Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How the Pelicans Can Create Room for a DeAndre Jordan max contract

How the Pelicans Can Create Room for a DeAndre Jordan max contract

I know it is something we will be talking about for the next few weeks, so here are the logistics

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/?p=49718

Which would you do?
    @mcnamara247

My initial reaction would be that it's ideal to trade Tyreke, because:

1) We've had a hard time trying to find where he fits in on this team (he seems to have a role, but the previous coaching staff couldn't seem to find where it was. Maybe the new staff can?)
    2) Keeping Gordon's expiring still gives us some flexibility for next off season.

Of course, this is ideal for me. Not sure how realistic it is.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know it is something we will be talking about for the next few weeks, so here are the logistics

Which would you do?
    If Dell can do it without giving up too much talent,
    why wouldn't he?

I think DJ would be a great fit with Davis and we would possibly have the starting 4 and 5 All-stars.

excuse the ignorance, is it even possible to do an Asik sign and trade with the clippers? Would they want Asik to replace Jordan? Obviously we would have to give up more than Asik to match salaries, but is this even a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    excuse the ignorance, is it even possible to do an Asik sign and trade with the clippers? Would they want Asik to replace Jordan? Obviously we would have to give up more than Asik to match salaries, but is this even a possibility?
    It wouldn't be enough. You would have to throw in another piece like Ryno too for salary purposes. You would have to send out at least $14 mil in salary. Would just be too difficult IMO - put it in the piece, though, since I know others will ask. Thanks
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-19-2015 at 10:48 AM.

It wouldn't be enough. You would have to throw in another piece like Ryno too for salary purposes.
    So if we sign Asik for 12-14 Million a year- and Deandre is around 19 Million a year, we would have to give up Ryno to make the salaries match? Bummer.

We really want to consider adding DJ to a team that is already basketball IQ challenged? No thanks.
    the Legend has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    So if we sign Asik for 12-14 Million a year- and Deandre is around 19 Million a year, we would have to give up Ryno to make the salaries match? Bummer.
    Or Q-Pon or Cole. And that would be if the Clips wanted Asik, which I doubt Doc would. It just seems far less likely than another route, which are all somewhat unlikely on their own. Jordan would have to pick the Pels over probably 8-10 other teams that will offer him the same money plus the Clippers who will be able to offer slightly more

Option 3 without question

Another thing to consider - Gentry and DJ have a connection. How would you feel about Gentry if DJ's people told you that he would sign here if Gentry was your hire?

Another thing to consider - Gentry and DJ have a connection. How would you feel about Gentry if DJ's people told you that he would sign here if Gentry was your hire?
    I'd love it even more. Jordan is a HUGE upgrade for this rouster over Asik and it's not event close. Its about a 99.9% chance that it isn't happening tho. Lol..no need to even get hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I'd love it even more. Jordan is a HUGE upgrade for this rouster over Asik and it's not event close. Its about a 99.9% chance that it isn't happening tho. Lol..no need to even get hopes up.
    Let's say Jordan does want to leave the Clippers - what destinations do you think he would definitely rank about New Orleans and AD?

MM I feel that you've gone all fanboy since the Monty Williams left.

It's been relatively conservative type pickups or trade proposal articles you've given us for so long, now suddenly you're putting out ideas that sound crazy, some might say even unrealistic. But knowing the sources that you have....

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    MM I feel that you've gone all fanboy since the Monty Williams left.

It's been relatively conservative type pickups or trade proposal articles you've given us for so long, now suddenly you're putting out ideas that sound crazy, some might say even unrealistic. But knowing the sources that you have....

People want to know how the logistics would work, so I posted a logistics article.

The title is not 'Jordan to New Orleans a done deal'!

I just know that the logistics is the boring stuff, so I help out with that and people can run where they want with it.

Rookie
    If DJ was a target, option 3 would be far and away the top choice. Unfortunately, I don't think other teams see the same value for Tyreke Evans as you do. Regardless, it would be addition by subtraction and create cap room which is a win. The reimbursement would be a bonus. With all that said, as much as I like DJ as a player, I'm not sure he's the best fit here. He would be perfect for the Trailblazers, Cavs, Wizards and of course the Clippers. Unless of course Jrue Holiday could be a healthy 36+ MPG true point guard that he was brought over to be. That's a big 'if' though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Trading Evans is the optimum choice.

Unless DJ is adamant about coming here I rather stand pat and try Durant next year.

1-6

I think we will definitely make a run at DJ. However I do not believe Dell can convince him to come play in NOLA. I think Dallas is the most likely landing spot with Jordan being from Houston and likely wanting to play in a larger market. There is also the no income tax thing to consider.

Not sure if that frees up anyone we can pursue (other than Chandler) as I am not sure of Dallas' cap situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Unless DJ is adamant about coming here I rather stand pat and try Durant next year.
    You can try for both. Even if AD and DeAndre are maxed, you can still give KD a max and have either Jrue or Tyreke too.

Hypothetically, if Kevin Durant were to sign with us, would we use him mostly at the 3?

Clippers are over the cap, they can't receive a player in a sign and trade. Actually, same situation would apply to us as well.

Which would you do?
    Do you think we would offer a 4 year max deal with player options starting after year 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonetiks View Post
    Do you think we would offer a 4 year max deal with player options starting after year 1?
    We would give him whatever he says it would take. As would the other teams. He would drive that

I thought we had had enough of centres with no offensive game?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I thought we had had enough of centres with no offensive game?
    But dunking is one more offensive thing that Asik can't do.

Thread Information