Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He lives in Houston
    53 minute flight!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

He lives in Houston
    I'm pretty sure New Orleans has some houses for rent/sale if he accepted the job.

The best thing about Jeff is that he doesn't have a philosophy. He coaches towards the roster he has instead of making square pieces fir in circles like Monty.
    News Flash!!! Every coach has a philosophy. lol

I was team Miller or Atkinson but I think I may be leaning more towards JVG now after reading more about him.

I'd still rather zoidberg but heh, jvg wouldn't be nothing to scoff at

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't get the Marc Jackson hate. And I'm not sure why a career coach is only "OK" because of one year around Steve Kerr. Gentry, in his own right, is possibly as much responsible for Golden State's success as Kerr, IMHO. The defensive system is apparently Malone's (no credit to Marc Jackson) and the offensive system is supposedly Gentry's.
    How about the system is Steve Kerrs. Jackson and Malone are not there. It's not like they left a playbook and calendar of how to practice and what to do everyday. The Jackson issue with getting credit is so overblown and doesn't make any sense. I don't think Monty deserves credit for us if we turn out great next year. I don't think Brooks deserves the credit if Donovan ends up with a championship. They deserve credit for their coaching job when they were there but not the credit when they have nothing to do with the coaching of that team. The NBA is too tough to just win and get by as an average coach because of the guy before you. Especially in Kerrs position winning 67 games with a team in th WC Finals. People seem to want to give Jackson more credit for this teams success than Kerr and it just makes no sense.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-20-2015 at 06:17 PM.

One thing I like about JVG is he has had the time off and has been studying coaches all around the NBA visiting different teams being a broadcaster. He has been able to sit back and learn things to implement in a system he can build around his team. He strikes me as the person that is willing to adapt and build is system and philosophy around his particular team. I think his time off being so close to the NBA still while stealing little things from all the great minds around the league makes him a much more attractive coaching candidate then I think he was before. I would love to have him as our next coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    One thing I like about JVG is he has had the time off and has been studying coaches all around the NBA visiting different teams being a broadcaster. He has been able to sit back and learn things to implement in a system he can build around his team. He strikes me as the person that is willing to adapt and build is system and philosophy around his particular team. I think his time off being so close to the NBA still while stealing little things from all the great minds around the league makes him a much more attractive coaching candidate then I think he was before. I would love to have him as our next coach.
    I very much agree. Plus I think his connections will allow him to land some top assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I very much agree. Plus I think his connections will allow him to land some top assistants.
    Yea true I never thought about that. He seems to have a connection with every coach in the NBA. When he is broadcasting he is always talking about this or that assistant. Seems like he is very well respected by a lot of coaches and would be able to put together a top notch staff.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't get the Marc Jackson hate. And I'm not sure why a career coach is only "OK" because of one year around Steve Kerr. Gentry, in his own right, is possibly as much responsible for Golden State's success as Kerr, IMHO. The defensive system is apparently Malone's (no credit to Marc Jackson) and the offensive system is supposedly Gentry's.
    Living in San Francisco, I got enough soundbites of him to know that he's not a top coach and I'm not even sure he's average. He alienated the front office and his entire 'system' was based on being tough. He wouldn't design the last second plays and he never that I can recall made a comment about the Xs and Os of the game. I'm sure that a year off has done him well, but from what I've seen in the Bay Area, I don't want him around the Pelicans. As for Gentry, he may very well be the best coach available cause with coaching it's not like any of us know what we're talking about.

And this is all relative. Relative to Ollie and JVG and the others, Gentry doesn't excite me. The others excite me which is all I have to go on. I'll fully admit that I have no idea who is a good coach and a bad coach. But I do feel most comfortable discussing Marc Jackson since I listen to sports radio here often and if anyone resembles Ditka in this group, it's Jackson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    How about the system is Steve Kerrs. Jackson and Malone are not there. It's not like they left a playbook and calendar of how to practice and what to do everyday. The Jackson issue with getting credit is so overblown and doesn't make any sense. I don't think Monty deserves credit for us if we turn out great next year. I don't think Brooks deserves the credit if Donovan ends up with a championship. They deserve credit for their coaching job when they were there but not the credit when they have nothing to do with the coaching of that team. The NBA is too tough to just win and get by as an average coach because of the guy before you. Especially in Kerrs position winning 67 games with a team in th WC Finals. People seem to want to give Jackson more credit for this teams success than Kerr and it just makes no sense.
    I don't want to gov Jackson, Malone, or Gentry more credit than Kerr. But I do want to give them the credit that is due them. I was specifically responding to someone saying that somehow Kerr, a 1st year HC, validated Gentry as a candidate. When as a HC, Gentry has taken a team as far as Kerr has. And Mark Jackson deserves credit for doing a more than credible job with the GSW team during his tenure. I don't understand why people think he'd be the worst hire possible. Too much hate, imho.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Ah, I see where you're coming from. I want to add this: before Kerr was coach of the Warriors, I'd heard him say on multiple basketball podcasts + interviews that the game in the NBA was evolving and that it was important for coaches to see this. He made mention of passing being far more important than in the past and that giving a defense the chance to set themselves was a mistake. He mentioned the ball being able to move quicker than any one person. I don't so much care about the ideas themselves as much as I care about Kerr being open to discussing the evolution of basketball. So when I said it was a plus that Gentry was around Kerr, it was simply that he was around a coach who was open to discussing the evolution of basketball and the opinions of where basketball is headed.

