Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Jeff on the type on offense he likes to run, the more I read up on Jeff the more I want him. He is just a basketball genius like in his video he said the pace is determined on personnel. I'm sure he will see this roster and Dell will talk to him about pace and he will have no problem with a faster pace. I'm sure he will also get some of the top assistants in the NBA. I like Hoiberg and Atikson but those guys are huge unknowns and will have a learning curve. I want someone to come in and teach our guys how to play ball the right way like they've never been taught and demand the most out of them on the court.

Yeah I was never the biggest JVG fan until I have dug deeper into him.

Frankly he is emerging as my top guy right now.

He has had sustained success. He seems to understand and grasp how to build the right staff. How to build a good defense and has the one thing so many coaches seem to lack: flexibility. That video sums up a lot of what I like about him. Unlike his brother he isn't looking to re-create the same system everywhere or try and repeat past succes, he reminds me a lot of Pop in how he approaches the game. He builds his team based off the roster and talent he has and is extremely privy and open minded to new ways of doing things.

I never realized just how smart he was(I knew he was but kind of thought he was just gig talker) that watching his reffing rants on tv but the guy is a sharp basketball mind.

As for JVG and not going up tempo. He is the guy who was quoted saying " the warriors have an unreal offense" proclaiming they might not lose more then 1 game all playoffs if they execute well.

He has been in love with their offensive execution all season. For a guy that seemingly is very flexible and up to date on the game, I would be shocked if we hired JVG and he looked at our talent, looked at AD and then tried to implement a primarily slow paced, half court offense.

People also forget the context of JVG's tenure. He last coached in 06-07. With Yao Ming and Tracy Mcgrady as centerpieces. D'Antoni style offense pace was still a young thing in its infancy. Pop was running an even slower paced team still(27 in pace compared to JVG's 20).

Some coaches, your Byron Scott's, they don't adapt with the times, but there is no reason to assume that guys that have been historically flexible and have shown a willingness to adapt like you JVG's and Pop's should be judged on their likely future system based on their system 10 years ago with different players and without historical context.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-23-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    As for JVG and not going up tempo. He is the guy who was quoted saying " the warriors have an unreal offense" proclaiming they might not lose more then 1 game all playoffs if they execute well.

He has been in love with their offensive execution all season. For a guy that seemingly is very flexible and up to date on the game, I would be shocked if we hired JVG and he looked at our talent, looked at AD and then tried to implement a primarily slow paced, half court offense.
    It's not about good vs terrible, though. I think he would implement a 12th-15th ranked pace. But other guys would implement a top 5 pace.

You put him in Houston now, and they aren't playing a snail's pace, but they aren't playing THIS pace.

Van Gundy is great. Having other guys ahead of him is not a diss to him. Just like I have other guys ahead of AD right now when you ask me who the best planet on the planet is.

Pace is not the be all, end all, but I think it matters to Dell
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It's not about good vs terrible, though. I think he would implement a 12th-15th ranked pace. But other guys would implement a top 5 pace.

You put him in Houston now, and they aren't playing a snail's pace, but they aren't playing THIS pace.

Van Gundy is great. Having other guys ahead of him is not a diss to him. Just like I have other guys ahead of AD right now when you ask me who the best planet on the planet is.

But what makes you assume that? At this point it is literally all speculation. On the one hand we have JVG praising the Warriors offense and stating his philosophy is essentially built on certain core fundamentals but adapting to the talent he has to maximize them.

To me I have zero reason to believe he is going to automatically land in one tier or the other. And I would frankly be more inclined to believe if we ended up in the 10-15th pace(around SA's pace) that the reason was more to do with what he found optimally effective and less to do with him not being capable or willing to go faster.

That would put us with the Clippers, Spurs, and Hawks and that would be fine by me. We don't need to be like the rockets and Warriors and just running up and down court chucking 3's we don't have those type of guys.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    That would put us with the Clippers, Spurs, and Hawks and that would be fine by me. We don't need to be like the rockets and Warriors and just running up and down court chucking 3's we don't have those type of guys.
    Again, I have no issues with Van Gundy. He would be a huge upgrade.

He's not the #1 guy on my list, but he's still very high

Jimmy Smith just endorsed JVG. He is no longer #1 on my list.

Sarcastically saying, if JVG is a candidate, Lenny Wilkins should be one as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Jimmy Smith just endorsed JVG. He is no longer #1 on my list.
    LMAO.

That paper is setting Demps up no matter what direction he goes in. Please, if you know people that read that paper, do your best to educate them on the truth. I don't want to go into detail here, but they have an agenda and are firmly anti-Demps. The game is rigged no matter what he does. And that negativity spills over when people only get their info from there. Please, please, please do your civic duty and educate fellow Pels fans.

That is all.

LMAO.

That paper is setting Demps up no matter what direction he goes in. Please, if you know people that read that paper, do your best to educate them on the truth. I don't want to go into detail here, but they have an agenda and are firmly anti-Demps. The game is rigged no matter what he does. And that negativity spills over when people only get their info from there. Please, please, please do your civic duty and educate fellow Pels fans.

That is all.
    Smith seems to have a particular hard on of hate for Demps.

I pretty much disagree with whatever he says so, I don't read.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post

Yeah. Smith wrote the ridiculous piece that we failed at the trade deadline because while OKC was adding pieces, we only got Cole. He looks foolish for that article on several fronts now. At the time, I thought it was stupid because it indicated we should be trying to win now, rather than hanging tight for the future (as if we would have competed for a chamionship this season with other moves). Now, the OKC team he lauded for their moves missed the playoffs, and Cole turned into a nice little piece all for the price of John Salmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post

Yeah, I wish I could get into more detail, but you just gotta trust me when I tell you they have an agenda and the Pels know about it.

