Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy is now a candidate ???

Im ok with certain coaches having a contractual input(guys that have proven themselves as scouts and/or elite coaches) but I am not nearly as ok with the whole GM and coach thing. Both jobs are just way too demanding and one or the other is bound to suffer in the process. Rivers is a perfect example of that model hurting your franchise.

I think Sean Payton and Loomis have established a great model for a coach/GM relationship. Mutual respect and collaborative input but the GM retains final say and control.

If we bring in JVG, Thibs or Calipari, I would hope we would attempt to establish that sort of relationship.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-21-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    A little ridiculous to think Demps will get fired when he's making the call on the coach haha. I bet that's exactly what he wants to do is go hire a coach who wants full control basically firing himself. I don't see why it is so hard for people to understand that a lot of these coaches would probably love to come in and work with someone like Demps. JVG of all people would probably really value having someone like him in the front office who is a tireless worker and very good talent evaluator. Very few coaches in the NBA have full control. Hell Phil Jackson didn't even have full control. I think Dell is a perfect fit for coaches who want to come in and actually coach while having someone in the front office they can work with and have input on things seeing eye to eye for the most part. I think whoever comes in will have a very similiar working relationship as Payton and Loomis with both having control and input making decisions. Loomis handles all of the scouting and contracts while Payton lets him know what he's looking for with some final say on bringing in this or that guy.
    I would think someone like JVG would want significant input. If you recall from his comments during our telecasts, he did not seem overly impressed with the way our roster was put together (which was Dell's doing). Could he live with that going forward? Maybe, if he is content that he can work with it given he has AD. Who knows?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would think someone like JVG would want significant input. If you recall from his comments during our telecasts, he did not seem overly impressed with the way our roster was put together (which was Dell's doing). Could he live with that going forward? Maybe, if he is content that he can work with it given he has AD. Who knows?
    Bet he specifically had issue with Tyreke and Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    CLASSIC
    SIGN A SF

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Dell's doing? So are people really convinced Dell was the one who wanted Asik? No, that was Monty's guy. Every move we make isn't solely on Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Dell's doing? So are people really convinced Dell was the one who wanted Asik? No, that was Monty's guy. Every move we make isn't solely on Demps.
    Dell built this roster and I assume as GM wants to do so going forward. Was Tyreke Monty's guy? I recall JVG did not speak too highly of him either.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Dell built this roster and I assume as GM wants to do so going forward. Was Tyreke Monty's guy? I recall JVG did not speak too highly of him either.
    I recall what JVG went to the 2000 EC Finals with. Good Gravy,that team was WHEW, lets just say, GREAT COACHING! Charlie Ward--Allan Houston--Latrell Sprewell--Granmama & Ewing were your starters & the bench players were WORSE, much much WORSE. Camby, Kurt Thomas, Chris Dudley & a bunch of UPS drivers..

I have no idea, but to think that a GM doesn't build the roster with some discretion from the HC is ludicrous. I would be willing to bet $$ that Asik was more Monty's signing than Demps.

I have no idea, but to think that a GM doesn't build the roster with some discretion from the HC is ludicrous. I would be willing to bet $$ that Asik was more Monty's signing than Demps.
    I agree as well. I think Monty wanted him but it was Dells decision to part with a 1st rounder for him. Which was a bad move imo. Especially considering he is ufa now.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree as well. I think Monty wanted him but it was Dells decision to part with a 1st rounder for him. Which was a bad move imo. Especially considering he is ufa now.
    You are still hung up on the trade? Monty wanted Asik, Demps did what he had to do to get him. Giving up the #18 overall pick for a starting center isn't lopsided. We are talking about #18.

It was also Dell that traded away a serviceable center on a cheap contract for Tyreke which created a whole in the middle and a need for Asik. The Pels needed a SF and instead Dell goes out and gets an SG which started the chain reaction that culminated in Asik
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    It was also Dell that traded away a serviceable center on a cheap contract for Tyreke which created a whole in the middle and a need for Asik. The Pels needed a SF and instead Dell goes out and gets an SG which started the chain reaction that culminated in Asik
    Chances we made the playoffs having Lopez instead of Tyreke? Given the injuries I'd say Tyreke was our second most important piece to a successful season.

All-Star
    Perhaps JVG and others who follow the NBA closely have observed negative things about Tyreke and his game. But what I saw was a guy busting his hump and making a lot of big offensive plays. His versatility and willingness to play a variety of positions was so important. And I was very surprised, based on what I know about his prior NBA history, that he made such an effective PG. But I hope Jrue comes back healthy! I do not like the talk of Tyreke being our starting PG next season and trading Jrue even if he 100% ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    Chances we made the playoffs having Lopez instead of Tyreke? Given the injuries I'd say Tyreke was our second most important piece to a successful season.
    only cos Jrue was injured

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    only cos Jrue was injured
    But he was injured... That's the point, Tyreke was able to cover 3 positions for us which was invaluable with the amount of injuries this team seems to always incur. Therefore, this move proved to be a good one.

Maybe, just maybe, Tyreke was both valuable last year and not ideal long term. Both sides can be right in this one. I don't see you guys arguing something that is either/or.

Could easily be both
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, Tyreke was both valuable last year and not ideal long term. Both sides can be right in this one. I don't see you guys arguing something that is either/or.

Could easily be both
    I agree but the point was that he said it was a bad move to give up Lopez for Tyreke so I stated that our chances of making the playoffs... yada yada yada

I agree but the point was that he said it was a bad move to give up Lopez for Tyreke so I stated that our chances of making the playoffs... yada yada yada
    I did not say that. The original point was that Asik was a Monty player then KC said But Dell signed him and I merely added that it was a string of moves initiated by Dell that resulted in the Pels getting Asik

You are still hung up on the trade? Monty wanted Asik, Demps did what he had to do to get him. Giving up the #18 overall pick for a starting center isn't lopsided. We are talking about #18.
    Giving up a 1st rd pick for a guy who is an ufa. That's a big thing. So, you're telling me if he walks, his 1 year service was worth our 1st rd pick?? You have to be kidding.

In other words what he meant was that we were in a position of need for Asik cause of his moves before that, or lack of moves.

I did not say that. The original point was that Asik was a Monty player then KC said But Dell signed him and I merely added that it was a string of moves initiated by Dell that resulted in the Pels getting Asik
    Gotcha

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Tyreke plays SF when we need him to and he plays SG when Gordon is out (which is most of the season). Good trade by Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Tyreke plays SF when we need him to and he plays SG when Gordon is out (which is most of the season). Good trade by Dell.
    Tyreke Evans a starting 3?? Yea ok. We will never be a legit contender with that happening.

Tyreke Evans a starting 3?? Yea ok. We will never be a legit contender with that happening.
    To be fair, nowhere in his quote does he say "Tyreke Evans is a starting 3 on a legit contender". Or anything remotely close.

I think it is pretty obvious people disagree on whether the trade was good from their own view point. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Don't you remember how bad the team was when Tyreke played SF this year ? That's the biggest reason why the trade for Q-Pon was so great.

Thread Information