I'll support whoever we choose as coach, but my preference would be someone who is open to these types of discussions.

JVG's demands will be too high for the Pels. There is no way DD hires JVG. Van Gundy will recommend Thibs for the job.

On the day that Monty was fired, JVG was on the Zach Lowe podcast and Lowe flat-out asked him if he'd be interested in the Pels job. JVG said that he would never promote himself for a coaching job on a day that a friend of his (Monty) lost his job. He said that's not the type of guy he is. What he DID say was that anyone one with coaching ambitions would have to consider a playoff team with Anthony Davis on it. But he never said, "no." And he never said something like, "I have the gig that I like." I had always assumed that he was the NBA's version of Jon Gruden. But when I heard him, it seemed pretty clear he would, in fact, consider the Pels coaching job, and he was just being classy about it.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

If you go back the last two years, he responded the same way regarding the Nets, Memphis, Clippers and every other coaching vacancies. The best candidate is on cable tonight IMO. His system is tailored made for the Pels. The Hawks are doing more with less.

I had a dream last night that we hired Sean miller , I also had a dream years ago that we got Ryan Anderson before we acquired him, and any rumours became about him, so trust my dream
    Lol

I cannot see Demps hiring JVG. JVG will want full control of the roster.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I had a dream last night that we hired Sean miller , I also had a dream years ago that we got Ryan Anderson before we acquired him, and any rumours became about him, so trust my dream
    Lol
    Do me a solid and dream that I either win the PowerBall or become a big time voice talent.

When it happens, I'll promise you life time season tickets.

I would be really happy with JVG. I always liked his teams and him. I also think broadcasting may help make these guys become better coaches. They get to see a lot of different teams close up, by they have the big picture perspective that is hard to get if you are engrossed in coaching your team.

Look at the successes coming out of the TNT booth: Kerr, Mark Jackson, Hubie Brown. Only Doug Collins did poorly, and he was a cruddy color commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He and Sean Miller were the first two names I heard who were aggressively pursuing the job last week
    Honestly, if that's true (not questioning you or your source but more the fluid nature of rumours), I don't see any reason not to chose Van Gundy.

He's a great and successful coach, experienced but still young, very liked by his players, it would also be a major move to show to AD how serious this organization is about winning a title and he wants to be there. In my opinion, if the only obstacle is Demps, fire him and give the full power to the coach.

My top 5

1. Hoiberg

2. JVG

3. Atkinson

4. Gentry

5. Miller

Also if JVG demands for front office control I say pass on him. Coaches should just coach, you can't have time scouting teams, player development, and build an offense and defense then turnaround and try to build a team. When guys get that much control it never works out.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 05-21-2015 at 12:19 AM.

1-6

A little ridiculous to think Demps will get fired when he's making the call on the coach haha. I bet that's exactly what he wants to do is go hire a coach who wants full control basically firing himself. I don't see why it is so hard for people to understand that a lot of these coaches would probably love to come in and work with someone like Demps. JVG of all people would probably really value having someone like him in the front office who is a tireless worker and very good talent evaluator. Very few coaches in the NBA have full control. Hell Phil Jackson didn't even have full control. I think Dell is a perfect fit for coaches who want to come in and actually coach while having someone in the front office they can work with and have input on things seeing eye to eye for the most part. I think whoever comes in will have a very similiar working relationship as Payton and Loomis with both having control and input making decisions. Loomis handles all of the scouting and contracts while Payton lets him know what he's looking for with some final say on bringing in this or that guy.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-21-2015 at 12:33 AM.

My top 5

1. Hoiberg

2. JVG

3. Atkinson

4. Gentry

5. Miller

Also if JVG demands for front office control I say pass on him. Coaches should just coach, you can't have time scouting teams, player development, and build an offense and defense then turnaround and try to build a team. When guys get that much control it never works out.

This is exactly what I think about the coaching situation. I don't think JVG is some guy on a power trip that wants full control. All coaches want say on players and other things. When a coach wants full control it doesn't usually mean they are doing the GMs job it's just that they get to hire a GM to do the job they see eye to eye with. I have no reason to think that JVG or any other high profile coach wouldn't think Demps could be that guy when he's the one who is bringing them in for the hire. If he likes them enough to make the hire then they both obviously will have a good working relationship and see eye to eye. If JVG or anyone else doesn't see it that way then it's simple they won't be the coach.

I like you list being very close to what I want.

1. Hoiberg
    2. JVG
    3. Calipari
    4. Atkinson
    5. Miller
    6. Gentry/Thibs
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-21-2015 at 12:30 AM.

This is exactly what I think about the coaching situation. I don't think JVG is some guy on a power trip that wants full control. All coaches want say on players and other things. When a coach wants full control it doesn't usually mean they are doing the GMs job it's just that they get to hire a GM to do the job they see eye to eye with. I have no reason to think that JVG or any other high profile coach wouldn't think Demps could be that guy when he's the one who is bringing them in for the hire. If he likes them enough to make the hire then they both obviously will have a good working relationship and see eye to eye. If JVG or anyone else doesn't see it that way then it's simple they won't be the coach.

I like you list being very close to what I want.

1. Hoiberg
    2. JVG
    3. Calipari
    4. Atkinson
    5. Miller
    6. Gentry/Thibs
    Like how Doc is the GM with the Clippers. He just came and brought all old players he used to coach and his son and created a terrible bench while trading away every pick they had.

Thread Information