Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How the Pelicans Can Create Room for a DeAndre Jordan max contract

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I think Gordon has more trade value than we give him credit. He played well this season. Is he a max contract player...no, but His value I think skyrocketed this season. Was he pretty healthy , did he shoot well , and he is an expiring contract . Not saying we could get much back, but dumping his salary will be easier this year than ever before.
    Yea him being an expiring alone is gonna be attractive to some teams. Plus they can get a very solid SG who is one of the better 3 point shooters in the NBA with another off season of health improving his game and body. I think we could actually get a decent return for him but I really don't know who. It mite be more valuable for us to play the year out and let his contract come off the books though freeing up space to make some moves. If we can let Gordon expire, not sign Asik, and dump Tyreke we could have some serious ammo to go after some top guys and reshape this team. I'm sure Dell already has a plan and I'm excited to let it all play out.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-19-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't think DJ would be as effective on offense without CP3 setting him up with easy buckets. Davis and DJ front court could have spacing problems I don't believe he is a good enough complimentary piece for the Pelicans to be worth a max contract. I definitely wouldn't get rid of Tyreke to make it happen.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You might not be in the minority if you expanded on this with reasons, facts, numbers, etc
    I don't think DeAndre is well developed enough offensively to be worth max money. I think he's somewhat (not entirely) a product of Chris Paul and unless Chris Paul is coming with him, you can pretty much bank on his numbers going down all around. A max money player to me is someone who can play two ways and there's never any debate as to whether he's one of your last 5 on the court. I'm not sure if Draymond is a max player either, but I'd heavily consider giving him the $ over DeAndre if we lived in a world where either were legitimate options.

I like what DeAndre brings to the table, but a max deal is a large sum of money and if a small market team makes a mistake with a max contract, they're dead in the water. You also have to consider that a small market team can only really afford 2 max money players. Is DeAndre a number 2 for a title contender? I don't think so and considering he was just on a team where was a number 3 and they got put out makes me lean moreso to the side that says he isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I don't think DJ would be as effective on offense without CP3 setting him up with easy buckets. Davis and DJ front court could have spacing problems I don't believe he is a good enough complimentary piece for the Pelicans to be worth a max contract. I definitely wouldn't get rid of Tyreke to make it happen.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I don't think DeAndre is well developed enough offensively to be worth max money. I think he's somewhat (not entirely) a product of Chris Paul and unless Chris Paul is coming with him, you can pretty much bank on his numbers going down all around. A max money player to me is someone who can play two ways and there's never any debate as to whether he's one of your last 5 on the court. I'm not sure if Draymond is a max player either, but I'd heavily consider giving him the $ over DeAndre if we lived in a world where either were legitimate options.

I like what DeAndre brings to the table, but a max deal is a large sum of money and if a small market team makes a mistake with a max contract, they're dead in the water. You also have to consider that a small market team can only really afford 2 max money players. Is DeAndre a number 2 for a title contender? I don't think so and considering he was just on a team where was a number 3 and they got put out makes me lean moreso to the side that says he isn't worth it.
    I personally think DJ would be a great fit here but that is just my opinion I can see why people disagree. I would pay the max in a heartbeat for Green who I think finishing games at the 4 next to Davis playing the 5 would be incredible. That would be the most versatile offensive and defensive front court the NBA has seen in a long time. People can hate Green all they want but we need that type of player on this team and he would instantly be a fan favorite if here instead of GS.

Rookie
    The win-win situation could be:
    NOP gets: DJ and one of LAC trash bench player
    LAC gets: OA, Withey,QPon and draft pick.

NOP gets a help for AD and keeps Ajinca. Ryno minutes get decreased (especially in cold nights), might use jrue,gordon,reke in 1,2 and dante and Babbitt might develop in 3.

LAC-Hawes/OA and promising Withey trio solves LAC's center problem for the next 10 years. In Qpon and reasonable draft pick LAC gets help from bench and can rid surplus players off (i.e. Hedo, Big Baby,etc...)

For every 48 minutes DJ stats are 16.1 points, 20.9 rebs and 39.7% FTs.
    Omer Asik's stats for that is 13.4 points, 18.1 rebs and 58.2% FTs.

So, Omer will give 83 - 86 % what DJ gives to LAC and LAC will cover that 15% with additional players.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I personally think DJ would be a great fit here but that is just my opinion I can see why people disagree. I would pay the max in a heartbeat for Green who I think finishing games at the 4 next to Davis playing the 5 would be incredible. That would be the most versatile offensive and defensive front court the NBA has seen in a long time. People can hate Green all they want but we need that type of player on this team and he would instantly be a fan favorite if here instead of GS.
    I say heck w/ breaking the bank w/ him!

Go after Kris Middleton 6'8" SG, Demarre Carroll 6'8" SF & Kevin Seraphin at C ! Those 3 combined may cost you about 2-3 mill over what DJ would Cost! Take a chance on Seraphin as a starter & re-sign Ajinca

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Scarborian View Post

NOP gets a help for AD and keeps Ajinca. Ryno minutes get decreased (especially in cold nights), might use jrue,gordon,reke in 1,2 and dante and Babbitt might develop in 3.

LAC-Hawes/OA and promising Withey trio solves LAC's center problem for the next 10 years. In Qpon and reasonable draft pick LAC gets help from bench and can rid surplus players off (i.e. Hedo, Big Baby,etc...)

So, Omer will give 83 - 86 % what DJ gives to LAC and LAC will cover that 15% with additional players.
    I'd rather give them Ryno than give them Qpon solely because ryno can't play SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I say heck w/ breaking the bank w/ him!

Go after Kris Middleton 6'8" SG, Demarre Carroll 6'8" SF & Kevin Seraphin at C ! Those 3 combined may cost you about 2-3 mill over what DJ would Cost! Take a chance on Seraphin as a starter & re-sign Ajinca
    Who is doing all the rebounding with Seraphin as our starter? Dude pulls down less boards than Ajinca. 13% TRB. Can't expect AD to carry it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Scarborian View Post

They would troll us and offer Rivers as the trash bench player!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    They would troll us and offer Rivers as the trash bench player!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest troll would be LAC offering Hedo the clown to fill postion 3. A new messiah for the troubled SF position.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Agree
    Kevin Love and AD would make a great front court. Would feel great about giving him the max and trade Ryan Anderson

How did love fall into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    How did love fall into this?
    Sometimes it just happens when you least expect it, you can't force it

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Kevin Love and AD would make a great front court. Would feel great about giving him the max and trade Ryan Anderson
    I'm sure we'll have throw a few more pieces to make it work but I would do it. I truly believe ryno would do a better job with Cleveland as a perimeter shooter than what love is doing now.

So basically trade ryno for a better version of ryno who hey still can't defend

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    So basically trade ryno for a better version of ryno who hey still can't defend
    He isn't a lockdown defender but he is better at defense than Ryno. I would prefer to pair Davis with a big man who has range because that opens up the paint for AD and drives to the basket by Tyreke.

Thread Information