Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Source close to Gentry says "VERY INTERESTED"

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    so wait... Jeff Van Gundy VERY INTERESTED and Gentry is VERY INTERESTED? Who's more interested?

I say they play a game of 1 on 1. Winner gets the job. All proceeds go to charity. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!! (pels hc)

EDIT: on second thought a battle royal may be a better option. My money is on Hoidberg. He has the claw attack and an ink defense. Obviously the favorite to win the Battle Royal.

Why did Gentry get booted from his most recent head coaching job? Wasn't it with Phoenx? Sometimes the NBA haze gets to me.

What I am surprised nobody is doing is asking themselves what Dell has been doing since Monday night. Not one report of him talking to any candidates in 3 days. Do people think he is sitting on his hands?

Curious as to what you guys think he has been doing and who he might have been talking to
    @mcnamara247

Someone that doesn't leak info to the media

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What I am surprised nobody is doing is asking themselves what Dell has been doing since Monday night. Not one report of him talking to any candidates in 3 days. Do people think he is sitting on his hands?

Curious as to what you guys think he has been doing and who he might have been talking to
    I have been asking myself that and I'm sure he has been talking to candidates. I'm just sitting back waiting for the Pelicans to release some information. Tired of the rumors from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    I have been asking myself that and I'm sure he has been talking to candidates. I'm just sitting back waiting for the Pelicans to release some information. Tired of the rumors from other sources.
    Don't hold your breath. Loomis has his hands on this, and if you know anything about that guy then we won't hear anything until a hire is made.

Pelicans aren't going to release any information on who they are talking to. The leaks come from the ones being interviewed. So the question you have to ask yourself is:

Who could Dell be talking to that wouldn't want their name out there, in the event they don't get the job?

Pelicans aren't going to release any information on who they are talking to. The leaks come from the ones being interviewed. So the question you have to ask yourself is:

Who could Dell be talking to that wouldn't want their name out there, in the event they don't get the job?
    I'll admit I don't have a clue. If almost everyone interviewed has had it leaked, why would someone prefer NOT having it leaked at all? I should probably go to bed, way too late to think extensively about it for me

Odesláno Tapatalkem za použitÃ** mojÃ** vlastnÃ** želvy

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Then what can you hold against anyone? He has had something like 700 games as a head coach.
    Sorry, but I'm not willing to completely dismiss context when evaluating coaches. In the NBA, the origination and the players you're coaching are relevant considerations.

Folks dreaded Avery Johnson, yet the only coach to get to 100 wins faster than Avery is Thibs (by one game)! But in Avery's favor, he's coached a team to a finals appearance, something Thibs has yet to do, and Avery actually had a much higher win% as coach of the Mavs than Thibs has with Chicago.

Context clearly matters. Avery took over a 12-70 Nets team with little talent, doubled their wins, then had the lockout, then got fired 28 games into year 3 after a .500 start to the season.

I'm being somewhat facetious, but how do we know Thibs is any better than Avert Johnson? Or Scott Brooks.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Obviously college coaches.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I love the silence. It means the Pels are focused on non-retreads and coaches still coaching. Most likely they haven't gotten permission to speak with Atkinson and possibly Lue. It also means that have not engaged Chicago in talks for Thibs, which could still leave open the door for Hoiberg, too. I wouldn't rule out JVG, either. He's hinted that if he's involved he would handle it respectfully, which means no leaks. Scott Brooks was told he was not gonna be considered, hence the "year off" mumbo jumbo.

All good signs here, folks.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Or have they even gotten permission to interview? Gentry is older, more seasoned, and theoretically should be able to handle juggling the responsibility, his team is also the presumptive favorite in their series. It is not unreasonable to think that the Hawks and Cavs are not ready to let their assistants turn their attention to interviewing right now. If I am not mistaking both Atkinson and Lue are lead assistants, no?

Also, if JVG is involved he's not gonna run his mouth.

