Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 7 coaching wish list

I would be happy with either JVG or Atkinson I would love to see what he could do with Tyreke. Maybe he's the one who can finally unlock his potential and become the player he was supposed to be.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Kenny Atkinson is now number 1 for me. Damn you MM!
    My bad!

Seriously, though, he has been #2 on my list for about 3 months now. I love the possibility. My lone concern is what kind of staff he can put together. If he could get some quality guys around him, he has no chance of failing IMO
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My bad!

Seriously, though, he has been #2 on my list for about 3 months now. I love the possibility. My lone concern is what kind of staff he can put together. If he could get some quality guys around him, he has no chance of failing IMO
    could you see Mike Malone takings a one year lead assistant role? If he doesn't like any other openings or doesn't get any HC offers?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    could you see Mike Malone takings a one year lead assistant role? If he doesn't like any other openings or doesn't get any HC offers?
    I have addressed this a couple times, and it's just my pure opinion, but I can't imagine him doing that.

1. He would make less money. Getting paid now as a coach. If he takes an assistant role, he makes only that salary - which will likely be less.

2. You don't take a step backward in two ways in ANY profession - he would not only be going back to an old position, but he'd be going back to an old place of employment.

I think he will be an assistant in a yr or two if he doesn't get a HC job. But it won't be here IMO

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Just wondering what people think about their wish list of coaches they want. I would be happy with a variety of coaches and will support whoever it is either way but I have my favorite of course.

4 1. Fred Hoiberg

3. 2. Jeff Van Gundy

5. 3. John Calipari

7. 4. Kenny Atkinson

1. 5. Sean Miller

2. 6. Tom Thibodeau

67. Alvin Gentry

Here's mine

1- Jeff VG
    2- Alvin Gentry
    3- Mike D'Antoni
    4- Scott Brooks
    5- Mike Malone
    6- Tom Thibodeau
    7- Fred Hoiberg Simply because of his health.
    Last edited by Davisistheman; 05-21-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Aww, shoot, I might as well go on record.

1. Hoiberg
    2. Atkinson
    3. Miller
    4. Van Gundy
    5. Messina
    6. Malone
    7. Gentry
    8. Thibs

I can actually go to 10 with guys I would be fine with. Avoid Mark Jackson, and I will be a happy man. Just depends on the degree of happiness.

Here's my question. Take all the available candidates, and then throw Monty in the mix. For this thought experiment, let's imagine Monty had a very similar HC experience somewhere else, and now he is free on the open market.

Where would he rank?

Here's my question. Take all the available candidates, and then throw Monty in the mix. For this thought experiment, let's imagine Monty had a very similar HC experience somewhere else, and now he is free on the open market.

Where would he rank?
    He would be in the same position as Marc Jackson but lower based on his Resume. Maybe #15
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    1- Jeff VG
    2- Alvin Gentry
    3- Mike D'Antonio
    4- Scott Brooks
    5- Mike Malone
    6- Tom Thibodeau
    7- Fred Hoiberg Simply because of his health.

I have seen a lot of people spell D'Antoni's name wrong. Adding an 'o' on the end, usually.

Hard to believe you love the guy, if you don't know his name. I don't know if anybody feels the same way, but I am just saying.

I have seen a lot of people spell D'Antoni's name wrong. Adding an 'o' on the end, usually.

Hard to believe you love the guy, if you don't know his name. I don't know if anybody feels the same way, but I am just saying.
    I don't love the guy, but I do think he could have a lot of success with the roster we have. Just need a defensive Guru as an assistant.

Throw in the fact that New Orleans, Orlando, Denver, OKC and Chicago also looking for coaches, this makes speculation harder.

