Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jahlil Okafor

I would buy in on Mudiay and move Rubio, but I am no NBA scout. My thinking with Mudiay is, Exum (the Jazz pick last year) was more touted than Mudiay, and Exum was a complete flop his rookie year. What he was able to do against international competition didn't mean squat when it was his time to play in the pros. I fear the same thing with Mudiay as, who has he really faced to give anyone any serious confidence that his game will translate? Obviously your rookie year isn't the end all be all for ones career, but I smell a Dante Exum level let down his rookie year, which would lead to the Wolves being back in the lottery next year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would buy in on Mudiay and move Rubio, but I am no NBA scout. My thinking with Mudiay is, Exum (the Jazz pick last year) was more touted than Mudiay, and Exum was a complete flop his rookie year. What he was able to do against international competition didn't mean squat when it was his time to play in the pros. I fear the same thing with Mudiay as, who has he really faced to give anyone any serious confidence that his game will translate? Obviously your rookie year isn't the end all be all for ones career, but I smell a Dante Exum level let down his rookie year, which would lead to the Wolves being back in the lottery next year.
    differnce between mudiay and exum though, exum didn't play for a league, just the FIBA tournament which was really unusual.. and stupid for his development, however mudiay played in the china league, against real men.. it does wonders for your game

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So if Lebron would have gone there, he would have been bad?

Evaluate each player individually. Not the school he attended for 9 months
    You're big on history being a guide to the future. Historically, Duke players don't do well in the pros. Its not an indictment its actually props to Coach K. He gets the best out of his players. Its safe to say that Okafor has a good probability to be average at best.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    You're big on history being a guide to the future. Historically, Duke players don't do well in the pros. Its not an indictment its actually props to Coach K. He gets the best out of his players. Its safe to say that Okafor has a good probability to be average at best.
    Where a player went to school for 9 months is not a good use of history. You look at stats, size/weight dynamics, even wingspan and athletic markings and say, "Well, of the last 10 seven footers who had a wingspan this short, 9 have been busts" ---- that would be a good use of history. Something as arbitrary as where a guy played for 9 months is not. He will play the game for 30 years, from childhood to when he retires. 9 months is a blip on that radar.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    differnce between mudiay and exum though, exum didn't play for a league, just the FIBA tournament which was really unusual.. and stupid for his development, however mudiay played in the china league, against real men.. it does wonders for your game
    While true, Exum came in with a hype about him not seen since Rubio went into the draft, while Mudiay hasn't been less hyped (if that makes sense). I imagine his size, speed, and other attributes are a huge seller for Mudiay, but I don't see the shine others seem to.

I don't buy into the "Where you went to college is the end all be all." It doesn't make sense to say that some one and done kid is cursed because of where he went to school when 1 year ago Towns and Okafor were both offered scholarships for multiple schools (not just the ones that they went to), and only spent 9 months at that location. People say that few Duke players make it in the NBA however they don't take into account how many players from Duke make it to the NBA. With such a large sample size to pull from there is no doubt many will wash out, but that isn't talked about. How many guys in the NBA (right now) played for Duke, compared to those from other school? Heck, as great a recruiter as Cal is, who has more players (right now) in the NBA? Its Duke!

http://rpiratings.com/NBA.php
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-20-2015 at 10:34 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    Winslow looks like an amazing prospect
    He is someone I'd LOVE to see us get back into the 1st to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    i dont think you read what i said, his contract is undeserving.. but if you keep him one more year and give him a valuable contract the next is better off than shipping him off for nothing.. i would rather tyreke off the roster
    The trade suggestion had us getting Budinger for him, I'd take Budinger over Gordon any day

So if Lebron would have gone there, he would have been bad?

Evaluate each player individually. Not the school he attended for 9 months
    I agree, but to be fair, some schools make it difficult to evaluate players, I'm looking at you KANSAS.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I never get this "lakers good is good for basketball". Why? Because they have a winning history? They can rot at the bottom of the conference from here to all eternity as far as i'm concerned
    This is exactly why they are good for basketball. The hate people have for them is attractive and the love people have for them is also. For instance I hate Lebron James and there is no one I like to see lose more than him which has me tuning into every game he plays. I never said I wanted the Lakers to be good but them being atleast relevant with some names on their team is good for basketball.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-20-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Because of where the game is now and where it's going. Even if, best case scenario, he is Al Jefferson - that kind of guy isn't super valuable anymore in this league. I would take both of the guards and Winslow over him. Maybe Johnson too if I have a staff that can help him mature
    He's much closer to Demarcus than Al Jefferson...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    He's much closer to Demarcus than Al Jefferson...
    I see his ceiling more of a poor man's Duncan than anything else. He's not as athletic as Boogie but is noticeablely more athletic than Al. If he's already trimmed the weight like I've heard he has it should improve his defenses ceiling as well.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-21-2015 at 09:34 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He is someone I'd LOVE to see us get back into the 1st to take.
    Would have to get into the top 10, what would that cost us? Not real sure of NBA pick value.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I see his ceiling more of a poor man's Duncan than anything else. He's not as athletic as Boogie but is noticeablely more athletic than Al. If he's already trimmed the weight like I've heard he has it should improve his defenses ceiling as well.
    I agree, wow lol no just messing. I think Okafor is the best offensive big in the draft this year and I don't think he will have trouble scoring at the next level. I can't remember where I saw it but there's a recent pic of him and you can tell he lost some weight. Defensively is the biggest ? with him, because he just doesn't have all the fundamentals yet. He will have to be taught and molded in that regard.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Read the Phil mite move the pick if they don't land in the top 3. What would it cost us to move into the 4th spot? Is there a player anybody would want if we could?
    Justice Winslow - he is the all around hustler that this team needs to get our motor into high gear.

Thread Information