Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Now let say the franchise chose to go with Dell's way, let him the full power to chose the coach he wants. What if it doesn't work ? Pels fire Demps and our newly hired coach one year later ? And then how do you sell this idea to AD ? "Look man, we screwed one another year of your carreer but at least we have realized that our GM wasn't good"
    then AD is gone probably. cause the building of another team will take couple of years more...

Dell has a chance of completing his mission. he might win, he might fail.
    We do not know what players were Monty's wishes (I guess Evans and Asik, maybe Holiday). He also might have failed if still a coach.

I prefer this way with whole offseason for new coach then change in the middle of season.
    To many variables, to many questions. Change of coach happened - we must deal with it. We have a chance to build something - maybe with JVG...

I am an archaeologist - I am interested in the past. But in this case I am interested only in the future. And thanks to next coach - hopefully - future is bright...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    then AD is gone probably. cause the building of another team will take couple of years more...

Dell has a chance of completing his mission. he might win, he might fail.
    We do not know what players were Monty's wishes (I guess Evans and Asik, maybe Holiday). He also might have failed if still a coach.

I prefer this way with whole offseason for new coach then change in the middle of season.
    To many variables, to many questions. Change of coach happened - we must deal with it. We have a chance to build something - maybe with JVG...

I am an archaeologist - I am interested in the past. But in this case I am interested only in the future. And thanks to next coach - hopefully - future is bright...
    So you prefer let a chance to alienate your franchise player just to let your GM try to accomplish his own crusades ? Just, now, if the team decide to chose for the best coach available, you can still sell the idea of not being a crappy organization that made poor choices.

Just another funny note, I see plenty of people referring to Evans as "Monty's guy". I think he never was, I think it was one of the big reason of the clash between Demps and Williams. Just don't forget one thing about Dell : he LOVES combo-guard. He's the same guy that gave up a first round (which became Tobias Harris BTW) for Jerryd Freaking Bayless. Now it's a very funny thing considering he prones a motion and space system while this type of players are mostly known to stop the flow of th attack.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-25-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    I'm at a point of idc whether he's a name or not a name I just want us to hire a coach so we can get things rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    I'm starting to feel like Atkinson may be their top candidates. I hate to do it but I'm now rooting for Cleveland to sweep them so that we can get on with the show.
    What's the hurry? I'd much rather they hire the right guy sometime in June than rush it and hire the wrong one just to "get on with it". An argument can easily be made that this is the most important hire in the history of New Orleans' sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    What's the hurry? I'd much rather they hire the right guy sometime in June than rush it and hire the wrong one just to "get on with it". An argument can easily be made that this is the most important hire in the history of New Orleans' sports.
    I agree absolutely no reason to rush this hire. Of course I would love for it to happen today but so what if it takes a month. I want Dell and company to do their research and find the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    It's ridiculous to sit here and say Demps has never done anything to warrant power because he's not Presti and blah blah. What has Presti done that Demps hasn't? Drafted 2 guys who basically make that team great? Demps drafted Davis and should get credit for that also then. Traded away Harden which is one of the worst moves any GM has made in a decade. Presti has not done much more than Demps and Demps has actually made a lot of great moves. All of these theories and that's exactly what they are that Demps is trying to control what the teams runs as a coach upstairs is bs. Monty didn't change his coaching style or pace because Demps wanted it. Demps wants a coach he sees eye to eye with like any GM does. Its not like he will be playing coach from the GM spot because he doesn't have to do that. Reason is because he will hire a coach that will run the team the way he envisions and the coach obviously envisions which would be the reason he is hired. He gave Monty some say so in how the roster was built so what makes you believe a new coach won't get the same input but even more since it will be Demps hire who has the same philosophies. Everything regarding what Demps wants with power and other stuff is nothing but pure speculation with 0 facts on the matter when he has actually proven the opposite. Let the guy hire his coach and rebuild this roster with the coach then criticize him but just speculating on stuff we have no idea about makes no sense especially when he has proven to give his coach say so on some roster moves and run a different style he didn't like.
    Wow. I... Just.. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Wow. I... Just.. Wow.
    We disagree on Thibs but I 100% agree with you on this subject
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Some serious naiveté in this thread. You don't have to be a Dell fanboy to be logical. For a few years the team had an owner that didn't hire the GM that didn't hire the coach. That's one of the most ridiculous things in sports. Then, the coach gets fired. The GM does not. In fact, ownership comes out says that the new coach search will be his.

