Pelicans Report

Thread: Aron White -chandler parsons revisited

Draft Aron White -chandler parsons revisited

CBS's new 2nd round mock draft has all three......' experts' having us take Aaron White 6'9" PF from Iowa. If this would happen I would be ecstatic. He has all the makings of a total 2nd round steal.

1. first of all, he will play SF in the league. Analyst measuring his rebounding and defense are underrating him IMO cause he will play SF.
    2. his 16.4 ppg and 7.3 rpg is better than many of the 1st rounders including Sam Decker
    3. He gets more assists, steals and points than Decker while shooting a much better % from the FT line. They shoot the same % from the field. Only thing Decker has done better is shoot
    the 3,
    but not for long. In fact, White shot a better % this year and is a very mature player devoted to working on his shot. (He made 12 outta 20 in his last 5 games) Ironically, they have the
    exact same height and reach... and actually White out-jumps him. Decker ran a nano-second faster but does not run the court like white does.
    Part of White's efficiency stems from his ability to score in transition, where he's one of the most prolific big men in the NCAA, getting out in the open floor almost three times per
    game, and scoring an outstanding 1.4 points per possession while shooting 73% from the field in these situations
    http://www.draftexpress.com

4. After having watched him I noticed he is a very adept using both hands to dribble, finish and pass. He is a very good athlete. And most importantly he is level-headed (getting married)
    and likely to put in the work.

Only three power forwards in our Top-100 rankings posted a positive assist to turnover ratio last year, and White would be the fourth if he was considered as such. He's a very creative and unselfish passer who can dish the ball off in a variety of situations, be it on post-entries, on drive and kicks, passing ahead in transition, or simply making a smart read within the flow of the offense.

5. Think Chandler Parsons, Many Ginobili, Andrei Kirlenko..... two of which were actually second rounders. At least this article made me think about them

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...sons/27133951/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Not trying to start any mess, but I read an article or a post or something not long ago about how people always compare NBA players to similar players of ethnicity. Always saying a black player is like other black players and white players are like other white players. I had completely forgotten about that until now.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Is he quick enough to guard SFs in the NBA is my question.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Not trying to start any mess, but I read an article or a post or something not long ago about how people always compare NBA players to similar players of ethnicity. Always saying a black player is like other black players and white players are like other white players. I had completely forgotten about that until now.
    Hahaha I have noticed the same thing. I just usually laugh to myself and move on. I think comparing players is a very hard thing to do because every player is different in one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Hahaha I have noticed the same thing. I just usually laugh to myself and move on. I think comparing players is a very hard thing to do because every player is different in one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I try not to look at it comparing one to the other but more so getting a feel of the type of player he is. For instance before today I've never heard of Aaron White, but given some NBA examples if I watch him play I would expect him to look a certain way on the floor. It's not necessarily saying that he is going to be as good as the player he's being compared to.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I try not to look at it comparing one to the other but more so getting a feel of the type of player he is. For instance before today I've never heard of Aaron White, but given some NBA examples if I watch him play I would expect him to look a certain way on the floor. It's not necessarily saying that he is going to be as good as the player he's being compared to.

Well Said.

On NBA and NFL draft sites and magazines, I've always found it immensely helpful to see the NBA/NFL comparison on the guy I'm looking reading about.

It's kinda ludicrous to think of it any other way since the 'bust-rate' is so high.

In regards to White, the author of the article compared White to Parsons ect. White even compared himself to those guys as stated in the article.

The reasons I agree are

1. It's mega-rare to see guys throwing bounce passes to the post, and to cutters in traffic using both hands.
    2. Like Parsons and Manu, I believe White will be a second round GEM
    3. He has mastered a lot of the little things that anyone could do, but most don't do.
    4. He is fundamentally sound in every way there is basically, but isn't strong nor an explosive athlete

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Maybe it was a Name to Ethnicity Correlation?

James Posey??

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...at-next-level/

I would love it if we got this kid. I want a fast, smart and long SF that's going to use his speed to beat everyone down the court out of sheer determination. According to the stats, no forward in college did that better.

I think he will shoot above 35% for his career from the 3pt line too

"
    We knew after 10 days," McCaffery said. "Our new practice facility opened the summer he first got here. He was here 10 days and he'd already gotten 15,000 shots up."
    McCaffery turned White loose from his first season and watched a first-team All-Big Ten player emerge. By the time White was finished, he was the only player in Iowa history to piled up more than 1,800 points and 900 rebounds. This season, White was the only player in Division I to average at least 16 points and seven rebounds while shooting better than 50 percent from the field and 80 percent from the free-throw line.
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 05-28-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Work Ethic is what makes players to a certain extent.

The last three 1st rounders from LSU

Stromile Swift
    Tyrus Thomas
    Anthony Randolph

Guaranteed money?

The 2nd rounders

Glen Davis
    Brandon Bass
    Collis Temple
    Marcus Thorton
    Justin Hamilton
    Had to Hustle

I tell ya, the intangibles are all there. We have wanted a lengthy SF that can shoot. Check.

And if we want to run... he's our man.

And if we want to up our basketball IQ.... he's our man in the 2nd round. Like I said....better than Decker

Best true shooting percentages among potential draftees

Delon Wright

Aaron Wright

Frank Kamisky

Aaron White has the highest 'points per play' among all players in the Top 100

Out of the Top 100 only RJ Hunter makes more FT's a game, while White gets fouled the most per game

he's in turn established himself as one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball, posting a gaudy 66% True Shooting percentage, which would rate first overall among all returning college basketball players in our Top-100 prospect rankings.

From DraftExpress.com

Part of White's efficiency stems from his ability to score in transition, where he's one of the most prolific big men in the NCAA, getting out in the open floor almost three times per game, and scoring an outstanding 1.4 points per possession while shooting 73% from the field in these situations.

A very good athlete at 6-9, White runs the floor extremely well, sprinting the court with excellent speed and regularly beating opposing big men for easy baskets. He's also capable of grabbing a rebounding and igniting the break on his own, showing strong ball-handling skills and the ability to make good decision

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3bUqsAi00

Jrue
    Gordon
    Aaron White, Thaddeus
    AD, Thaddeus
    Chandler, Davis

Thread Information