Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Don't you remember how bad the team was when Tyreke played SF this year ? That's the biggest reason why the trade for Q-Pon was so great.
    I remember Tyreke playing 1, 2, and 3, coming off the bench and starting, basically doing everything asked of him and making the team better. Not sure why there are so many haters acting like Tyreke is the problem with the Pelicans. Q-Pon has been a huge addition but that has nothing to do with Tyreke being deficient.

What was it Jeff Van Gundy said about Evans?

Don't you remember how bad the team was when Tyreke played SF this year ? That's the biggest reason why the trade for Q-Pon was so great.
    Jrue, EG, Reke, AD, Asik was our 4th highest 5man rotation for minutes, and was a very productive lineup, not sure what you are referring to?

Internet forums are a great science experiment.

It amazes me how people only see what they want to see.

If you have a bias against a player, for whatever reason, you simply see through shrouded glasses. Take DaThrone and AD for example. (I only use this reference because everyone knows it, not to start that debate). He came out swinging on his opinion of AD, and even though he is now 1st team ALL-NBA ,,, his bias won't allow him to see what we all see.

Obviously, my ramblings above are truly referring to coaches, during our coaching search. We all have our opinions, but the sad thing is, most of those opinions do not actually belong to us. Most people (in this coach search) have been swayed by a short paragraph here or there. Or the ever persuasive "internet forum group think."

Nobody knows who the right hire is. Not Dell, not Loomis, and not Mr. B. Certainly none of us fans have a clue.

Why do the majority of posters state " I will be furious if we hire candidate X" Why exactly is that? Based on your 15 minutes of internet research? Based on your knowledge of the inter-workings of a professional basketball team? How about basketball at all? I assume most of us played basketball up to high school. Far less up to college, and probably less than .001% of posters here have made it to the league. Our personal experiences DO NOT QUALIFY us to make this decision. How many of you have ever hired someone who makes over 6 figures? But now you are qualified to screen, interview and hire for 7 figure jobs? C'mon guys.

I am not trying to be the "no fun" police. I understand this is an internet forum and the entire point is to throw out opinions and discuss them. SO LET"S DO THAT.

"I will not renew tickets if we hire Gentry"
    "I Will be pissed with Thibs."
    "I really want to hire attikinson"

Why? Why? Why? Guys, we have a golden opportunity here for some real quality debate. And everyone is just throwing out a baseless, fact-less opinion, with no reasoning. Or using the same, unsubstantiated rumors as your one and only source of reasoning(I.E. it is rumored that Thibs runs his players in to the ground. At this point we have 1 player in 5 years substantiating that, yet it is assumed as a fact?)

Back on track :
    I would be happy with JVG. He is a proven coach, who will command respect from our young guns. I feel that one of Monty's biggest weaknesses was his "Command" of the team. He was their buddy. I believe any new, first-time coach we bring in may fall in to the same trap. We have a bunch of very talented players, all going in to their 4,5,6,7 etc years. (Think corporate America, where they bring in the fresh college grad to "manage" 10 skilled workers who have been doing this for 20 years) It really depends on the coach they bring in, but it is hard to COMMAND respect, with ZERO skins on the wall.
    In addition to the immediate respect he will garner from the players, I like listening to him as an announcer. Much like Kerr in year's past, just listening to JVG many times I just feel that he oozes basketball IQ. He suggests adjustments that should be made by the coach on the sideline, he always seems to know the players strengths and weaknesses, and gives suggestions on how to best maximize those skills. (Sometimes he goes 100% Harry Carey and starts talking about drunk guys with Sombrero's on).

My opinion is simply that JVG is a hard nosed, old school coach --- who importantly --- seems willing to incorporate and adjust as the game changes. An old school coach who incorporates advanced metrics? Sign me up.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 05-22-2015 at 09:38 AM.

if tyreke is handling the ball, but defending SFs would you consider him the SF? And Jrue playing off ball but guarding PGs? then have Gordon or Pondexter as the 3 backcourt guy

Marc stein now reporting he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Lord please NO!

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Marc stein now reporting he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I dont see why he was ever fired, has a great coaching record im excited

Come on down JVG!!!
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Would definitely prefer him over Thibodeau. Not convinced Van Gundy is the best hire, but I think he'd be a very good one. My only concern would be the potential GM/Coach relationship.

Who ran the slowest offensive pace between the two in JVG and Mike Fratello?

The JVG supports now screaming hire him, will be the first ones screaming fire JVG in yr 2 of his slow and outdated coaching style.
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 05-22-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Who ran the slowest offensive pace between the two in JVG and Mike Fratello?
    Van Gundy's pace was slow in Houston - typically bottom 6.

Again, I am not saying this is a bad thing - especially when the defense is so good - but I just can't see Dell wanting to go in that direction
    @mcnamara247

Van Gundy does carry a lot of the concerns of an "old school" coach. That said ... his brother is one of the best in the NBA, a lot of Jeff Van Gundy's "pace" concerns came about likely due to rolling with teams anchored by Ewing/Yao, and advanced stats heavy teams aren't averse to him; Houston hired him and Memphis/Hollinger and co. wanted to a year ago. IMO you could do a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Van Gundy's pace was slow in Houston - typically bottom 6.

