Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Van Gundy being MUM on the situation!

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...candidate-jeff

Jeff Van Gundy was mum on Wednesday afternoon when asked if he was indeed a possible candidate for the Pelicans’ head coaching job.

Yahoo Sports reported on Monday that the Pelicans were interested Van Gundy as a possible replacement for Monty Williams, who was fired last week.

But Van Gundy wouldn’t confirm or deny that report on Wednesday when he and broadcast partner Mark Jackson answered questions on an ESPN conference call.

“I have too much respect for the coaching profession and the sanctity of a job search to publicly to speak about any job openings,” said Van Gundy. “That’s really not my style.”
    Someone that is always not afraid to speak his mind is being quiet about the situation. Could he be interested in the job? Have Loomis and Demps already spoken to him?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Van Gundy being MUM on the situation!

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...candidate-jeff

Someone that is always not afraid to speak his mind is being quiet about the situation. Could he be interested in the job? Have Loomis and Demps already spoken to him?
    I would definitely say there is interest and we have spoken to him. If JVG wasn't he would straight up come out and say how ridiculous rumors are and he isn't interested in coaching. His words he chose are a clear sign that both sides have interest.

Certainly his lack of comments on the situation could indicate that there have been talks that he is keeping quiet. Still, we really don't know anything and we likely won't until an announcement is made.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Hire JVG & bring in Patrick Ewing as an assistant, Pronto ! He would work wonders with AD's low post game !

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Van Gundy has publicly said before that as a coaching professional he would not speak on job openings.

However, when he said that he was referring to coaching jobs while the current coach was still there.

???

He and Sean Miller were the first two names I heard who were aggressively pursuing the job last week
    @mcnamara247

1- Where does Jeff live?
    2- Is it close to NOLA?
    3- Does to accel in big moments as a scorer?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He and Sean Miller were the first two names I heard who were aggressively pursuing the job last week
    Would LOVE JVG w/ Ewing teaching AD !

Really? I like that. I heard about Miller, did not know about JVG.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    JVG would be good. But I can't help but think, "Ditka".

If Jeff Van Gundy doesn't get the job, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because he and Dell differ too much in philosophies. I'd really like to see JVG land this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    If Jeff Van Gundy doesn't get the job, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because he and Dell differ too much in philosophies. I'd really like to see JVG land this one.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    JVG would be good. But I can't help but think, "Ditka".
    At least this is more of a players league than the NFL. Personally, I'd like Ollie but I'm ok with JVG or Miller. Just no Marc Jackson or Avery Johnson. Even Gentry would be ok with me if only because one year around Kerr should be a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    At least this is more of a players league than the NFL. Personally, I'd like Ollie but I'm ok with JVG or Miller. Just no Marc Jackson or Avery Johnson. Even Gentry would be ok with me if only because one year around Kerr should be a benefit.
    Surprised Ollie's name does not come up more. I have not heard that we have contacted Atkinson either (and it may just be as a courtesy since they are still in the playoffs).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Surprised Ollie's name does not come up more. I have not heard that we have contacted Atkinson either (and it may just be as a courtesy since they are still in the playoffs).
    I think Ollie would be a great candidate, but he reportedly rebuffed the Thunders' attempt to get him to go to OKC, where he has a great bond with that team and KD especially, so I don't think it would be realistic to expect him to come here.

Only possibility is if Ollie reached out to Durant and KD was honest and told him they he couldn't promise he would stay in OKC

Only possibility is if Ollie reached out to Durant and KD was honest and told him they he couldn't promise he would stay in OKC
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Ollie must know a little more than what is out there and wasn't confident enough in just having Westbrook. If he couldn't get a guarantee from Durant I would probably hold out if I was him to.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we got JVG to be our next hc. Homerun hire imo

I would be really happy with JVG too. The only guy of the "older" ones that I would be excited about!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    1- Where does Jeff live?
    2- Is it close to NOLA?
    3- Does to accel in big moments as a scorer?
    He lives in Houston

1-6

...we get to go McDonalds
    Sorry if you've already answered this, but have you heard anything in terms of timeline? Is there a date the organization would like to have a coach tabbed by?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    The best thing about Jeff is that he doesn't have a philosophy. He coaches towards the roster he has instead of making square pieces fir in circles like Monty.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I don't get the Marc Jackson hate. And I'm not sure why a career coach is only "OK" because of one year around Steve Kerr. Gentry, in his own right, is possibly as much responsible for Golden State's success as Kerr, IMHO. The defensive system is apparently Malone's (no credit to Marc Jackson) and the offensive system is supposedly Gentry's.

With Hoiberg looking like Chi is a lock

Thibs who I don't want

And Gentry being old a mediocre

JVG is my #1 target he has the attitude and passion this team needs.

Thread Information