The sad thing is that casual fans go to them and them alone as a source and they outweigh us hardcore fans. We gotta change that. And I am not saying send them all to BSS. Bird Writes, The Advocate, and Pelican Debrief are all good too. There is one lone weak spot

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Yeah, I wish I could get into more detail, but you just gotta trust me when I tell you they have an agenda and the Pels know about it.

The sad thing is that casual fans go to them and them alone as a source and they outweigh us hardcore fans. We gotta change that. And I am not saying send them all to BSS. Bird Writes, The Advocate, and Pelican Debrief are all good too. There is one lone weak spot
    I'll be honest, I work Monday-Thursday and while I am at work I post on nola.com, not because I want to but because it's the only access to discuss the team I have. All the sites you mentioned above, including this one, are blocked on my work computer. I can get on the Advocates site, but as far as I can tell they don't have any discussion on there. Nola.com is the only site that is not blocked. That's obviously not the issue here, but if I have that problem I have to assume I'm not the only one.

MM. Does it have something to do with Benson choosing to make the Advocate the official paper for the Saints and Pelicans after they rebuffed his bid to purchase them?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    MM. Does it have something to do with Benson choosing to make the Advocate the official paper for the Saints and Pelicans after they rebuffed his bid to purchase them?
    That salt vein runs SUPER deep, my man.

So much salt...

I have been very disappointed in Saints coverage too since Bounty Gate but they now have a good Saints beat reporter in Holder. My Pel knowledge used to mostly come from TP and GV. Thank goodness for GV then.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    You know, that would explain a lot about why Jeff Duncan always seems to do hatchet jobs on the team as well.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    my latest take on things is this.... I personally don't think Hoiberg comes here for one reason or another, and with that said, I am writing him off (right/wrong or better/worse).... following this line of thinking, that narrows my short wishlist to two, with those being Van Gundy and Atkinson.... one firmly established and a well known commodity, while the other being the fast rising newcomer to NBA head coaching circles.... I wouldn't be totally disappointed in either (although I do have a soft spot for the experience factor), but I sit here and wonder who would be able to surround themselves with the strongest staff and support cast.... it could come down to that for me....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I'm at a point of idc whether he's a name or not a name I just want us to hire a coach so we can get things rolling

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    my latest take on things is this.... I personally don't think Hoiberg comes here for one reason or another, and with that said, I am writing him off (right/wrong or better/worse).... following this line of thinking, that narrows my short wishlist to two, with those being Van Gundy and Atkinson.... one firmly established and a well known commodity, while the other being the fast rising newcomer to NBA head coaching circles.... I wouldn't be totally disappointed in either (although I do have a soft spot for the experience factor), but I sit here and wonder who would be able to surround themselves with the strongest staff and support cast.... it could come down to that for me....
    And to me the person that can recruit that staff is JVG. I believe he can be our bump coach that takes us to a contender. 55+ wins with him imo

But does JVG bring in his own medical staff and get us a healthy squad? #realtalk

Dell and Loomis has only (reportedly) interviewed Gentry... every other potential candidate falls into 1 of these 3 categories...

1) Express interest in coaching the Pelicans (Coach Cal, JVG)
    2) Forum favorites (Hoiberg, Akinson, Sean Miller, Shaka Smart)
    3) Media speculation (Tom Thibs)

To me this sounds like Dell wants Gentry. I don't know if there's any truth in the rumor that Loomis wants JVG, but if Loomis will be the person making this decision why is Dell still on the payroll? If I'm Dell Demps, and I'm in the last year of my contract, then either Loomis should let me pick my own coach, or fire me.

I don't know for sure who else we have talked to, but I think once the dust settles Gentry will be our next head coach. JMO. I don't have a "favorite" or a "list".

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Dell and Loomis has only (reportedly) interviewed Gentry... every other potential candidate falls into 1 of these 3 categories...

1) Express interest in coaching the Pelicans (Coach Cal, JVG)
    2) Forum favorites (Hoiberg, Akinson, Sean Miller, Shaka Smart)
    3) Media speculation (Tom Thibs)

To me this sounds like Dell wants Gentry. I don't know if there's any truth in the rumor that Loomis wants JVG, but if Loomis will be the person making this decision why is Dell still on the payroll? If I'm Dell Demps, and I'm in the last year of my contract, then either Loomis should let me pick my own coach, or fire me.

I don't know for sure who else we have talked to, but I think once the dust settles Gentry will be our next head coach. JMO. I don't have a "favorite" or a "list".
    Dell always plays his cards close to his chest. Dont be surprised by a hire that hasn't run through the media gauntlet.

By your logic Dell would select Gentry before interviewing any candidates except Gentry. Seems like a poor way to hire a top candidate. This will go on a couple more weeks with at least 4+ more interviews of coaches

Dell has formally or informally talked to close to 10 guys now.

Don't worry, he is doing a ton of work. If it's Gentry, it will be because he beat out a bunch of other people

Dell has formally or informally talked to close to 10 guys now.

Don't worry, he is doing a ton of work. If it's Gentry, it will be because he beat out a bunch of other people
    Thank you for the info. I was praying he wasn't right about gentry being the only one interviewed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information