Again, I am not saying this is a bad thing - especially when the defense is so good - but I just can't see Dell wanting to go in that direction
    To be fair, any team with Yao Ming was gonna have a slow pace. But yeah I'd rather someone younger than JVG.

I think the great unknown with Van Gundy is what the time off has done for his coaching philosophies. Remember that it's been quite a while since he's been on an NBA sideline. His "old school" philosophies were still pretty current at the time he left. He may very well make some adjustments to adapt to the new game.

Quote Originally Posted by itsADstime View Post
    To be fair, any team with Yao Ming was gonna have a slow pace. But yeah I'd rather someone younger than JVG.
    I sectioned off the games Ming missed, and they were still bottom half. Between 17 and 22, depending on the year

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I think the great unknown with Van Gundy is what the time off has done for his coaching philosophies. Remember that it's been quite a while since he's been on an NBA sideline. His "old school" philosophies were still pretty current at the time he left. He may very well make some adjustments to adapt to the new game.
    Possible. But then we have to give every coaching candidate the benefit of the doubt on their weaknesses. Which I am fine with, but we should be consistent. Is it possible he changed? Sure. Has Gentry changed since Phoenix? Maybe. Will Thibs see the light after Chicago turned on him? Possibly.

I sectioned off the games Ming missed, and they were still bottom half. Between 17 and 22, depending on the year
    Why would you change your teams play because your best guy is missing a few games? Pop used to run a slow pace but as the game changed he has also.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 05-22-2015 at 11:41 PM.

1-6

Look, JVG is a great coach. That is not debatable. At all.

But is he my #1 candidate? No, not personally. But like 7 or 8 guys, he would be a major upgrade from Monty. Can't be mad if he's the guy.

Possible. But then we have to give every coaching candidate the benefit of the doubt on their weaknesses. Which I am fine with, but we should be consistent. Is it possible he changed? Sure. Has Gentry changed since Phoenix? Maybe. Will Thibs see the light after Chicago turned on him? Possibly.
    Don't misunderstand my point. I don't think he'll just magically change all of his stripes. I just think it's a little unfair to paint him squarely as an "old school" coaching style when he hasn't even had the opportunity to coach in the "new NBA." Will he try to keep doing what he did in the 90's the way Thibodeau and Monty have been criticized for? Maybe. But we don't know.

I specifically remember him raving about how Pop ran a slow offense and rebuilt his system around his team. I can't remember when exactly but it was last year and he mentioned it several times how good of a coach he was for doing this and all coaches should adapt to the players they have. I think with this time off he is much more attractive than he was coming off the Houston job. I really believe the position he has been in is better than any job as an assistant learning because he gets to non stop meet with coaches talking about systems and study them at nauseum if he wants. I think he is smart enough to realize what is working in today's NBA and how it has change like he has stated himself. I really think he will be a different coach and what he has learned have a huge impact on what he does and how he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I specifically remember him raving about how Pop ran a slow offense and rebuilt his system around his team. I can't remember when exactly but it was last year and he mentioned it several times how good of a coach he was for doing this and all coaches should adapt to the players they have. I think with this time off he is much more attractive than he was coming off the Houston job. I really believe the position he has been in is better than any job as an assistant learning because he gets to non stop meet with coaches talking about systems and study them at nauseum if he wants. I think he is smart enough to realize what is working in today's NBA and how it has change like he has stated himself. I really think he will be a different coach and what he has learned have a huge impact on what he does and how he does it.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Is it possible he'll come in, try to do exactly what he did in New York and Houston? Sure, I suppose it's possible. I just don't think it's likely that he's been following the game this closely during his time off and not picked up some new thoughts on what he'd do as a coach.

Jeff on the type on offense he likes to run, the more I read up on Jeff the more I want him. He is just a basketball genius like in his video he said the pace is determined on personnel. I'm sure he will see this roster and Dell will talk to him about pace and he will have no problem with a faster pace. I'm sure he will also get some of the top assistants in the NBA. I like Hoiberg and Atikson but those guys are huge unknowns and will have a learning curve. I want someone to come in and teach our guys how to play ball the right way like they've never been taught and demand the most out of them on the court.

jvg needs to stay where he at talking basketball bull he had his shot at it lets bring in somebody new
    and give him a shot we gave monty 5 years and he made it to the playoffs 2 times cause if we keep the
    gm

jvg needs to stay where he at talking basketball bull he had his shot at it lets bring in somebody new
    and give him a shot we gave monty 5 years and he made it to the playoffs 2 times cause if we keep the
    gm it will be a waste of time he can't pick up the talent that the new coach will need just look how many one leg
    players he brought in and how many first round draft picks he gave up for these players

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    pelicanblaze for coach

Thread Information