You don't think ownership knows the situation that Dell and Monty both worked under? Yet, they fired Monty and kept Dell. So what happen? Did ownership give Dell a pass and not Monty? Does that sound logical at all? Clearly they looked at the body of work within the context of this unique situation and made a choice. Certain exceptions for performance were probably made for both of them. Yet one is here and the other is not.

Stop trying to rewrite history to fit your narrative and deal with the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    It's ridiculous to sit here and say Demps has never done anything to warrant power because he's not Presti and blah blah. What has Presti done that Demps hasn't? Drafted 2 guys who basically make that team great? Demps drafted Davis and should get credit for that also then. Traded away Harden which is one of the worst moves any GM has made in a decade. Presti has not done much more than Demps and Demps has actually made a lot of great moves. All of these theories and that's exactly what they are that Demps is trying to control what the teams runs as a coach upstairs is bs. Monty didn't change his coaching style or pace because Demps wanted it. Demps wants a coach he sees eye to eye with like any GM does. Its not like he will be playing coach from the GM spot because he doesn't have to do that. Reason is because he will hire a coach that will run the team the way he envisions and the coach obviously envisions which would be the reason he is hired. He gave Monty some say so in how the roster was built so what makes you believe a new coach won't get the same input but even more since it will be Demps hire who has the same philosophies. Everything regarding what Demps wants with power and other stuff is nothing but pure speculation with 0 facts on the matter when he has actually proven the opposite. Let the guy hire his coach and rebuild this roster with the coach then criticize him but just speculating on stuff we have no idea about makes no sense especially when he has proven to give his coach say so on some roster moves and run a different style he didn't like.
    I had your back, but seriously bruh...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    There is no hurry. If Atkinson is their guy, then why wait longer than they have to? I'd rather him get in here and start developing his master plan. I'm sure Dell and co are doing their due diligence with this coaching search.

I still think he is the guy and an announcement will follow soon after the Hawks go fishing.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    What has Presti done!? Oy Vey!!!

I mean, their choices are basically 1. Let Demps take on this search and let him find someone whose vision aligns with his or 2. Let Loomis make the hire, despite his expertise being on the football side, and let him consult with others who know (Dumars???). I'd as soon give Demps the green light here.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    I mean, their choices are basically 1. Let Demps take on this search and let him find someone whose vision aligns with his or 2. Let Loomis make the hire, despite his expertise being on the football side, and let him consult with others who know (Dumars???). I'd as soon give Demps the green light here.
    An insider may be able to correct me but I think, despite public proclamations to the contrary, we are taking option 3. At least that is what I gather.

Dell is taking the lead and holds a good amount of sway but Loomis and Co. are pretty involved and likely have a vote or even final say on the hire.

Dell does all of the work (he's working 16+ hour days these last 3 weeks)

Then, he shares his final group of candidates with Loomis. He interviews them again. Goes over all of it with Loomis. Tells Loomis who he wants. Loomis signs off (or doesn't). Coach is hired.

This is how the process is going/will go
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Then, he shares his final group of candidates with Loomis. He interviews them again. Goes over all of it with Loomis. Tells Loomis who he wants. Loomis signs off (or doesn't). Coach is hired.

There is NO DOUBT (imo)that Dell has had contact w/ several candidates,& probably has a good idea of his leanings.That's why I think GENTRY is OUT of the running.His camp seems to be the camp that's most desparate & the only camp that LEAKED any info of any meeting & the feeling of a subsequent meeting ensuing! Delloom's MO has always been "BUTTON UP". Seems that protocol has been followed to the T. Except the Gentry Camp.

