Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Withey will ever be a solid backup C?

Do you think Withey will ever be a solid backup C?

Strictly just a discussion starter - with Ajinca maybe playing well enough offensively to book his ticket out of town, how far away is Withey from being reliable? What's it come down to? How many more pounds does he need to put on? Or is he a lost cause at this point?

Personally I think he needs to get in the gym with D< put on a solid 10 lbs & stop getting so block crazy on defense. his offense can be passable if he hits the boards hard enough IMO

lets hear your thoughts

Probably not
    SIGN A SF

Eh maybe with a new coach that pushes the pace

I think he can be. He seems to be comfortable shooting his mid range jumper and is usually aggressive when getting the ball around the rim. He is also still a good shot blocker. I'm interested to see what he does under the new coach. I'd like to see Babbit get a little more PT also. His shooting has to be useful in today's NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Kansas used to run, so that's what he's (or used to be) used to. Still needs to hit the weight room tho.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Strictly just a discussion starter - with Ajinca maybe playing well enough offensively to book his ticket out of town, how far away is Withey from being reliable? What's it come down to? How many more pounds does he need to put on? Or is he a lost cause at this point?

Personally I think he needs to get in the gym with D< put on a solid 10 lbs & stop getting so block crazy on defense. his offense can be passable if he hits the boards hard enough IMO

lets hear your thoughts
    When he first came to the Pelicans I thought Withey would be a decent backup C because he has natural shot blocking instincts. Withey can protect the rim when in position. But he hasn't seemed to develop much since getting to the NBA so I am starting to become less optimistic about him taking the next step but not ready to completely write him off yet.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Trade Asik+Withey to LAC for Deandre Jordan. Big improvements for every parties. Withey looks very similar to Omer when he played for Alpella but better offense. If JVG comes to NOLA Withey will get 0.5 minutes per game. Thib is a different story. The biggest waste of last season Withey and Babbitt. I am sure this duo might do much better with a different coach. Do not forget: NOP won 47 games in spite of Monty not because of.

if we get a new coach that know anything about basketball we will not have to worry about withey he will not be on the team along with the other two asik and jrue

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanblaze View Post
    if we get a new coach that know anything about basketball we will not have to worry about withey he will not be on the team along with the other two asik and jrue
    I hope you are not the new coach

Withey needs to get tough; sometimes it takes a couple years to realize that they will bully you in the NBA. Babbitt needs, well. . . has anyone ever dreamed of a Dr. Frankenstein who could attach Luke's shooting skill to Dante Cunningham's overall ability? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanblaze View Post
    Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    I think he can be. He seems to be comfortable shooting his mid range jumper and is usually aggressive when getting the ball around the rim. He is also still a good shot blocker. I'm interested to see what he does under the new coach. I'd like to see Babbit get a little more PT also. His shooting has to be useful in today's NBA.
    Babbit is what he is. He is a very good 3pt shooter but absolutely terrible at everything else. I don't see him even being average in another category. If he's on the floor other than garbage time then that is not a good sign for our bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post

I dunno know about Whitey. IMO he would have to hit the weights obsessively. Cause I just don't see what his game is otherwise. He is aggressive, but aggression without strength isn't going to work.

But in regards to Babbit getting more playing time; I totally agree. Shooting 51% on 3's is pretty damn good. I'd like to see if he could keep it up. If his defense is that bad, I'm sure we could put him in with some guys that can compensate.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Withey is not a good backup. He lacks offense imo and he isn't a good defender. Too many errors out of position a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he will be fine with the minimum contarct and new coach will run more offensive game I see him as a PF/C sitting at the end of the bench.

Couple of weeks ago I will probably write "he knows system". :P

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    If he will be fine with the minimum contarct and new coach will run more offensive game I see him as a PF/C sitting at the end of the bench.

Couple of weeks ago I will probably write "he knows system". :P
    He would probably be the worst PF in the NBA. I don't care what system he is in he will never be a PF unless he miraculously gets quicker and develops a mid range shot. He can be very valuable to us in a suit on a minimum contract. I believe in players working hard and being able to get better but he needs to make huge strides before I want him getting any minutes at all. If he is our back up center we are in trouble.

but if he is a back up of a back up center - I am fine with it
    for a minimum

all of this is a theory- we will know our needs in a while...

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Haven't seen enough of him this past season to even make an assumption as to how he's progressed.

He looked awful last Summer, but there were a few signs during the season that he ready to mix it up. If he added 10-15 lbs of muscle and was consistently tougher, then he could be a legit backup 5. Big enough with good hops so he can protect the rim a little. Decent hands and shooting so you can throw him the ball if he's open. And he gets up and down. Agree that he is much more valuable on a running team. Needs time on the court.

Hey remember that article from December where Withey was due to blow up this year? Yeahhhhhh. He might end up an alright backup. He certainly would be cheap, but personally, I'd like to see Big Pat Young back one more time.

It takes (the words of others, not mine own) centers 3 years to get their bearings down in the NBA. Withey has shown promise less than he has confusion, but with that 3 year rule in mind, let's see how Withey pans out in year 3. I don't want to write him off just yet, but I certainly don't want to go into the offseason where he is our only backup at the 5. Give him competition, but also give him his chance to prove it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by observerII View Post
    Withey needs to get tough; sometimes it takes a couple years to realize that they will bully you in the NBA. Babbitt needs, well. . . has anyone ever dreamed of a Dr. Frankenstein who could attach Luke's shooting skill to Dante Cunningham's overall ability? Wow!
    That would be an awesome player!

I feel like he could be a reasonable back up big in the regular season, which is fine, but once it hits play offs, players get exposed, so i wouldn't rely on him.

So in short, yeah nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

By my count only 7 guys from the second round of the draft were on NBA teams last year. Guess that means he's not doomed quite yet?

Thread Information