That's 4 right there, including Gentry.

I don't think we are against college coaches, but it seems like they are not priority #1 right now. Too many people connected to these programs for stuff not to leak.

Clearly, Phil Jackson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Sean Miller

Jay Wright

Scott Drew

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Don't hold your breath. Loomis has his hands on this, and if you know anything about that guy then we won't hear anything until a hire is made.
    So I'm saying at this point, I'm waiting for the official announcement about our new coach.

However, I think he has had conversations with many of the candidates mentioned around here.

Would have to be one of the college coaches. They wouldn't want their name out there for recruiting purposes...Hoiberg, Miller, Cal......or Izzo (I can dream).

Or maybe someone that is currently a headcoach in the NBA ....Carlisle or maybe POP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArronRx View Post
    Would have to be one of the college coaches. They wouldn't want their name out there for recruiting purposes...Hoiberg, Miller, Cal......or Izzo (I can dream).

Or maybe someone that is currently a headcoach in the NBA ....Carlisle or maybe POP!!!!!
    Love the humor! Yeah, Popovich, that's the guy! He's definitely in the running; so is Charles Barkley!

Contracted college coaches, NBA assistant coaches, contracted NBA coaches and maybe potentially they already have the nod from their guy and Dell is gathering assistant coaches.

Maybe one of the current assistant coaches we have gets the top job?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If the interviewee has something to lose if they don't get the job, maybe it's someone in a solid job that people wouldn't assume is interested.

Who are some other prominent college coaches that might be ready to make the leap?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not willing to completely dismiss context when evaluating coaches. In the NBA, the origination and the players you're coaching are relevant considerations.

Folks dreaded Avery Johnson, yet the only coach to get to 100 wins faster than Avery is Thibs (by one game)! But in Avery's favor, he's coached a team to a finals appearance, something Thibs has yet to do, and Avery actually had a much higher win% as coach of the Mavs than Thibs has with Chicago.

Context clearly matters. Avery took over a 12-70 Nets team with little talent, doubled their wins, then had the lockout, then got fired 28 games into year 3 after a .500 start to the season.

I'm being somewhat facetious, but how do we know Thibs is any better than Avert Johnson? Or Scott Brooks.
    I can agree to an extent. However, at this point in his career, I am not willing to simply dismiss his track record. He is what he is at this point. He has had 700 games to prove he is an elite head coach. I think he is a fantastic assistant coach, but not sure he is a top head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    So I'm saying at this point, I'm waiting for the official announcement about our new coach.

However, I think he has had conversations with many of the candidates mentioned around here.
    You'd think that he has talked to some folks unless they have a specific list of candidates that they're eying. I can't imagine they'd be interviewing people willy-nilly... they've probably talked to or at least reached out to all of the guys that they have on their list.

You read leaks about coaches that have reached out to the Pels (Coach Cal) but the only person we KNOW they've talked to is Gentry, and they traveled to Cali to talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    You'd think that he has talked to some folks unless they have a specific list of candidates that they're eying. I can't imagine they'd be interviewing people willy-nilly... they've probably talked to or at least reached out to all of the guys that they have on their list.

You read leaks about coaches that have reached out to the Pels (Coach Cal) but the only person we KNOW they've talked to is Gentry, and they traveled to Cali to talk to him.
    For the 100th time they had owner meetings right there in San Francisco. He was a coach on their list who was about to start the WC Finals series and simply interviewed him while they were in town. They traveled nowhere to meet him it just happened to work out that they had to be in town.

Dell has to receive permission to talk with any coaches under contract. Any coaches without contracts (apart from maybe Malone) will send the infos to press.
    I am curious if he had received such a with Atkinson.

You all guys know how he works. In silence. And than strikes.

See Lopez/Anderson/Evans/Holiday/Asik/QPon/Williams
    there were no whispers. just news.

see that happening in our coaching search. hopefully with the home run

Thread Information