I'm very comfortable with that. And its consistent with what we know about the Monty firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    There is NO DOUBT (imo)that Dell has had contact w/ several candidates,& probably has a good idea of his leanings.That's why I think GENTRY is OUT of the running.His camp seems to be the camp that's most desparate & the only camp that LEAKED any info of any meeting & the feeling of a subsequent meeting ensuing! Delloom's MO has always been "BUTTON UP". Seems that protocol has been followed to the T. Except the Gentry Camp.
    Possible....
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I'm on board and hopeful Dell will chose best candidate available. I will support whoever that is. As far as the Hawks and Rockets (Ouch). Could it be better to get beat in the first round than get embarrassed in the conference finals? When the Hornets got beaten down by the Nuggets in the playoffs it was hard to overcome. But I thought when the Hornets got beat by the Spurs in the 7th game of the second round it was something to build on.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 05-26-2015 at 09:10 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Not long now.....Atkinson will be another candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    I'm on board and hopeful Dell will chose best candidate available. I will support whoever that is. As far as the Hawks and Rockets (Ouch). Could it be better to get beat in the first round than get embarrassed in the conference finals? When the Hornets got beaten down by the Nuggets in the playoffs it was hard to overcome. But I thought when the Hornets got beat by the Spurs in the 7th game of the second round it was something to build on.
    The Rockets don't really have an excuse but the Hawks weren't exactly the same team in the finals. The Hawks were the quintessential sum of their parts team and when so many of their parts were banged up and then missing it is hard to expect them to remain competitive. The cavs, as banged up as they were, still have the best player in the game who has shown he can take almost any team to the finals.

Makes no sense to give him those duties if they dont trust his management and/or basketball acumen is my point. Thanks for clarifying. Dell doesnt own the porsche and the mansion but he has the keys. If they feel like hes botched the last few years why even give him that?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Wow. I... Just.. Wow.
    Explain what is so wow? Lmk what Presti has done that is so special. He made some good draft picks but other than that what? I never said Demps was better by any means I said Presti has not done that much more and he hasn't. If you wanna blame Demps for bad things then blame Presti who has traded away a top 5 player for nothing. Traded for a garbage Perkins. Instead of saying wow lmk what in my post is so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    What has Presti done!? Oy Vey!!!
    Never said he wasn't a good GM or didn't draft some great players. I just want an answer on what he has done so special? He drafted Durant and we drafted AD. His team was so terrible he was able to go after Westbrook and Harden being in the top of the draft for 3 years. He traded away Harden which was the biggest mistake of any GM in a long time and will most likely be the reason that teams breaks up. He has put together some pretty terrible benches and has not surrounded Westbrook Durant and Ibaka with anything. Dell wasn't fortunate enough to have picks 2, 3, and 4. Ibaka was a great find but other than that he was handed some great players. Dell landed an All Star PG who was barely legal to drink and without fluke injuries that is a great trade and still can be. His mistake which is a little unfair considering with ownership and being the prized piece in the CP3 trade he was basically forced to sign Gordon who at the time was considered right behind Kobe and Wade as an upcoming top SG. Yea it's easy to say now it was a bad signing but Dell had no choice. Got Anderson for Ayon who I could have sworn was the next Dirk the way this board loved him until people turn on our player because of injuries which is typical here. Presti has made some terrible trades but has had a nice history drafting and I would hope so with the talent in those drafts and where he was picking. They were both put in completely different situations also. Dell has done a damn good job with a small market team losing its superstar.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-26-2015 at 11:24 PM.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Couldn't an alternate possibility be that Gentry is still in the running and since he's still in the playoffs, he can't necessarily go through the interview process until season's over? And by putting it out there that he's been interviewed, it allows the pelicans to see what the potential reaction would be? Seems a stretch (that they'd test the public reaction), but a possibility nonetheless. I guess I just tend to think that nothing can be gleaned in regards to Gentry just yet cause the Warriors are still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    I think he wants the job. Now it up to Benson to pay him and Demps to give up some control

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._most-comments
    Don't read that garbage. They have no clue what they are talking about and have an agenda. They are anti-Demps, it's so clear. Plus, they don't have Pels sources. Only two of us do - BSS and The Advocate

Don't read that garbage. They have no clue what they are talking about and have an agenda. They are anti-Demps, it's so clear. Plus, they don't have Pels sources. Only two of us do - BSS and The Advocate
    Actually I was reading more into his(JVG)interview with Dan Patrick today.

Thread Information