But didn't your corrector seem not to like at all hoidberg as much as you did? That alone should be quite something...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    But didn't your corrector seem not to like at all hoidberg as much as you did? That alone should be quite something...

haha yeah come on MM, you can't be dropping the ball on your editing and then pulling others up :P

back to the question on Monty. if we say he had the same experience but just at another organisation I think people would be crediting his player development, being well liked, 8th offense but highlighting his defense. He would be defended for his poor years due to the players he had, with argument that when he had decent rosters he went to the playoffs (in the tough west). I also think we would see people arguing "but he never got the players he wanted, imagine if he had a GM that supported him 100% with roster for his system". I don't think he would crack top 5 due to his pace and style of offense not being that attractive. I think he would be 6-10 in quite a few peoples top 10, with personal preferences in mind. I don't see how he would be any different to the likes of Thibs, Malone, Gentry or Brooks. Note don't bother arguing with me about coaching record only, I'm thinking beyond that (looking at you bronco ) We like to build people up we like and gloss over their negatives a bit here in these conversations on potential coaches. I'd think we would probably see a similar comments "if he got X as his assistant I'd take def take him" or "do you think he would be assistant with x".

Anyone notice that this playoffs has 3 first year HCs? 1 from Europe with no NBA experience, 1 an assistant behind Pop with no HC experience, and one with no coaching experience at all. I think people being afraid of getting someone unproven in a little ridiculous and this right here throws them at theory right out the window.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Anyone notice that this playoffs has 3 first year HCs? 1 from Europe with no NBA experience, 1 an assistant behind Pop with no HC experience, and one with no coaching experience at all. I think people being afraid of getting someone unproven in a little ridiculous and this right here throws them at theory right out the window.
    Who's the head coach from Europe ? LeBron Cousteau?

1-Hoiberg
    2- Atkinson
    3-Miller
    4-Few
    5-JVG
    6-Messina
    7-Gentry

Ok let's do this :

1- JVG (only flaw; may clash with Dell. But in what world is it smart to keep a GM that prevents you to pick the best coach available ?)
    2- Malone (Young, already know the organization and the NBA, great defensive mind and beloved by his players)
    3- Miller (Can relate with his player, coached great teams on defense and pretty fluid offense)
    4- Thibodeaux (top notch defensive coach, proven winner)
    5- Tony Benett (Just imagine how great this team could be defensively with him.)
    6- Ettore Messina (European flair, my biggest problem is that I don't know if he would mesh well with young american players)
    7- Atkinson (Seems a pretty legit candidate, I just fear his lack of efficient defensive system)

Also I have a question since a lot of people seems to think it's easy to get a top notch defensive assistant coach : could someone tell me 5 names of such coaches that would be available to become ours ? And please, don't start to speak about former head coaches like Malone, it won't happen.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-21-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Why are these lists stopping at 7 or 10, and not 20, or 35?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

there are also mistakes with Calipari (see Calapari)

MM - I am little surprised with Your No4 - JVG
    Apart from this we have the same list

If you go looking into spelling mistakes with names and surnames, even laughably easy ones (hello saintsreport and your damn vacarro fixation) in US boards, you won't have time for anything else. No offense to all involved but god, i never understood the difficulty of learning a simple surname.

Btw pawel, i should really thank poland immensely for andrzej sapkowski i'm loving to death his books (and i still can't believe the last one will be out only in january 2016....ugh!) and the games that also came out of it are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Btw pawel, i should really thank poland immensely for andrzej sapkowski i'm loving to death his books (and i still can't believe the last one will be out only in january 2016....ugh!) and the games that also came out of it are amazing
    all of young Polish people can tell You everything about himself. it is a legend. yeah and this is probably the best words
    not to make much off-topic here (Sapkowski is an author of fantasy saga Witcher - based on which a famous computer game was created)

spelling mistakes occur everywhere
    some are simple, and some with harder names like Antetokounmpo
    Last edited by pawel; 05-22-2015 at 06:28 AM.

1. Hoiberg
    2. Miller
    3. Atkinson
    4. Van Gundy
    5. Messina
    6. Malone
    7. Ollie
    8. Gentry
    9. Thibs
    10. D'Antoni
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 05-22-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    1. Hoiberg
    2. Miller
    3. Atkinson
    4. Van Gundy
    5. Messina
    6. Malone
    7. Ollie
    8. Gentry
    9. Thibs
    10. D'Antoni
    Why wouldn't Jay Wright be on this list?

Thread Information