should be a one year deal with options if it is Thibs. I just don't like the guy. I'm sure this could be used against me later.

If Allen and Conley are healthy I wonder how different the tone of bringing Thibs in becomes.

A banged up Bulls was the only team to take Cleveland to 6 games. A banged up Memphis was the only team to take GS to 6.

Give all parties involved their roster at full strength and I seriously think Memphis advances and the Bulls go to seven. Allen and Conley had basically disrupted the Warriors shooting and the bigs weren't giving them anything easy inside.

Thibs is a zig where everyone else is flooding the market trying to zag. We have great personnel for Thibs and his style of defense would give the Warriors fits if our guys play well in it. It would give anyone fits and given we have more firepower then any of his teams he can likely replicate his 11 and 5 ranked offensive years.

If you tell me tomorrow we can bring in a guy that has proven he can deliver a 5th ranked offense and number 1 ranked defense on teams with inferior talent to yours, I will take that coach every time.

Van Gundy is the only guy that is making a case above Thibs for me still. But then you have also understand that a lot of Van Gundy's success came from Thibs. Who was his defensive assistant in New York and Houston.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-24-2015 at 10:49 AM.

As for the article it is good. I do think they failed to emphasize just how awful the Bulls management was to Thibs. Completely missing the petty high school crap their front office tried to pull by trying to isolate players and privately turn them against Thibs to undermine him. As was reported in local papers.

Which I think goes to show the level of immaturity and unprofessionalism that the Bulls front office has acted wth in regards to their coaches. They didn't exactly paint the front office well but they let them slide on some very important context.

I think we are out of the Thibs running. Sounds like he will sit out this season like Brooks and campaign for the Lakers job after next year.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    It should be a one year deal with options if it is Thibs. I just don't like the guy. I'm sure this could be used against me later.
    Why would any head coach accept a 1 year deal with options?

Thread Information